Thebes» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Order of Congress: The curious behaviour of three explorers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Eldridge
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the night of 27/6/09, whilst Laurie, Randy and Merric played Brass and ran ahead and barely above the income red line, Josh, Ian and myself busied ourselves in setting up Thebes. Ian was our first-time player, and while we set up the board Josh and I explained the rules to Ian. Seeing as it is a game that I've played many times over as well as Josh, the rules explaining went without a hitch and Ian hitched a ride on the Thebes train to many exotic locations such as Greece, Crete, Egypt and so forth!

I went as Blue, Josh as Yellow and Ian as Red. The earlier part of the game was spent mainly collecting knowledge around the many centres of our board, and it became quickly evident that my shuffling still needs fine tuning when the cards were flipped over! Josh seemed to follow a Congress+concentrate on Palestine and Mesopotamia strategy, I followed a similar strategy to start with but Josh getting the lucky congress card draws, so I mainly did the best I could from my digs everywhere in the Mediterrainean and beyond. Ian followed a more balanced strategy of getting solid returns from Crete, Greece, Mesopotamia and Egypt. Notable also was my first dig at Crete. I had an incredibly lucky draw with eight knowledge and received 22 points for my first dig alone!

Josh used an interesting but effective strategy of clearing the cards at Warsaw and henceforth getting the congress cards from the resulting re-deal. Mind you, this occurred when Ian and I were digging merrily away in faraway places such as Egypt and Crete, so we gave a little too much free rein in the heartland. Exhibitions mainly came up earlier in the game, so we didn't have as much oppotunity to present our achaelogical findings as it was in my previous games with Randy, Merric and Josh.

When the bell tolled loudly in the Big Ben in London at the end of 1903, it was time to return home and assess our successes collaboratively at the British Museum!

Scores:

Artifacts:
Crete (Purple): Richard- 22, Josh- 0, Ian- 12
Greece (Orange): Richard- 16, Josh- 0, Ian- 18
Palestine (Green): Richard- 3, Josh- 29, Ian- 0
Mesopotamia (Blue): Richard- 1, Josh- 20, Ian- 12
Egypt (Yellow): Richard- 10, Josh- 2, Ian- 19

Exhibitions:
Richard- 5, Josh- 4, Ian- 13

Congress:
Richard- 3, Josh- 21(!), Ian- 1

Knowledge:
Richard: Mesopotamia +5, Crete +5, Egypt +3 (split with Josh due to tie in knowledge total)
Josh: Palestine +5, Egypt +3 (split points as above)
Ian: Greece +5

FINAL SCORES:

Richard: 73 Josh: 84, Ian: 70

All in all, a closely played game, but I had the growing feeling that Josh had the win with his congresses before scoring was tallied. Thus he was the one toasted with quarter-full McDonalds coke cups in the city of London (or Ballarat if you prefer ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.