Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Alexander Corzo
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long wait I finally purchased a brand new copy of the ASLRB 2ed and at a reasonable price to boot!

I know I can set Vasl or other software but I was hoping to try some preliminary games with a friend FtF. ( I didn't get the Starter Kits because I'm not made out of money and I know eventually I would need to get the full rules)

So, while I wait for Beyond Valor to get to market, I guess I'm stuck right?

I noticed that section K requires Paratrooper...yes it's out OOP too. AArgh!! Is Paratrooper compatible with 2nd edition? I heard the counters changed a little.

Is there anything I can buy to tide me over? Or even download? I wouldn't mind printing out something reasonable, something to tide me over.

thanks for any ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used VASL while reading chapter K which is included in the 2nd edition. It worked quite well, as they are switching the maps several times. So you don`t have to own anything else do complete the training. You get even more, as the new chapter K contains additional material not included in PARA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd skim over the rules a couple of times. BV is only a month out. Chapter K (most of) can be understood without any parts. VASL would help with that though.

ASL is not a quick learn so don't concern yourself with needing stuff already, you'll just get annoyed and quit. Get familiar with the phases and counter mapping found on the RB inside covers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you have decided against the Starter Kits, but I still highly recommend them to help you learn the game, unless you have someone teach you. If you only want to get one, make it the third. It is relatively cheap. The scenarios are great fun. Then get Beyond Valor when it comes out and jump into the full game. The learning curve is much more gentle this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulus22 wrote:
I know you have decided against the Starter Kits, but I still highly recommend them to help you learn the game, unless you have someone teach you. If you only want to get one, make it the third. It is relatively cheap. The scenarios are great fun. Then get Beyond Valor when it comes out and jump into the full game. The learning curve is much more gentle this way.

I agree. After owning full ASL for a couple of years, I still like to play the SK's. I would recommend SK2 though if you've never played full ASL. It will help the transition better. Paratroopers can be bought for a reasonable price on ebay, but I believe the SK's were designed to replace it.

Good luck,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Alexander Corzo wrote:
Is Paratrooper compatible with 2nd edition? I heard the counters changed a little.

Paratrooper is fully compatible with the 2nd edition ASL Rulebook. I can't actually think of any ASL product that wouldn't be compatible with the 2nd edition.

Paratrooper does include all of the counters needed to play small ASL scenarios, but it doesn't contain all of the needed mapboards, because, at the time it was introduced, it was assumed that every buyer would already own the maps from the original Squad Leader game.

The only products that give you everything you need to start playing ASL in one box are the Starter Kits... but they don't include all of the counters needed to play with the full ASL rules (counters such as snipers, concealment, berserk, rubble, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have extra copies of boards 1-4 whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmb
MMP anounced today that Beyond Valor was in the house, sans box. It should be available again anytime now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akiva
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
MMP anounced today that Beyond Valor was in the house, sans box. It should be available again anytime now.

Excellent!

Where'd you see this announcement, by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blanton
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was in the MMP folder over on ConsimWorld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akiva
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGamersArmory wrote:
It was in the MMP folder over on ConsimWorld.

Well, that cracks it then. I'm finally going to register over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.