Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Burdett

Honeoye Falls
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - had a fun game of Talavera yesterday, but the following questions came up:

1. When infantry travels by road, will the counter be parallel or perpendicular to it? If parallel, can you choose which direction it faces? My opponent felt like the counter should be perpendicular and thus in "column" and vulnerable to flanking from any side. I agree in spirit, but the wording "along the road" implied parallel and thus I could face it either direction (protecting my vulnerable left flank in this case).

2. Victor is the army commander, but also a formation commander until J arrives. I activated a subordinate formation of his, and moved him (his formation was not activated). Does he get flipped to activated when he moves. I argued that he wasn't, and indeed I was trying to position him to put his formation into command.

3. I don't understand the retreat rule. Let's say French attack, win the battle, and choose not to retreat. Do I still have to roll a die to see if a unit is flipped? Or is it just the loser that does that?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Miller
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in responding. Didn't see this till late yesterday and wanted to coordinate answers with the developer.

Q: When infantry travels by road, will the counter be parallel or perpendicular to it?

A: Parallel. See [13.35].

Q: If parallel, can you choose which direction it faces?

Yes.

Q: My opponent felt like the counter should be perpendicular and thus in "column" and vulnerable to flanking from any side.

A: We considered this, and even playtested this option, but determined that it created some gamey situations.

Q: Victor is the army commander, but also a formation commander until J arrives. I activated a subordinate formation of his, and moved him (his formation was not activated). Does he get flipped to activated when he moves. I argued that he wasn't, and indeed I was trying to position him to put his formation into command.

A: We're assuming you mean Victor when you say "him" or "he". If so, Victor can move as the army commander without activating his formation as per [13.4], and he is not flipped to "activated". Note that when Victor's formation *is* activated, Victor cannot move since he may only move once per turn.

Q: I don't understand the retreat rule. Let's say French attack, win the battle, and choose not to retreat. Do I still have to roll a die to see if a unit is flipped? Or is it just the loser that does that?

A: If the French commander chooses to not retreat, he must still roll the die vs morale as per [14.4]. If he fails, he must fall back (and reduce his losses). The troops don't always stand fast when ordered.

Note that [14.4] has been modified as per the latest FAQ which can be found via the Eagles of the Empire thread at Consimworld.com. We attempted twice to upload it here, but BGG has rejected it for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.