Subject: Looking for a good FLGS in Oakland County, MI rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as the subject says. Anyone know any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm aware of none in Oakland County. Perhaps the best in metro Detroit is RiW Hobbies in Livonia (Five Mile and Middlebelt).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RIW is great. There's Vault of Midnight in Ann Arbor (not Oakland County, but in the area). But check out RIW on 5 and Middlebelt. You won't be dissapointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vawter
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howell - Hero Quest Comix and games
Brighton - Just for Fun Hobbies
Livonia - RiW
Ortonville - Red Dragon
Garden City - Pandemonium
Flint - Gamer's Sanctuary

I agree with the previous posters that RiW is hands down the BEST Board gaming store in Michigan. Pam is great, and the staff are gamers so they know their stuff.

Hero Quest is a huge store in Howell that has lots of everything. Lots of Fantasy games. The people who work there are friendly and helpful.

Pandemonium and Gamer's Sanctuary are more geared towards RPG and miniature gaming.

Just for Fun, and Red Dragon are what I call Retro stores. They don't have a lot of new stock, but they have old games, minis, and other odds and ends that make it worth while to check them out.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I'm in Clarkston for the 4th and a Bridal Shower on Sunday. Looking for something to do. Looks like they're open from noon to 6 on Sunday, I'll have to check it out then. How's the neighborhood, since I'll be bringing along a two-year-old?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PerfectStorm wrote:
Howell - Hero Quest Comix and games
Brighton - Just for Fun Hobbies
Livonia - RiW
Ortonville - Red Dragon
Garden City - Pandemonium
Flint - Gamer's Sanctuary

Hey thanks for the info a few of those I did not know about I was already going to Hero Quest this weekend.

OP I have to agree RiW has a Unbelievable Number of games, the prices are mostly MSRP but the selection is (I know I said this already) unbelievable.

Hero Quest is a nice store but is a lot of comics and graphic novels also. they have a nice selection of games the guys that run it are pretty nice and personable to boot.

The rest I cannot attest to, but will be heading out to Just for fun hobbies and gamers sanctuary on Sat for the first time to see what they are about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In all honesty, Clarkston is a good distance away from Livonia, despite the attractiveness of RiW. Gamers Sanctuary in Flint may be a better choice (but not a better selection of games) due to proximity.

Just for completeness, the only stores in Michigan that I have found that can go toe-to-toe with RiW for selection are Twenty-first Century Comics in East Lansing and Titan Games in Battle Creek and the already mentioned Hero Quest in Howell and Vault of Midnight in Ann Arbor. Whenever in those areas, those stores always get a visit from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Sundance Comics in Utica, on Van Dyke Ave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the shower itself is going to be somewhere in West Bloomfield, making RiW about 10 miles away, so it all works out. I'll definitely check out Gamers Sanctuary the next time I'm back in Clarkston.

Have to thank you all for the locations. It's funny, I was trying to think of a FLGS in Oakland, couldn't think of anything, posted, and got a treasure trove of F_GSs surrounding Oakland. That's a testament to the BGG community. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Went to RiW and picked up Prophecy (which hasn't been at my FLGS in months) and was shocked to find they had a bunch of older CCGs. Picked up a few starters and boosters for Vampire: The Masquerade. Small space, but incredible inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Kramer
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Dragon is actually in Otisville, not Ortonville. Guild of Blades Retail Group Store is in Madison Heights. Besides their own games, most of their stuff if RPG material, but I do remember them having boardgames, not much in the way of wargames. But that might of changed since I was last there. The also print out PDFs. I had them print out the counters and maps for Lock n Loads' Line of Fire Magazine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordish
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RIW in Livonia. Wednesday evenings is board game night along with Saturday mornings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmart wrote:
In all honesty, Clarkston is a good distance away from Livonia, despite the attractiveness of RiW. Gamers Sanctuary in Flint may be a better choice (but not a better selection of games) due to proximity.

Just for completeness, the only stores in Michigan that I have found that can go toe-to-toe with RiW for selection are Twenty-first Century Comics in East Lansing and Titan Games in Battle Creek and the already mentioned Hero Quest in Howell and Vault of Midnight in Ann Arbor. Whenever in those areas, those stores always get a visit from me.

Stopped at 21st century comics and RiW today. I was dissapointed in 21st century and very impressed by RiW. Though 21st century had a nice large gaming area and RiW had one small table with 4 chairs. For completeness next time your in the Kalamazoo area you should check out Fanfare. I'd say they have more selection than 21st century but not as much as RiW but the largest gaming area of the 3.

I also stopped at Just for Fun hobbies and was dissapointed. They had more current games than I expected based on reading this thread but the organization of things really turned me off Everything in the entire store was hapharzdly placed on the shelves. That made finding the games difficult and some boxes were damaged by being piled up. The guy working the store was playing some game on a laptop that made a lot of beeping. He wasn't interested in talking to me. I drove over an hour to get there and it was a wasted trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped at Hero Quest Comix and games this morning. If your looking for Catan, Munchkin, or Zombies, they got it all. They don't have much else and even less new releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOB is a pretty good store. Their specialty is resale RPG and custom printing, but they do carry a nice line of games. I just bought Endeavor there last week, and my friend picked up Seaside.
They're at like 11ish and John R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
radiosonicfan wrote:
RIW in Livonia. Wednesday evenings is board game night along with Saturday mornings.

Which games generally get played at RIW? I've been looking for somewhere that has a board game night in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Howell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
joeheezy wrote:
radiosonicfan wrote:

Which games generally get played at RIW? I've been looking for somewhere that has a board game night in the area.

I didn't realize they had gaming nights, although I should have known based on the amount of board games they have. I'm going there today after work, I'll have to ask about it and see what they normally play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RIW has a number of the other storefronts in its strip mall that it uses for gaming...there is a LOT of gaming space. When I've stopped by people are usually playing minis, CCGs (Magic, I think), and smattering of boardgames. I think she has a games library there, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schumm
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Alas Heroquest is gone. Just For Fun is the last in Livingston county again. I have seen at least 4 other gaming stores bite the dust around here. They may be a little sloppy but Just for Fun know how to stay in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordish
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry, It's been a while since I checked this thread.

Some of games we play:
Le Havre
Agricola
Thunderstone
Dominion
Stone Age
Roll Thru the Ages
Race for the Galaxy
St. Peterburg
Brass
Power Grid Factory Manager
A Castle for All Seasons
Cosmic Entercounter
Timber Tom
Blue Moon City.

A copy of almost anything can be found. We typically play longer games on Saturdays and shorter games on Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.