Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Can anyone point me to a source of these little plastic bits to hold up paper minis, as shown in the picture below?

It looks like something I could get at an office supply store, but I don't know what it's called. If not a common place item, where can I get some?

Thanks in advance!!

- as/jz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It looks like something I could get at an office supply store, but I don't know what it's called. If not a common place item, where can I get some?

You can get something at an office supply store that does the job: Binder clips. Simply clip the counter and remove the silver handles--DONE!

These days you can get more colors than black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two companies in the UK produce stands in various colours. The bases are circular and approx 25mm across.

The companies are E4M and Northumbria Games sorry no web addresses (doing this quickly at work ,likewise sorry no piccies) also you might want to try Jim Litko in the USA (he normally has a pop up add on the geek I`m certain he does some thing similar

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
How about these, all from spielmaterial.de??

You can find them here: http://www.spielmaterial.de/english/index.html?d_ANGEBOT2_20...

Or:

(http://www.muecke-hotelberatung.de/spiel/english/index.html?...)

Or:

(http://www.muecke-hotelberatung.de/spiel/english/index.html?...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverfox63 wrote:
Two companies in the UK produce stands in various colours. The bases are circular and approx 25mm across.

The companies are E4M and Northumbria Games sorry no web addresses (doing this quickly at work ,likewise sorry no piccies) also you might want to try Jim Litko in the USA (he normally has a pop up add on the geek I`m certain he does some thing similar

hope this helps

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/GAME_AIDS.html

The site is pretty naff but the service in my experience is outstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
Quote:

You can get something at an office supply store that does the job: Binder clips. Simply clip the counter and remove the silver handles--DONE!

These days you can get more colors than black.

Not to mention that you don't have to wait for the items to be shipped just go to your nearest office supply store or Walmart, Target, etc., The binder clips can also be found in many different sizes from 3/8" to 3" and the width of the standee doesn't matter in the slightest as it will hold the thinnest paper to 1/4" plywood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, one of the booths at Origins had them (Chessex?), so they're likely to be available at Gencon, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stevenson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll second the EM4 Miniatures site. I've used them several times. Very good supplier, fast and cheap.

One caveat though. I've used their circular bases for various projects for figure substitutes and the slots aren't narrow enough for minis just made from paper. I've tried sandwiching a piece of cardboard but that compresses and eventually the bases lose their grip on the mini.

The solution I found was that printing the minis on mailing labels and sandwiching a piece of ice cream container between them is excellent and they don't lose grip over time. I don't know about other brands of ice cream but the Walls Soft Scoop blue ice cream containers in the UK are exactly the right thickness for them. It also makes them very durable.

Plus you get to eat lots of ice cream!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little wary of metal binder clips, as they might easily scrape the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Precis Intermedia has released Disposable Heroes®: Build Your Own Customizable Set. By purchasing this item, you can upload your own images to the Disposable Heroes online customizable system for automatic sizing and formatting as full-color and grayscale paper miniatures that can be downloaded individually, in groups, or as massive armies.

Disposable Heroes are full color, downloadable paper miniatures that can be customized through an online interface. You can specify which figures are downloaded to a PDF file, as well as whether or not they are labeled and/or numbered. In addition, entire pages of duplicate figures can be downloaded, making the creation of armies a breeze. Each set is available as A-Frame Stand-ups, Tri-Fold Stand-ups, and Flat Counters. Single-download Statix sets are also available at a reduced price.

The next generation of downloadable paper minis are here -- affordable, customizable, and now with your own artwork. You can't go wrong with Disposable Heroes. Also look for our low-cost, plastic stand-up bases for better tabletop stability and to cut down on assembly times.

Incorporating one of the first e-publishing RPG companies, Precis Intermedia is known for its diverse line-up of clear and concise games. Precis Intermedia's current game lines include Two-Fisted Tales for thrilling pulp action; New World Disorder, Warcosm, and A Fistfull of Miniatures for miniatures gaming; HardNova 2, Coyote Trail, EarthAD 2, Mean Streets, and Ghostories for low-cost, ready-to-play entertainment; Active Exploits Diceless for universal diceless roleplaying with that familiar 'dice' feel; Story Engine for scene and adjective-based, collaborative roleplaying; and more. Visit the Precis Intermedia web site for more information.

I believe Brett can help you. He not only sells the paper models, he sells the stands, too. They're not expensive.
Johncool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies everybody!

I really like the binder clip idea just 'cause they can be found easily, but I do wish they were plastic. Maybe somebody makes some? Failing that I'll get some of the transparent ones from spielmaterial

One thing to watch out for are clips such as the ones used in this game:

Thomas' Tracks & Trestles Game

My four year old played this and the plastic clips started chewing up the cardboard trains, as they were really too thick for the clips provided.

Thanks again everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!. The Precis stands are available are at this link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johngorno wrote:
I'm a little wary of metal binder clips, as they might easily scrape the board.

Glue a thin layer of felt to the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the original post, the items you are looking for are generally called "card stands" or "cardstands".

Your search engine of choice should yield a fair number of suppliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get standees and much more at our store:

http://www.rpgshop.com/default/supplies-paints-terrain/board...

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.