Subject: Round cards face up or face down? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko L
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The rules say: "Turn the blue Round cards face up and sort them according to the Stage of the game. Shuffle each small pile and place the piles on top of each other with the cards for Stage 6 at the bottom, Stage 5 on top of that, etc - with the four cards for Stage 1 on the top. The Round cards bring new possible actions into the game."

So we have a deck of face up cards so the topmost card is always visible.

Later the rules say: "Turn over the top card of the pile of Round cards and place it on the appropriate space on the board."

How can we turn over the top card because it's already "turned over" (face up)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cpsof95 wrote:
The rules say: "Turn the blue Round cards face up and sort them according to the Stage of the game.

You must have a later edition.
The first edition (Z-man) rules say: "Sort the blue Round cards according to the Stage of the game. Shuffle each small pile and place the piles on top of each other with the cards for Stage 6 at the bottom, Stage 5 on top of that, etc - finishing with four cards for Stage 1 on the top."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dunn
United States
Winchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that what you guys have been doing? We've been shuffling each stage seperatly, then placing them upside down on the board. Instead of picking from a pile, we just flip it over in place. The bottom line is that you still don't know what will be coming up until you flip it unless it is the last card in that stage.
Derek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko L
Finland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We've been playing like you said, Derek. I just reread the rules and started wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerekD wrote:
Is that what you guys have been doing? We've been shuffling each stage seperatly, then placing them upside down on the board. Instead of picking from a pile, we just flip it over in place. The bottom line is that you still don't know what will be coming up until you flip it unless it is the last card in that stage.
Derek

We've tried it both ways and decided we liked the cards stacked off the board better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with them off the board. We do not have any cards visible except the current and previous rounds. The next and future round(s) are not visible/face-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also keep them off board.
There are enough components going into space as it is.
We place the card in its appropriate space after it has been cleared of all the stuff people have 'preordered'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
On or off the board is group preference (personally we put them on the board), however the main thing is that they should be face down so you don't see what is coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
On or off the board is group preference (personally we put them on the board), however the main thing is that they should be face down so you don't see what is coming up.

this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwartz
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
cpsof95 wrote:
The rules say: "Turn the blue Round cards face up and sort them according to the Stage of the game. Shuffle each small pile and place the piles on top of each other with the cards for Stage 6 at the bottom, Stage 5 on top of that, etc - with the four cards for Stage 1 on the top. The Round cards bring new possible actions into the game."

So we have a deck of face up cards so the topmost card is always visible.

I believe it's implicit in the act of shuffling that the cards are no longer visible, i.e., face-down. Otherwise, they're not really randomized, as the shuffler, as well as anyone watching, will know the card order.

Thus, I interpret those rules as:
1) Turn the Round cards face up.
2) Sort the Round cards into stages.
3) Take each Stage's Round card piles, one at a time, and shuffle them (i.e., turn them over and mix them up).
4) Stack the Round card piles in reverse Stage order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Cassidy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As has been suggested before, it may be easier to shuffle the round cards first, then group them into stages. I don't know why the rules would say to turn them face up, considering the stage is printed on the back of the card, and not the front! (hmm, I just looked at a picture of them, and sure enough the stage is there, in tiny text in the bottom corner. Still though, wouldn't it be easier and better all-round just to keep them face down?)

By the way, we just shuffle them and deal them straight onto the round spaces on the board face down. As Mik says, there are enough components taking up space as it is! Unlike Mik, though, we decided to help this by not having an extra deck taking up space on our table next to the board :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwartz
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Balfa wrote:
By the way, we just shuffle them and deal them straight onto the round spaces on the board face down.

As do we. Personally, I feel like an ass trying to "shuffle" a stack of two cards. I'd rather just mix up all fourteen and then plop them into various spots on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.