United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hello!

More often then not immediately after somebody declared the winner of a game everybody would... start packing up everything , open the next box and start afresh.

I am beginning to feel the need to make the WIN more special, to drag on the experience a little longer. In Poker the winner got to pocket the chips on the table. How about for a Euro/card game?

Do you fine gamers here on BGG have some sort of reward system/ritual/ceremony/triumph that you give the winning party before moving on the next game?

Just like to hear from you. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Re: [Game night] I am then winner.....next game.
You can always go for a brief post game analysis where the winner can let everyone know why they think they won, what the key turning points were and the losers can congratulate them and/or explain how their own game came undone.

Of course this is also a recipe for encouraging gloating on the part of the winner and whining on the part of the losers so it's a fine line to tread.

For example after a recent game of Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries with winner on 146, second on 92 and third on 70:-

2nd: My starting tickets were just too ambitious, I spent the whole game trying to complete them and except for a lucky last draw I'd have missed a vital connection, failed two long tickets and ended up with a single digit score!

3rd: Yeah, I spent too much time blocking you and not enough blocking him.

1st: Right. You did manage to stop me getting in to Kobenhaven but that actually only cost me 18. I had so many connections in the middle of the map that I was able to draw tons of low value tickets which I had already completed.

2nd: Yes, those short tickets are very powerful. Next time I'm going to make sure I'm all over that area of the map so I can benefit from them and as a side effect it'll block you in a bit and stop you running away with the game again.

1st: Ok, set it up again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb

Snap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner cleans up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
Balthus_Dire wrote:
Well, I know it's an anathema to many here, but I just love to take a few minutes to talk about the game that just happened, group figure out why someone won, what moves could have been done better, what resulted in what.

I'm always curious to know what someone was thinking when they did an unusual move.

This, basically.

Lighter luck based games don't usually need/provoke much discussion, but for anything heavier, I like to spend a few minutes talking about the game, discuss whether the win was down to good strategy or luck, or an imbalance in the game. My group are not the type to gloat though, if they were I might be more wont to reach for the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
chooche wrote:
More often then not immediately after somebody declared the winner of a game everybody would... start packing up everything , open the next box and start afresh.

We do the same. Often we'll start cleaning up and putting the game away before the game is fully done, just to speed the process.

Quote:
Do you fine gamers here on BGG have some sort of reward system/ritual/ceremony/triumph that you give the winning party before moving on the next game?

No, and I wouldn't like that. I do like a good probing discussion about the game just played, or the game in general (the first rapidly becoming the latter), but that's because talking about the game and playing the game are pretty much the same thing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
No reward for winning, and I don't reallly like post-game analysis except for new games as it does tend to annoy the losers - but in our house the winner gets to choose the next game. Not many of us think this is a "reward" though - it often feels more like a penalty! But it does make the next game start quicker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waferthinninja wrote:
Balthus_Dire wrote:
Well, I know it's an anathema to many here, but I just love to take a few minutes to talk about the game that just happened, group figure out why someone won, what moves could have been done better, what resulted in what.

I'm always curious to know what someone was thinking when they did an unusual move.

This, basically.

We tend to do something similar, while packing/setting up for the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in college, I had a group of friends with whom I'd play Axis & Allies pretty regularly. One of the guys had a cassette tape (this was the late 80s) with a bunch of national anthems on it. When we finished a game, we'd play the anthem of the winning nation (or the "MVP" on the winning side) on the nearest stereo. Loudly.

This did not endear us to our dorm mates. (But not much else did, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Greywing wrote:
When I was in college, I had a group of friends with whom I'd play Axis & Allies pretty regularly. One of the guys had a cassette tape (this was the late 80s) with a bunch of national anthems on it. When we finished a game, we'd play the anthem of the winning nation (or the "MVP" on the winning side) on the nearest stereo. Loudly.

This did not endear us to our dorm mates. (But not much else did, either.)

This is EXCELLENT!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like post-game discussion, but here's another little simple idea; get a marker board and list what game was played, and list the winner...keep a track for the games played that night, or the month, or whatever. Gives you a little something special which hopefully won't be offputting to everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.