Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who voted in the initial round which you can see -> here. 63 users participated with a total of 2993 votes cast.

An early indicator of the eventual winner is the films with the most "Best" ratings. Here are all those that got the most 'Best's, with 10 or more:

30 Dr Who
28 Firefly
18 Star Trek (1960s)
18 Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
18 Babylon 5
17 The X-Files
17 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
15 Star Trek: The Next Generation
14 Red Dwarf
13 Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
12 Lost
11 Farscape
10 Futurama
10 The Prisoner

Wow. Dr Who and Firefly seem to have a lock on the #1 & #2 spots. However from this poll on Dr Who will be split into several segments based actor/time period. Will it be able to compete with Firefly without all the Doctors acting in unison?!

Of the 5 split Doctor Whos only 1 did not make it to the Top 100: Doctor Who (Paul McGann, 1996).

In this next poll I have narrowed it down to the Top 100 based on average ratings. To calculate this I awarded points for each rating: Best (4), Awesome (3), Great (2), Good (1), Okay (0), Bad (-2).

The Top Ten based on average rating for the last round are:

Dr Who
Firefly
Red Dwarf
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Edge of Darkness
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Cowboy Bebop
Serial Experiments Lain
Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
The Prisoner

No shock to see Dr Who and Firefly topping this list with all those 'Best' ratings. I'm also glad to see Red Dwarf and Hitchikers doing so well!

Edge of Darkness (a 1985 BBC TV series) and Serial Experiments Lain (1998 anime, which I haven't seen) are shock entries here with only 7 and 8 ratings each. Cowboy Bebop (more anime) is also new to me. I'll be checking these out....

Other entrants that make the cut for the Top 100, but with very few votes (meaning that most of you haven't seen them) are:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor
The Day of the Triffids
VR5
The Chronicle
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974)
Quatermass And The Pit (1958)
Invader Zim

It will be interesting to see how these do. The Day of the Triffids was certainly an excellent BBC TV series (made 1981). I don't think I've seen any of the others, except maybe Quatermass.

The series with the most 'Bad' ratings were:

11 Knight Rider (old)
10 Knight Rider (new)
10 Lost
8 Star Trek: Enterprise
7 Cleopatra 2525
7 Swamp Thing
7 seaQuest DSV
6 Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1970s)
6 My Favorite Martian
6 Small Wonder
6 Battlestar Galactica (1970s)
6 Star Trek: Voyager

This conveniently saves me from ever watching the new series of Knight Rider, which was the lowest rated entry to the poll with an average score of -1.2, though maybe that makes it so bad that it is good. Small Wonder was the second worst with -0.8.

Only 2 of these make the Top 100 you will be glad to know! They are Lost and Star Trek: Voyager. Those 'Bad' votes were enough to push the old Battlestar Galactica out of the Top 100 and thus miss the cut for this poll. I was tempted to put it in as a wild card but resisted the urge.

Looking at the split polls, the remakes of Survivors, Tomorrow People, Bionic Woman, Captain Scarlet and V all rate worse than the originals. In fact pretty much every re-make scored far worse than the original with the notable exception of Battlestar Galactica.

For those interested in Sci-fi, the parallel thread of Best Sci-fi Films is already up:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/420718

The last 100 have been re-seeded based on their average rating in the last poll and split them into 10 brackets of 10 shows. The top 4 from each bracket will go through to the next round. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket, ideally by rating them all first and then upgrading an 'Awesome'. Here we go:

Poll: Top 100 Sci-fi TV Series
1. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay Bad
Tomorrow People (1973-79)
Star Trek (1960s)
Futurama
Blake's 7
Captain Scarlet (1967)
Chocky
VR5
Eureka
Voyagers
Dark Angel
2. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Firefly
Invader Zim
The Tripods
Macross
Ultraviolet
The Sarah Jane Adventures
The Chronicle
Stargate Atlantis
Eleventh Hour (UK)
Star Trek: Voyager
3. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Doctor Who (Tom Baker) 1974-1981
Doctor Who (William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, 1963-1974)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Quantum Leap
Martian Chronicles
The 4400
The Wild Wild West
Buck Rogers (1950s)
Timeslip
Earth - Final Conflict
4. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Red Dwarf
The X-Files
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Children Of The Stones
Space: Above and Beyond
Doomwatch
Aeon Flux
3rd Rock from the Sun
The Starlost
Raumpatrouille Orion (1966)
5. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Quatermass And The Pit (1958)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr.
Survivors (1975)
Robotech
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Dollhouse
The Invisible Man (2000)
Something is Out There
6. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, 2005-2010)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974)
V: The Original Miniseries (1983)
Whiz Kids
NieA_7
Stargate SG-1
The Invisible Man (1984, UK)
Logan's Run
Texhnolyze
New Captain Scarlet (2005)
7. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Edge of Darkness
Babylon 5
The Avengers
Sapphire & Steel
Torchwood
Doctor Who (Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy 1981-1989)
Planetes
Alias
Space Patrol (1950s)
A For Andromeda (1961)
8. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Day of the Triffids
The Quatermass Experiment (1953)
Max Headroom
Quatermass II (1955)
The Changes
Night Stalker (2005)
Space: 1999
Quatermass (1979)
Crusade
9. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Cowboy Bebop
The Prisoner
Mystery Science Theatre 3000
Thunderbirds
Dark Skies
UFO
Fringe
The Nightmare Man
Otherworld
Dan Dare, Pilot Of The Future
10. Rate the series you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
Serial Experiments Lain
Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
Farscape
Wild Palms
Lost
Star Blazers
Planet of the Apes animated series
Sliders
Moonbase 3
Life On Mars (US)
      69 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

I've started a notification thread for my polls which you can subscribe to if you don't want to miss the latest poll:
1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No duplicates? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Best Doctor Who?
Rate the Doctors. Only one 'Best'!
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davison
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Paul McGann
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
      53 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rate the best Star Trek captains, although I'm sure it's been done to death...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Am I the only one who enjoyed Star Trek: Enterprise? I disliked Voyager and DS9, and think its the best series after TNG and the original series, but it seems I'm in the minority here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Am I the only one who enjoyed Star Trek: Enterprise? I disliked Voyager and DS9, and think its the best series after TNG and the original series, but it seems I'm in the minority here.

I've enjoyed what episodes I've seen. I might get the DVDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

I love Enterprise a lot, and was sad that it didn't continue. It was such a contrast to the other shows, but kept the coolness of Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MIB 8686 wrote:
Rate the best Star Trek captains, although I'm sure it's been done to death...

I've probably missed at least one....
Poll
Rate each Star Trek Captain. Select one 1 'Best'.
Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner)
Captain James T. Kirk (Cartoon)
Captain James T. Kirk (Chris Pine)
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart)
Commander (later Captain) Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks)
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Kate Mulgrew)
Captain Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula)
      32 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

I liked Season 4 of Enterprise. Season 3 was OK, but 1 & 2 were kind of "meh".

DS9 is the best Trek for me - great character development,and a lot grittier than any of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

I thought Enterprise was very underrated, and I'm still upset that the fanboys ruined the theme. The opening theme from the first season had a perfect hook that synced up with the visuals and gave you that 'heart skipping a beat' moment that you also get during 'The Circle of Life' from The Lion King.

Plus, with going back so far in Trek's mythos, I figured they could both take some serious risks while at the same time creatively work in how certain things in the universe came about.

But Enterprise took very tentative steps - it almost seems like they didn't want to step on any other series toes. I think knowing they'd have just one more season left gave them some freedom to do what they really wanted to do. The mirror universe episodes were probably my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the lack of love for Paul McGann, I'm shocked. I thought, especially after Davison, Colin Baker, and McCoy, that McGann brought back that Tom Bakerish type of Doctor. McGann's Doctor can be heard in some brilliant audio plays - www.timeschampion.com - I especially liked Invaders from Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.