Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division» Forums » General

Subject: Future formations... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chad & Co,

I know that Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Infantry Division is intended to be the first in a series of games and the possible subjects of future installments have already been mentioned. However if the series takes off like Combat Commander, have you given some thought to some less well covered units of WW2? Specifically I'd love to see a game that featured units like the French Foreign Legion, the Italian Alpini, etc.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I'm not wedded to only doing "famous" units. Less well known units will certainly be considered. Patton's Ghost Corps -- XX Corps under General Walker -- is just such a unit, I believe, and is under serious consideration for game #2 in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also do the 2nd Infantry Division. That would give you the ability to cover the battle at Rocherath-Krinkelt (during the Bulge) where it stood off a corps before the battle at Elsenborn Ridge, where it also performed famously.

As a bonus, the 2nd also fought in Korea, so you could even have the game span multiple wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Chad, that was low. You're not allowed to mention "Game #2" unless there's been rules posted to read for Game #1. laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh yes, can't wait to read the rules. Makes that morning coffee go down smooth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st Marine Division is under consideration, I'm sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
kemosavage wrote:
The 1st Marine Division is under consideration, I'm sure!

Yep. So is the Americal Division in the Pacific Theater. And the Chindits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kotsarinis
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And I hope that sometime in the future Afrika Korps will hit the desert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'll plug 2nd Infantry again. It's exploits (especially in the Bulge) would be perfect for showing off the FF system.

Remember, this Division pulled a stunt even better than Patton did - it stopped an offensive towards the Roer dams, moved to the twin villages along what was basically a goat path and there fought three German Divisions (including the 12SS) to a standstill. All the while there was no air support and for a good portion of the fighting the artillery wasn't there either. They knocked out over a hundred German tanks with bazookas - no mean feat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Honestly if I got to pick I'd take either the

752nd Tank Battalion
* Highest number of consecutive days of combat operations in the 5th Army (nearly 300 days)
* Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (only independent tank unit in the med. that received it)

761st Tank Battalion
* First African American unit to enter combat
* 183 days of continual fighting including the Battle of the Bulge
* Belatedly awarded the Presidential Unit Citation

Either of those would be my pick. They offer a great selection of battles from which to choose in a different theater of operations and were attached to two storied armies lead by 2 incredibly dynamic and audacious generals.

Finally...I just want to add...that they offer some unique strategic choices for the players too because of the late war focus for the 761st in the countryside of Europe vs. the rugged battles of Italy in the late war or the early war battles in North Africa across desert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another formation (Allied but not US) that has my serious attention (only if blessed by the Zen Master of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
What is the formation you are hinting at?
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help me understand the name/story of this game:

One player/side of every scenario is the Motarized Infantry Division, and then the other side is... whoever they fought during that specific encounter? In this game, all of the enemy units are Russian, correct?

So, does the scenario book read as a history of the Division in their encounters? (Though I have no reason to assume the scenario booklet is in chronological order.)

What are examples of prominent units that fought against a bunch of different nationalities and/or in a bunch of different geographic locations? Without stretching credibility, it would be fun to have desert maps, snow maps, etc. in the same box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
One player/side of every scenario is the Motarized Infantry Division, and then the other side is... whoever they fought during that specific encounter? In this game, all of the enemy units are Russian, correct?

Correct.

furtherbum wrote:
So, does the scenario book read as a history of the Division in their encounters? (Though I have no reason to assume the scenario booklet is in chronological order.)

Yes, it covers their history from July 1942 to March 1943. (and they are in chronological order)

furtherbum wrote:
What are examples of prominent units that fought against a bunch of different nationalities and/or in a bunch of different geographic locations?

Having fought against a bunch of different nationalities would actually hinder their chances of getting picked as a featured formation. The number of countersheets that would be needed to incorporate all the vehicles and guns belonging to both the featured formation and its multiple enemies would be cost prohibitive. Having to model only two nationalities is much more reasonable from a cost (and development time!) standpoint, and that opens up the number of possible formations enormously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, Chad. Yeah, I was thinking that would be cost-prohibitive, but more just thinking "If there were a monster set, what would be the unit to pick?" Having different types of geography (different maps) still sounds fun. I confess that I'm just discovering the genre of Jensen, so don't mind me -- I have plenty to explore without making comments or suggestions. It seems there are quite a few new CC devotees on here, thanks to the GMT sale. I have since picked up a Battle Pack (I'm not even 1/4 through the scenarios in CC:E, but why not?)... I hope GMT sees enough return in interest & money on that sale that they do it again. CC is the game I'm most excited to play right now, so thank you. Hopefully I can get it on the table enough that I can justify an FF purchase soon! (Before DD and EE are announced to fill in the gaps, anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different geography would be fairly easy to incorporate, as that can all be rolled up into the existing playbook and terrain chart at little to no additional component cost. And if I'm going to have, say, 8 maps in a game it doesn't matter what the terrain on those maps represent -- it's still the same number of physical components.

Looking at it from the point of view of three axes:

X = who
Y = when
Z = where

Multiple X adds cost because of the need for more countersheets to cover more than two nationalities.

Multiple Y adds cost because of the need for more countersheets to cover more types of improved hardware (vehicles, guns, etc.) as the war progressed through the years.

Multiple Z is cost neutral as it more or less just changes what would have already been there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to reiterate what Chad says, it's not just cost, but portability and accessibility, as well. ASL has its strengths, but the joy of hauling around a large suitcase of game components isn't really one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To M. Squires - the 1st Canadian Infantry Division.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet maple lovin' !

Id like to see the Durham Light Infantry too or the Desert Rats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Goode
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnfoley79 wrote:
To M. Squires - the 1st Canadian Infantry Division.

I second this. I'd love to see an FF game (or any game really) focusing on a Canadian division.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I'm already on board.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - the 1st Canadian Infantry has been in my sights since last year and research is moving along. Chad and I talked about structuring a base module and battle packs to support it. Not everyone may be interested in a particular formation, but the first module for a formation will include some major highlights and then those who really enjoy that formation will have more to look forward to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.