Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Tell us which Combat Commander is your favourite!
Do you prefer to play CC: E or CC: P?
Combat Commander: Europe
Combat Commander: Pacific
      54 answers
Poll created by malteh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I realize the actually number of votes is low, but right now that is so overwhelmingly towards Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
To compare these two and ask people who love the series which they prefer is asking them to pick which of their kids is their favorite.

It's not at all like that for me. After having played both many times, I like one of these games much better than the other. I still like my kids the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Pacific quite a bit, and I think most of the changes are refinements (improvements) on CC:E. But the diversity available in CC:E is the clincher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the annoying asset denied card, I so far prefer pacific. Also the revive card is a little weird, but this bothers me less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I clicked Pacific but probably because it's new. I would agree that some of the mechanics of Pacific seem like refinements to the system. We never play E/M anymore without overstacking (reduces cover) and attack doubling defense is an autokill.

I do think, having played LOTS of E/M after all 12 Pacific scenarios that the chaos is a tad less in Pacific. There's still plenty, but I do agree with those who have said that it's less.

I can't really put my finger on it. They're both great games, no doubt. Maybe it's just the satisfaction of watching the ASL crowd beg for the reprint of ASL Pacific stuff while I can just open my big green box and get all the Pacific action I want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definately like CC:E more than CC. In fact, I've already traded away my CC copy.

Broadly speaking, I found the pace of CC slower and the strategic options more limited. But, above all, I couldn't buy into the new Revive or Asset Denied orders and missed Recovers and Routs, the Jammed trigger and quite a few of the original actions such as Assault, Spray Fire, Concealment or Dig In.

I know it is just a question of taste, but I don't see where the "refinements" of CC compared to CC:E/Med are. IMHO, most of the changes felt as simplifications of the original system or, even worse, "design-for-effect" gimmicks that take a significant portion of the thematic flavour away.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I enjoyed playing the Japanese. There were some really interesting design tweaks in both their deck and some of their units' special abilities.

In any case, to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little conflicted as so far I've only played 5 games of Pacific, but so far I prefer Europe.

I dislike the lack of Battlefield chaos in Pacific compared to Europe and when an event does occur, all too often it does something piddly affecting smoke.

Also I find the Reconnoiter order is rarely useful given that you have to waste a leader's activation to use it.

I do enjoy playing the Japanese though, as they are very flavoursome compared to the Europe forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for CC primarily because of the smoother hand flow. To me, it makes for a more tension-filled game.

That being said, I do enjoy both games a great deal and there are some features of CC:E that I prefer over CC (mostly not fond of the gamey-ness of Asset Denied as a substitute for the random Jam event).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.