Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little unclear on the following:

Assume I have in my tableau:

1. The Improved Logistics card (which allows me to settle 2 planets instead of 1)

2. One or more other cards giving me a total Military of +4

So, I choose to conquer a world with a defense of "3" (I can do this because my total Military is +4)

Can I now use the same +4 military to conquer a SECOND world with a defense of "3" or have I already "used up" 3 of my military on the first conquest, leaving me with only 1 available? In other words, would I need to have a total Military of at least +6 in my tableau (3 for the first conquest and another 3 for the second conquest) to conquer the 2nd world allowed by the Improved Logistics card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
From the rules, page 5: Military is granted by powers of various start worlds, developments, or worlds, and lasts *until the end of the Settle phase* [emphasis added].

So, your Military of +4 is sufficient to conquer two 3 (or 4) defense worlds with Improved Logistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom . . . Thanks for the quick response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that that includes having discarded 'New Military Tactics' (+3) and any cards spent to fuel 'Space Mercenaries' (up to +2) before conquering the first world. With only these two cards and Improved Logistics out, it is possible to settle two defense 6 (Space Mercenaries come with a permanent +1) worlds in the same Settle phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea with military strength in this game, it's just a simple condition check on a non-tangible item. E.g. if you need to be 21yo to rent a car and you're 41, all the rental company does is check that your age is greater than 21. You don't go up to the coutner, whip out your wallet, and give the clerk 21 years of your life, and then be 20yo left and have to wait another year till you can rent a car again.

This is as opposed to paying for development cards or non-miltary worlds where you need the cold hard cash for it. This is more akin to grocery shopping... Bread costs $3, milk costs $2, and eggs cost $4. You need $9 for all three of them in this case if you want to buy it all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
The idea with military strength in this game, it's just a simple condition check on a non-tangible item. E.g. if you need to be 21yo to rent a car and you're 41, all the rental company does is check that your age is greater than 21. You don't go up to the coutner, whip out your wallet, and give the clerk 21 years of your life, and then be 20yo left and have to wait another year till you can rent a car again.

The thing that made me ask the question about military strength is that I was thinking of it like this potential "real world" example:

The United States has a certain amount of military strength (soldiers, vehicles, weapons,etc.) This might allow the U.S. to win a war with another superpower. However, if one or more additional countries joined the war AGAINST the U.S., this level of military power might not be enough to defeat them all. The U.S. would need to increase its military strength accordingly. So, if the U.S. had a military of +1, +1, +1 = +3 and the first country in the war had a defense rating of "2", the U.S. could conquer that country. However, if another "2" opponent entered the war, the U.S. would NOT have enough military power to conquer the combined "4" defense of both enemies. I guess I shouldn't apply real-world logic to board games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

The thing that made me ask the question about military strength is that I was thinking of it like this potential "real world" example:

The United States has a certain amount of military strength (soldiers, vehicles, weapons,etc.) This might allow the U.S. to win a war with another superpower. However, if one or more additional countries joined the war AGAINST the U.S., this level of military power might not be enough to defeat them all. The U.S. would need to increase its military strength accordingly. So, if the U.S. had a military of +1, +1, +1 = +3 and the first country in the war had a defense rating of "2", the U.S. could conquer that country. However, if another "2" opponent entered the war, the U.S. would NOT have enough military power to conquer the combined "4" defense of both enemies. I guess I shouldn't apply real-world logic to board games!
I totally get where this is coming from.

However, I always thought there's just some thematic reason to the game as well.... Perhaps each Settle phase represents a lengthy time span of say.... 8 months? Since you're only conquering one military world per Settle, the example you cited doesn't apply since your "empire's" military strength isn't being stretched thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why it's called "Improved Logistics" instead of "Gung-ho Strategy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Zuccotti
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
So now i'm confuse...carpenter, are you saying that if i have 4 military, and then discard new military tactics (thus increasing my military to 7) I can then settle a 6 military world on the first settle and then a 6 military world on the 2nd settle. (this is also assuming I have Improved logistics and can settle two worlds in one settle phase)

I can see where this might make sense, but it does feel overpowered a bit but then again I've not played that many games. It is clear, to me at least, tha you CANNOT do this if you play two settle cards (assuming you are playing the two player variant where you choose two roles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
joe_salamone wrote:
I guess I shouldn't apply real-world logic to board games!

Never do this!*

I see people do this all the time in an attempt to grasp rules they're struggling with and it always leads to a bad end. Sometimes it appears to help initially, but it quickly ties things up in knots (and even when it seems to work, its mostly a mirage).

*Wargames and simulations excepted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzuko wrote:
are you saying that if i have 4 military, and then discard new military tactics (thus increasing my military to 7) I can then settle a 6 military world on the first settle and then a 6 military world on the 2nd settle. (this is also assuming I have Improved logistics and can settle two worlds in one settle phase)

Yes, the temporary military applies for that entire settle phase. E.g. you could go Rebel Base, Rebel Homeworld in your scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Zuccotti
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Tx much, been playing it wrong it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.