Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got Agricola last week and my wife and I have played about 6 games with the basic deck so far. It's been very enjoyable but we seem to always have a shortage of reed, whereas there's always a ton of stone left on the two stone round cards at the end of the game. It just seems there's a lot of cards to more efficiently use wood, clay, and stone, but that there's only a few minor improvements that can allow you to overcome the fact that there will only be 14 reed total available for 2 players who each want about 8-12 reed each. I don't doubt that there are strategies to overcome this, but at least from our initial experience, reed seems the big scarce resource.

So, we were thinking of making the 2nd stone round card a reed card, to add 4-5 reed in the end game for more renovation potential. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
but that there's only a few minor improvements that can allow you to overcome the fact that there will only be 14 reed total available for 2 players who each want about 8-12 reed each.

8-12 reed each? I smell a rules mistake.
Do you by chance play that you need 1 reed per room for a renovation? It's 1 reed for the whle roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, I'm thinking there's a rules misunderstanding here as well.

Even if you built 3 expansions (6 reed needed)
and renovated twice (1 reed for each renovation = 2 reed), that still only brings you up to a total of 8 reed.

So, either you guys are building huge houses, or else you've misunderstood the renovation action:
It's 1 Reed per renovation, regardless of how many rooms you have.

edit: only two renovations are necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
I got Agricola last week and my wife and I have played about 6 games with the basic deck so far. It's been very enjoyable but we seem to always have a shortage of reed, whereas there's always a ton of stone left on the two stone round cards at the end of the game. It just seems there's a lot of cards to more efficiently use wood, clay, and stone, but that there's only a few minor improvements that can allow you to overcome the fact that there will only be 14 reed total available for 2 players who each want about 8-12 reed each. I don't doubt that there are strategies to overcome this, but at least from our initial experience, reed seems the big scarce resource.

So, we were thinking of making the 2nd stone round card a reed card, to add 4-5 reed in the end game for more renovation potential. Any thoughts?

The gentlemen who've responded above have probably spotted your probable error, though I must point out that only two reed are required for the two possible renovations.

As for the surplus of stone you mention, I suspect you're simply not yet realizing the utility of stone. A closer examination of the various Major Improvements might change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I agree stone is much more valuable commodity than reed.

BUT you want more reed do yourself a HUGE favor and stop playing with the basic (read BORING) "E" deck. Get into the "I" and "K" decks for fun...not to mention plenty of cards that will make getting read easier. I can think of 2 occupations off the top of my head. Reed Buyer who let's you take reed for the cost of 1 food whenever it's first taken in a round, and some guy who gives you reed whenever you take the food on the fishing space. See that last one's cool cause you get food AND reed.

Seriously "E" deck is OK but only if mixed into the other 2 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thoia wrote:
I agree stone is much more valuable commodity than reed.

BUT you want more reed do yourself a HUGE favor and stop playing with the basic (read BORING) "E" deck. Get into the "I" and "K" decks for fun...not to mention plenty of cards that will make getting read easier. I can think of 2 occupations off the top of my head. Reed Buyer who let's you take reed for the cost of 1 food whenever it's first taken in a round, and some guy who gives you reed whenever you take the food on the fishing space. See that last one's cool cause you get food AND reed.

Seriously "E" deck is OK but only if mixed into the other 2 as well.

"E" is enough to get you going and understand the cards.

There is no reason to 'graduate' to "I" or "K" until the entire table feels they've "seen these cards before.".

Given the possible number of combinations and permutations in just the "E" deck, that should take quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oops - that's it - we were misinterpreting the reed cost for renovation. Thanks everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.