Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, some time ago there was a discussion about distorted pics becoming representative images for games, just because they showed the box front http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/394216. They were extracted from other peoples shots of the box, changed in some photoshop-something-program and submitted. So far, so questionable.

But please, IF you do it, DON`T distort the PROPORTIONS.

-- >

Too square and cropped top.

-- >

Too flat - look at the triangle logo.

Better proportions (and colours?) - I don`t have a program to bend down the top edge in the middle - sorry.

Thanks.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hey, you image-extractors trying to create box front pics: IF you do it, do it ACCURATE!
Regardless, they're still both better than the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hey, you image-extractors trying to create box front pics: IF you do it, do it ACCURATE!
Is it asked too much to do a work, that nobody asked you to do, properly?

They would be better, IMO, if the proportions were correct (and probably the colours not soo exagerratedly over-lighted and contrasted. These seem a bit too much for my eyes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something done right, do it yourself. Go ahead and generate some proper box front transformations and note in the description that they are correct aspect. Then let the community vote them in as the representative image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
Regardless, they're still both better than the original.

The original Grand National Derby is actually in focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaDiKal wrote:
If you want something done right, do it yourself. Go ahead and generate some proper box front transformations and note in the description that they are correct aspect. Then let the community vote them in as the representative image.

Done in this case (image not yet approved, though).
But I don`t think, it is the police here, to shut up or "do it yourself". This is a community of contributors, who are responsible for the quality of the content, as geekmods or as users, who CARE. If you don`t care, don`t post here, but create your own post yourself, or what?
This leads to nowhere.

Edit: Image was declined (the same as I posted in the OP below the two others).
"Reasons:
10% Offensive
10% Too Small
10% Duplicate
60% Similar
50% Blurry
10% Other (specify)

Comments (optional):
but blurry".

Thanks for the tip, I do it again in focus.

Quality check is working again - fine!

Edit 2: Image approved, proposed as rep, approved as rep.

This could have been done with less work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually one of the problems with representitive images is getting them approved. You can't add a comment to them. I've submitted new images that are much higher resolution and flagged them for rep image. And then they get declined! Since the modders can't see the image comments they don't know why it was changed. I've gotten reasons back like too blurry, or no different, etc. They don't bother clicking and comparing the images, they just look at the little example and see something that looks the same so they decline so they get their bonus GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika K.
Finland
KAIPOLA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Actually one of the problems with representitive images is getting them approved. You can't add a comment to them. I've submitted new images that are much higher resolution and flagged them for rep image. And then they get declined! Since the modders can't see the image comments they don't know why it was changed. I've gotten reasons back like too blurry, or no different, etc. They don't bother clicking and comparing the images, they just look at the little example and see something that looks the same so they decline so they get their bonus GG.

I have same problem with Space Gothic Overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe even a bad image edition is too much work for GG farming, so the image-extractors probably do as good as they can.

For your keen eye, their results may be horrible while others do not see the distortion. I think your standards are quite high. This is actually a good thing, but the only way to raise the standard of this site to your desired level, is doing all the images yourself ;-) or contructive geekmodding and commenting on the images. I think if uploaders are told how to do better, they will improve their work next time.

ScottE wrote:

I hope this is not too much OT ninja, but I am not sure if a higher resolution is better for representative images. Usually they appear in small size. Of course, if the original image is very small, a higher resolution might be necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another problem is once an image is declined for rep image you can't try again. But you can issue a correction form for a game and make a comment that you want the rep image changed and give the image id's so they can do it manually. Though this takes time.

We had this issue on Tales of the Arabian Nights. The original artist posted a much higher res image which was declined as being "too similar" so an admin fixed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika K.
Finland
KAIPOLA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be possibility to somehow vote low quality images away from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-mIDE- wrote:
There should be possibility to somehow vote low quality images away from BGG.

Yes, this would allow to let an image pass through geekmod as "OK, better than nothing/ better than what is available now" and later replacing it with something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my
Hey, you nit-pickers trying to create inane threads: IF you do it, do it ACCURATELY!

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
Hey, you nit-pickers trying to create inane threads: IF you do it, do it ACCURATELY!

whistle

Thanks, done. I am not a native speaker, so please forgive me.

But the question "where are our quality standards on the world`s largest website about boardgames?" is not as inane as you suggest, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:

:whistle:

How many foreign languages can you write in, Mr. Farrow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

whistle

But the question "where are our quality standards on the world`s largest website about boardgames?" is not as inane as you suggest, IMO.

I was less perturbed by the grammar than I was the silliness of the perfectionist claim, really. I suppose I'm not too surprised, considering there was a 'petition' on these boards to remove a pixel in the logo. I guess I just don't see the big deal. I'm more interested in what's IN the box.

And to Salo sila: One, if it pleases you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

:whistle:

I was less perturbed by the grammar than I was the silliness of the perfectionist claim, really. I suppose I'm not too surprised, considering there was a 'petition' on these boards to remove a pixel in the logo. I guess I just don't see the big deal. I'm more interested in what's IN the box.

In which case it was not a very effective way of making your point, as there is something quite oafish about making fun of a foreigner for their use of English. I hope that when you do write in whichever foreign language you claim to be fluent in, its native speakers show a little more sensitivity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
The very quote you replied to there has already said it was less an attack on any grammar and more so one against the nitpicking. I saw the irony in it. I guess it's lost upon some.

I just assumed someone so anal about a thing as trivial as proportions of a graphic on a box that doesn't actually exist would catch these things, regardless of how native their tongue was.

Regardless, duchamp, I didn't mean any ill will. I was simply posting my opinion as you did, and saw an opportunity to jest. Best wishes on your Box Crusade!

(Happy, SS? zombie )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Salo sila wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
duchamp wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

whistle

In which case it was not a very effective way of making your point, as there is something quite oafish about making fun of a foreigner for their use of English. I hope that when you do write in whichever foreign language you claim to be fluent in, its native speakers show a little more sensitivity.

Ok I know this sub thread is off topic... yet, before all this "accurately" silliness started, once again (and this happens all the time for me on BGG) I am amazed at the fluency of those non-native English speakers and how well you think and write in a language that's not your first language. I've spent many years working on Spanish and I know just enough to get in way over my head.

My roommate in college was from the Czech Republic and was working on his 5th language (while the best I could manage was bungling one). I realize Europe lends itself to being multi-language-talented, but still, nice job guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
The very quote you replied to there has already said it was less an attack on any grammar and more so one against the nitpicking. I saw the irony in it. I guess it's lost upon some.

I just assumed someone so anal about a thing as trivial as proportions of a graphic on a box that doesn't actually exist would catch these things, regardless of how native their tongue was.

Regardless, duchamp, I didn't mean any ill will. I was simply posting my opinion as you did, and saw an opportunity to jest. Best wishes on your Box Crusade!

Imagine, you`d be part of a community, a neighbourhood or whatever, and you take care of some standards, I wouldn`t call this a crusade or being anal.

I don`t go to some others` place and try to evangelize him/her or slaughter them for some hypocritical "reason" or holy grail. I just think, a bit more of an effort on the side of contributors would be fine sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:

Comments (optional):
but blurry".

Bitte!

That comment was mine laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
RaDiKal wrote:

Done in this case (image not yet approved, though).
But I don`t think, it is the police here, to shut up or "do it yourself". This is a community of contributors, who are responsible for the quality of the content, as geekmods or as users, who CARE. If you don`t care, don`t post here, but create your own post yourself, or what?
This leads to nowhere.

Edit: Image was declined (the same as I posted in the OP below the two others).
"Reasons:
10% Offensive
10% Too Small
10% Duplicate
60% Similar
50% Blurry
10% Other (specify)

Comments (optional):
but blurry".

Quality check is working again - fine!

Edit 2: Image approved, proposed as rep, approved as rep.

This could have been done with less work.

huh. Good thing I'm not a geekmod. I like the image that you complained was too flat more than the image you made and submitted to replace it. At least the first image had straight lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.