Subject: Why honesty is not always the best solution. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday a couple of friends and I came together to play a game of Battlestar, most of us had played at least a couple of times, but there were two players who had only played once.

The turn order was as follows:

1: Roslin, Egbert (new player)
2: Helo, Sjoerd B. (new player)
3: Apollo,
Walter Stevenhagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

4: Baltar, Me
5: Starbuck, Sjoerd T.

The game started quietly with the destruction of the raiders by Starbuck. Apollo destroyed some other raiders which spawned from the Basestar. The only problem was a Centurion that had boarded us because of a Cylon Virus. Just before we jumped Apollo wanted to play a Strategic Planning to destroy a heavy raider when it was needed to destroy the boarding party, which, after having moved twice, was causing us considerable concern.
Luckily we were able to dissuade him of playing it on the heavy raider, but still we were somewhat suspicious. Especially since Apollo was played by a player who often analysis every move.

We got another jump icon in his turn and jumped away. Since Helo was not to sure about what the good destiny cards were he asked us for advice (without breaking secrecy rules) and we jumped to a barren planet. At this point we had only lost one or two of each resource and were in a good mood.

In the following turn I got a crisis allowing me to look at someone's loyalty card. The obvious choices of course were the president or admiral, but since Apollo's behaviour was suspicious I had a look at his card and sure enough I found the first Cylon. He didn't even bother to deny it. The next turn we failed a brig attempt by a lot. In fact there was only one positive card, and it was purple, since both Helo and Starbuck were the only ones who could have played it cries that: "Sjoerd is a Cylon" immediately went up. Still, we weren't too sure if it wasn't an honest mistake. So the president (executive) ordered me to take a look at our admirals loyalty card using my special ability...
And that is where it went wrong. Helo turned out to be the other Cylon, which I immediately exclaimed, thinking that this should be a cakewalk with both Cylons known. I was wrong.

Instead of revealing themselves both Cylons started an extreme spree of sabotage. They jumped in Helo's turn, costing us 3 population, which they gleefully did without having to use Helo's reroll ability. Our Cylon admiral then chose a Tylium planet as a destination, but obviously didn't bother to send out a raptor.

At this point we were still in good shape, fuel was a bit low, but the other resources were still in the blue. We were somewhat afraid that both the admiral and his successor were Cylons and that they were sitting in a row. From this point on however the Cylons could plot together about what they were going to do to us and they slowly but surely started whittling us down. Starbuck was an easy target to imprison and with some help of the destiny deck they succeeded in throwing the only non Cylon pilot in prison. We got her out just in time to fight the arriving Cylons, but it cost us another couple of turns since we were running low on cards due to food shortages and other crises.

Arriving Cylons however meant putting vipers on the board, and using Apollo's ability he was able to jump in a viper and XO Helo, this unfortunately happened several times, meaning Helo could lead the Civvies like blind sheep right into the arms of the raiders, costing us plenty of population and even more fuel. At this point thinks were almost hopeless with only three fuel left and only three distance travelled but since surrender is not a word found in our dictionary we tried to carry on.

The inevitable conclusion was that we were in a position where we wanted to jump because the need to keep our Civvies save, but we really couldn't since our fuel was only at one. And the admiral was still a Cylon. Helo however was imprisoned meanwhile by use of Roslins once per game abilty to draw Quorum Cards and a lucky Arrest Order.

In retrospect it would have been much better to lie about Helo's loyalty so Apollo would think himself alone and reveal. In that case I would have lobbied to imprison Apollo and once in the brig we could have taken care of Helo. But since both Cylons knew the other in the same turn they were able to wreak havoc almost unopposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent little tactical tip there, much appreciated :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Stevenhagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The use of the Strategic Planning was an honest mistake on my part. I had just looked at my cards and saw that I didn't have any XO's or Launches, so I assumed there to be multiple Plannings. Problem was, Apollo only draws a single Tactics...

The game ended at zero fuel, though population was at 2 and food at 3. After 3 jumps, the distance was 4 (and the last fuel was gone), gotta love those Tylium Planets when the admiral is on the right side.

It was also very painful to have Roslin as a president without time to give the title to someone else. At the end of the game she had drawn 2 Quorum cards and used only one (and that was using her ability).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking "Why didn't they have the President play some Quorum cards on the Cylons?"...Roslin's drawback can be really annoying at times like this.

As for not proclaiming Helo's guilt, I find that really only works if the person whose loyalty card you just looked at thinks you're the other Cylon. It sounds like it was clear that Apollo was one Cylon, so once you look at Helo's card, he knows he's caught and will just start doing as much damage as he can. But if you can convince him you're on his team by proclaiming him innocent, and then turn around and chuck him in the brig later, it works much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had proclaimed Helo innocent, at least Apollo would have been seriously misinformed. I could probably have convinced the others to brig Apollo first by claiming he had "the most dangerous" Cylon card (which he didn't). Still, it is impossible to predict human (or Cylon) reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(funnier in person)
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapoleon wrote:
If I had proclaimed Helo innocent, at least Apollo would have been seriously misinformed. I could probably have convinced the others to brig Apollo first by claiming he had "the most dangerous" Cylon card (which he didn't). Still, it is impossible to predict human (or Cylon) reactions.

But then there is some discussion on how much of that information (the Text of a Cylon Loyalty card) you can reveal. I know there are ways to tip toe around secrecy rules of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Stevenhagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problem in saying "someone has a more dangerous card", especially since players may even disagree about this and some cards get a lot more powerful in certain situation. For example, I think the morale one is about the worst you can get, but when that resource is already under heavy attack, sure (by the way, this was my card, the other player had the Brig card). You obviously can't say which card someone has, but using polar opposites (Maybe "his card is scary and his one isn't"?) should be possible.

If Helo had been declared innocent, then the other non-cylon players would have been seriously misinformed. I knew I was a cylon and I knew you weren't one because of the way you reacted when you checked my loyalty. I didn't even try denying it, so the other players also knew I was a cylon. If you then said that Helo was innocent, the other two players might have tried brigging eachother since both knew they weren't a cylon and you and Helo were probably innocent as well. This assuming the presence of a second cylon to be accepted since the players acted as if someone might have made a mistake. If the players were trying to brig eachother like that, it would even have been easier for me to stay on the outside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.