Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » General

Subject: Questions about deluxe vs. orginal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so everywhere I ask everyone says that these games are vastly different!? Also i read that there are more charracters in deluxe including also interesting variant rules!? But in orginal you can only play with one set of charracters?!

Also the combat system is different? how?

What is different in the two games?
Which is the same?
And which one is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe version has updated artwork and board. It has the additional 18 characters. I think the rules are exactly the same. In the US FFG only supplies the deluxe version at this point.

Unless you can get the non-deluxe version significantly cheaper I think I would choose the deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
One other difference: The deluxe comes in the big square Kosmos box. The non-deluxe comes in a box that's like a Kosmos 2p box, but a tiny bit thicker.

I traded my deluxe for a non-deluxe because I travel with my games, and a small box is nice to have. But yeah, the rules are the same, except that the deluxe has 18 new characters. You can't play with 36 characters at once though; you can play with the original characters, with the new characters, or you can draft and end up with a mix of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

imho,the DeLux version is better and that is the one I own. My nephew has the other version and he now plays mine laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the artwork on the Deluxe is more your typical overdone FFG fantasy schtick; the original had John Howe artwork that was (if nothing else) at least more "grown up", subdued and non-comic-bookish.

I own the deluxe and have played the original. I have never used the expansion characters in my deluxe set, but I've only played it maybe 8 or 9 times. It does feel odd having such a large box for only a 2-pl game. If you travel a lot with games, probably get the smaller one. Though when I bought my deluxe, the smaller was out of print and SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the deluxe; too lazy to check if that's the case now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
Ok so everywhere I ask everyone says that these games are vastly different!? Also i read that there are more charracters in deluxe including also interesting variant rules!? But in orginal you can only play with one set of charracters?!

Also the combat system is different? how?

What is different in the two games?
Which is the same?
And which one is better?

I own both games.

The ONLY differences other than the art and the new characters (which are much inferior to the original characters) are:

- There are two extra special cards for each side (Crebain & something else for Sauron which moves two pieces in the one turn, and The King Revealed & something else for the Free People).

- The 'recall to Mordor' card, which in the original game enables the Sauron player to bring a dead character back to the board, but in the Delux edition only allows a 'live' character to be placed back in Mordor. This is an improvement on the original game.

In all other respects the games are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnclark wrote:

- The 'recall to Mordor' card, which in the original game enables the Sauron player to bring a dead character back to the board, but in the Delux edition only allows a 'live' character to be placed back in Mordor. This is an improvement on the original game.

In my (Swedish) version of the original non-deluxe game the "Recall to Mordor" card works in the latter way. I guess that the rules were updated in some fashion.

On the other hand, the Swedish version has some ridiculous errors, such as Pippin's character text saying that he can retreat backwards only when attacked (like Frodo) when in fact it is only possible when attacking. The rulebook gets it right, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My American non-Deluxe has the same "recall to mordor": Sauron can play this to bring a LIVING character back to Mordor. John, are you sure that there has been a non-Deluxe that had this superpowered version of Recall? Because Hattes and I don't have it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.