Subject: "Real" wargames for PS2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kulp
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
I'm always a generation behind. $50 now for a PS2 system, baby!

Anyway, I digress.

Are there any good "real" wargames for PS2? Not stupid first person shooters, but REAL ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cleaver
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
This list might be helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Based-Strategy-Games-PS2/lm/4ZI2T...

Gladius gets my vote for being the best PS/2 strategy game -- it is a neat little tactical game masquerading as an RPG with a lot of length and depth to it. (I keep an old XBox around just to play it from time to time)

While they're not exactly hardcore flight sims, the Ace Combat series are fun plays as well and can be had for next to nothing, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jc4751 wrote:
This list might be helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Based-Strategy-Games-PS2/lm/4ZI2T...

Gladius gets my vote for being the best PS/2 strategy game -- it is a neat little tactical game masquerading as an RPG with a lot of length and depth to it. (I keep an old XBox around just to play it from time to time)

While they're not exactly hardcore flight sims, the Ace Combat series are fun plays as well and can be had for next to nothing, too.

After looking through that list, the answer is clear. no. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PT POGO
msg tools
Not a PS2 game, but it will work on a PS2. "Allied General" is a PS1 game that is pretty good and will even work on your PS2 and early PS3 units. I just sold my copy on eBay the other day.
That was the only wargame that was strategy really ever released. I downloaded a new version of Panzer General for PC though that works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try finding the old "general" series games - "panzer general" and "allied general". They were really pretty good. Fairly historical, plus really goofy voice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring of Red was a very good strategy type game with like WWII era mechs. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
The closest you'll probably get is Dai Senryaku Exceed VII, which I found to be an enjoyable Panzer General like turn based strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is P.T.O. IV but if I recall it wasn't a great game. Still, might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bolderson
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrlokSubedei wrote:
The closest you'll probably get is Dai Senryaku Exceed VII, which I found to be an enjoyable Panzer General like turn based strategy game.

I second Dai Senryaku Exceed VII. Good game, and should be dirt cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kulp
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Yikes! Looks like it's kinda skimpy. OK, thanks for suggestions. Looks like the General series are the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I don't like the consoles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
This is why I don't like the consoles.

I agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nowen Brian Fernandez
Canada
flag msg tools
Could you be more specific what you mean by "Real"?
Have you checked out 'Heroes Over The Pacific' yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
Koei puts out a number of PS2 strategy game lines including Romance of the Three Kingdoms (ROTK), Kessen, Pacific Theatre of Operations (PTO), and Nobunaga's Ambition. Their games never go mainstream, always flying under the radar (some gamers don't like the learning curve of them) but they are well worth trying out.

My advice would be to try out ROTK VII first which you can normally pick up for a song.

simpson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you can get a hell of a lot of good games for a song. I know it's not what you're looking for, but you will likely get a lot of play out of Gran Turismo 4, and you can get it for under $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a serious effort to track down PTO IV. It is fun to play with the ships, but there is not a lot of wargaming going on. I enjoyed Panzer and Allied General on my Mac more than PTO IV. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to stray away from WWII titles you could take a look at Front Mission IV, Star Trek Conquest, Wrath: Unleashed, Dune 2000 (PS 1), and Space Hulk (PS 1). The last being squad level action but a great game in my humble opinion.

Supporting previous posts on this thread, Panzer General and Allied General, both for the PS 1 are your best bets. PTO IV is fun, but the lack of enemy AI makes the game way to easy to beat.

Dai Senryaku Exceed VII: Modern Military Tactics is a good strategy game for the PS 2, but is best with a human opponent as the AI of the game is somewhat lacking. You can have up to 4 players in the game and even design your own boards. Building up you army is probably the funniest part of the game.

Another real time strategy/tactical game that I find fun and quick is Alien versus Predator: Extinction. Each race (human, alien, predator) gets ten missions that get harder as you proceed. The real time can make it really difficult as you can get overrun pretty easily if you do not have defense-in-depth, especially for the poor humans.

Other PS 1 titles you might look for are: Civilization II, Railroad Tycoon, and Command and Conquer:Red Alert.

I have not purchased a next gen console as I have devoted my free time to board games and have stayed with PS 1/2 games and have quite a collection so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can.

Hope you find the right game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure if I'd call this a "real" wargame, but it's a game with tactics and features armies fighting in a turn-based fashion.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/452/452701p1.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kessen series were okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
Ring of Red was a very good strategy type game with like WWII era mechs. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I agree, RoR was cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_of_Red

I cant access youtube at work, but there are a bunch of videos of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.