Subject: Artillery limitations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be that given the restrictions on artillery support of an attack (Section 8.1), the only way a non-armored artillery unit with unlimited range can support an attack is if there are two HQ or Gen units involved; one Gen/HQ that commands the attacking infantry and another HQ that commands the artillery unit some distance away. Is this the case?

Since both the attacking infantry and the artillery unit have to be in command, how can this attack be performed with only one HQ? Wouldn't they all have to be adjacent to each other in a 3-hex line? This arrangement wouldn't even work if the position being attacked projects fire on the artillery unit if non-armored.

Why not allow HQ-commanded artillery to support any infantry unit so long as that infantry possesses a radio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Face it Rick, your non-armored artillery is pretty useless through turn 16. Historically not a single artillery fire mission occurred until late in the afternoon. That is why the artillery attack requirements in 8.1 include the parenthetical note reading "You will find this condition difficult to meet until late in the game." In the extended game, HQ units can convert to command posts (Section 18), extending their command range up to four hexes, thus allowing an HQ/Command Post to command infantry and artillery separated by several hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up John - what makes this game so interesting and fun to play is that it's in fact two games in one. And since I am only now getting to the "second half" - the battle for the high ground - I am starting to realize that some of these limitations (like artillery support) I encountered in the "battle for the beach" go away. Great concept!!

As I commented on a previous post, I licked my wounds from my first defeat, quickly restarted the game and after 24 hours, I stand on high ground with a new challenge ahead of me! I was able to get 15 VP's through turn 16 and so the battle will rage on!!

I am pausing to re-read the game rules for Turn 17-32 only to develop a strategy for how to proceed. I would hate to have put in all this time only to not score sufficient VP's based on poor decisions. DDOB is like chess, in that you need to think several turns ahead. The game system doesn't forgive poor planning. And I like that!!

I can see where this game really should be played cooperatively; you need two heads to think through all the various possibilities and opportunity costs.

I know you've heard this a hundred times by now, but A TIP OF MY HAT to you for a great game!

Ricklaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Fromme
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This complete uselessness of non-armoured artillery struck me as odd as well and luckily I found this post clarifying it. So I am able to read rules after all

Anyway: During "First Waves" this makes me place artillery units deliberately into the most intense fire zones to let them catch the bullets that would otherwise hit more important units...shake Am I doing that correctly? Strictly rules-wise, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fromme wrote:

Anyway: During "First Waves" this makes me place artillery units deliberately into the most intense fire zones to let them catch the bullets that would otherwise hit more important units...shake Am I doing that correctly? Strictly rules-wise, that is.

After few times I was happy that non-inf units were hit instead of other valuable units I came here to look for posts about anyone using any sort of voluntary "sacrifice" tactic.
I did not find any comment on that.. and i was happy

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.