Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are folks getting playing Steam rules on Barbados? I seem some postings with Age of Steam rules, but not sure how they compare to Steam. I got 55 on my first try (45 VP + 10 Income).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey James,

1. How many cubes have you been putting in the supply chart? I've been using 2 cubes. Just guessing that's right.

2. I've played twice and I've gotten 61 (53 + 8) and 57 (48 + 9). I feel like a high score depends a lot on the initial cube placements.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure what I did the first time, but the second time, I did 2 cubes, and scored 59.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forsytjr wrote:
I'm not sure what I did the first time, but the second time, I did 2 cubes, and scored 59.

Yeah, 2 goods feels find. Just scored 68 in my third game. Seemed like everything was going just right though,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried this last night with Age of Steam Rules. Although I like the Steam rules, for solo, I think AOS rules worked better. This is because there is some uncertainty about when/if the cubes will come out during the production round. So it gives you something to react to as the game progresses. With Steam rules, everything is known at the very beginning, so you can just plan all your actions out at the very beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got 40 in my first try using 2 cubes. I was using my AoS components so I am sure that had something to do with it

I agree that the AoS rules work better with the solo maps from Ted. They are however, still fun with the Steam rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
My scores have followed a similar progression to the above, best is 85 now (shipping only one yellow cube, which was one too many).

I'm enjoying Barbados with Steam - planning your game to the supply has its benefits, and its good discipline for larger games. (I could see Barbados getting played out, but I'm still learning.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
There was some question about goods setup above. Here's Ted Alspach's setup instructions, from his Barbados rules for Steam -
- 2 cubes on each yellow city
- 2 cubes in each of 6 supply areas
- remove purple, yellow, and 2 gray new cities
- no purple cubes
- play 10 full turns

4 actions are available - engineer, locomotive, urbanization, and city growth; all have to be selected once, before any can be selected again. (The 4 actions recycle every 4 turns.)

Ted's rules say to score by summing your VP and Income tracks. I don't see why normal Steam scoring isn't used here, though?

(I didn't do the variant scoring - I counted track points in my score above, and usually adjust my vp's for income/expenses as normal. My score was 70 without track-points.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I just got 59 points and thought I did good. I just suck at this map I guess...lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
You want to target shipments of something like 2 (turn #1), 3, 4, 5/5, 6/6 (turn #5-#10) - about 91 shipment points are there, ideally. (A lot of cube-draws seem to actually put this within reach, or close. Use 1 delivery on turns #1-3 to upgrade locomotive, and select locomotive-action on turns #4 and #5.)

Also, you'll usually complete 15-16 track links.

So there's ~105 VP's available, in principle.

Depending on how many are used for income .. I think a score above 90 is certainly possible.

(In my games, I tend to overlook something, and get a poor shipment during turn 7 or 8; or, I have to use the 5-point delivery for income. And, I probably spend poorly. I score in the low 80's as a result.)

I'm thinking about cutting down to 5 supply spaces w/ 2 cubes each (instead of 6) - six is just too phat - if I've screwed up my planning, I can still use urbanize and city-growth at the very end, which seems too easy.

edit - corrected initial shipment target/total
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
If you're interested, here's the start and end of an example game scoring 81, along with some commentary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brikke -
msg tools
I tried your setup, and scored 86 (Steam scoring rule) or 76 (Barbados scoring rule). 67 VP, 9 IP, 15 links. This was a major improvement over my first Barbados game, where I scored 51 I think.

I followed your advice on shipping black cubes to Brighton the first rounds. I urbanized a red city in Holetown in round 5, and the blue city was urbanized in South Coast in the 9th round. I think you said you did Loco in rounds 4 and 5, but I felt I needed to urbanize in round 5 in order to make any shipments. I did the next Loco in round 6.

I see no reason why a different, yet so similar, scoring rule was introduced for this map. It's just silly and slightly confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
brikke wrote:
I think you said you did Loco in rounds 4 and 5, but I felt I needed to urbanize in round 5 in order to make any shipments. I did the next Loco in round 6.

Cool! (I think I did with that setup, too.)

brikke wrote:
I see no reason why a different, yet so similar, scoring rule was introduced for this map. It's just silly and slightly confusing.

Yeah - one major virtue of solitaire is to improve your 'real' play - changing VPs queers that for no good reason. (Maybe Barbados's rules for Steam are ambiguous re: whether completed links should count, and they're supposed to, as normal. Regardless, the income/expense contribution should be normal Steam too.)

So far, the various Steam updates from Bezier seem the minimum possible to carry Bezier's maps from AoS to Steam. The Bezier maps don't work the way a Steam player would expect or desire, imho; instead, they work the way an AoS player who doesn't play Steam might translate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think that the Barbados map was supposed to include scoring for links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Silva
Portugal
Santa Maria da Feira
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made 65 pts in my first play (55+10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aube
Canada
Ste-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:

That's also my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:

So far, the various Steam updates from Bezier seem the minimum possible to carry Bezier's maps from AoS to Steam. The Bezier maps don't work the way a Steam player would expect or desire, imho; instead, they work the way an AoS player who doesn't play Steam might translate them.

Indeed. Fortunately if you're going to start buying lots of maps you might as well just buy a copy of AoS to play them with.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
tawny wrote:
Rob in Richmond wrote:

The rules printed on the map that came with 3rd edition AoS says to pay back your shares at $5/each, and your score is just your leftover money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
tawny wrote:
Rob in Richmond wrote:

The rules printed on the map that came with 3rd edition AoS says to pay back your shares at $5/each, and your score is just your leftover money.

Yes, that's what the rules say. My score was 64 remaining dollars and I started with 1 cube in each city. First time out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.