Recommend
102 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My game of the year rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Faidutti [+] Review [+] [View All]
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
For those interested, my Game of the Year is announced there

http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=divers&id=555

together with a long report of one year of gaming.
37 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A very nice and meaningful report. Thanks, Bruno.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
faidutti wrote:
Dominion's main system allows players to "build their deck" CCG style while the game is in progress. That's a big idea, and it will certainly be recycled in future designs. The problem is that this really fun idea has being applied to a very calculatory optimization game which doesn't feel fun at all. The time one doesn't spend shuffling card is spent making additions and subtractions. Very technical, very abstract, Dominion is game where the player who knows the game best, who takes the least risks and who adds and subtracts the fastest always wins. Where's the fun in this?
And what about the theme? It's vaguely medieval, but neither historical, because some gamers don't know history, neither fantasy, because some think fantasy is childish. The graphics are neither comical, because some gamers don't like comics, neither realistic, because it looks too serious, neither gothic or violent, because it's bad. As a result, Dominion has probably the blandest theme and graphics ever seen in a game.
This being said, I may change my opinion on Dominion if the expansion adds what the game is lacking - variety, fun, luck and violence.


Oh yes.

+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, "showed" is the word you're looking for, Bruno.

Quote:
Like Galaxy Trucker, however, Space Alert will stay in my game collection, if mostly for its ruleset, which is one of the most humorously and intelligently written I've ever read.


I like Space Alert far more than Bruno does, but I think we can definitely agree on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
BrenoK wrote:
faidutti wrote:
Dominion's main system allows players to "build their deck" CCG style while the game is in progress. That's a big idea, and it will certainly be recycled in future designs. The problem is that this really fun idea has being applied to a very calculatory optimization game which doesn't feel fun at all. The time one doesn't spend shuffling card is spent making additions and subtractions. Very technical, very abstract, Dominion is game where the player who knows the game best, who takes the least risks and who adds and subtracts the fastest always wins. Where's the fun in this?
And what about the theme? It's vaguely medieval, but neither historical, because some gamers don't know history, neither fantasy, because some think fantasy is childish. The graphics are neither comical, because some gamers don't like comics, neither realistic, because it looks too serious, neither gothic or violent, because it's bad. As a result, Dominion has probably the blandest theme and graphics ever seen in a game.
This being said, I may change my opinion on Dominion if the expansion adds what the game is lacking - variety, fun, luck and violence.


Oh yes.

+1


The thing that irritates me about Dominion is, I take my action, spend my money... then I get my money and actions back when I reshuffle. Wait, what...? This makes absolutely no sense to me, that the only "cost" is that I don't have those coins to spend next time it's my turn... but if I don't spend them this turn, I have to discard them anyway! I say again: Wait, what...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone got change for a pig?
Microver99 wrote:
The thing that irritates me about Dominion is, I take my action, spend my money... then I get my money and actions back when I reshuffle. Wait, what...? This makes absolutely no sense to me, that the only "cost" is that I don't have those coins to spend next time it's my turn... but if I don't spend them this turn, I have to discard them anyway! I say again: Wait, what...?

Right, time to be boring.
In a medieval economy 'money' isn't usually money. Perhaps it was perishables, perhaps it was some artisans available now, but then moving on, perhaps it's unusually good weather making for a boom harvest and low prices etc etc etc. If you want to preserve your 'money' it's time to invent banker's drafts ie enter the Renaissance.
PS It's a game.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds of the Lloyds bank commericial from about 30 years ago.... "Have you got change of a ferret?"

A funny commercial, who'd have thought?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MatthiasC
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
misteralan wrote:

Right, time to be boring.
In a medieval economy 'money' isn't usually money. Perhaps it was perishables, perhaps it was some artisans available now, but then moving on, perhaps it's unusually good weather making for a boom harvest and low prices etc etc etc. If you want to preserve your 'money' it's time to invent banker's drafts ie enter the Renaissance.


I see, it's kind of a simulation.

Quote:
PS It's a game.


Huh???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the point is that games often sacrifice realism for gameplay. Occasionally it has some realistic basis if we look hard enough, but...not always.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno, I understand your choice of winner - they've done a good job with that, but...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I am so in love with the Dark Ages theme I can't give up Vinci. As you said about Dominion, fantasy is a bit of a bland theme. Give me Dark Ages any day!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to access the link. I noticed a month ago I couldn't get to Bruno's site as well.

Anyone else have this problem?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
Hallow wrote:
I can't seem to access the link. I noticed a month ago I couldn't get to Bruno's site as well.

Anyone else have this problem?


There's a dicussion somehwere about it. Seems to be a problem in the US with all the people using Verizon network. I've informed my provider about it, but had no feedback so far.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Quote:
Dominion is game where the player who knows the game best, who takes the least risks and who adds and subtracts the fastest always wins. Where's the fun in this?
I should hope that's the case, otherwise you might as well flip coins for a couple hours.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
Microver99 wrote:
The thing that irritates me about Dominion is, I take my action, spend my money... then I get my money and actions back when I reshuffle. Wait, what...? This makes absolutely no sense to me, that the only "cost" is that I don't have those coins to spend next time it's my turn... but if I don't spend them this turn, I have to discard them anyway! I say again: Wait, what...?

Right, time to be boring.
In a medieval economy 'money' isn't usually money. Perhaps it was perishables, perhaps it was some artisans available now, but then moving on, perhaps it's unusually good weather making for a boom harvest and low prices etc etc etc. If you want to preserve your 'money' it's time to invent banker's drafts ie enter the Renaissance.
PS It's a game.


I understand that it's a game. My point was not that it's real life - it was that it makes no sense to me.

I'm sure there are games I like which, for whatever reason, you dislike. That is your right.

As for the history lesson: whilst it is true that a system of barter existed and was used in large part for trade, the GAME contains MONEY. And even if it contained cloth or pigs or corn as barter, would it make sense to have these returned to you to fund your next barter? For me, I'm afraid, the answer is: "No." The mechanism is perfectly sound in execution, but it's one that grates with me.

Bruno was making some interesting points about why this game did not work for him. My post was simply a (tongue-in-cheek, admittedly) continuation of this theme - the reasons it doesn't really work for me; and, however facetious its presentation, I believe the point is valid.

This is a perfectly serviceable game but, like the OP, I don't find it very engaging. Sorry about that.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Isakson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a different and interesting discussion of your year in games - and thanks for posting the link here, else I might not have found it!

Happy gaming,

Tim
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If Chess were invented today, just imagine how much criticism it would get from those who can't find any fun in it, and besides the mechanisms make no sense.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But the mechanisms do make sense: you don't get something for nothing. I am not trying to trash Dominion - lots of people like it, therefore it must have merit. It doesn't work for me is all.

Not a great fan of Chess either, though. ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All that we see, or seem, is but a dream within a dream
B_Scheuert wrote:
misteralan wrote:

Right, time to be boring.
In a medieval economy 'money' isn't usually money. Perhaps it was perishables, perhaps it was some artisans available now, but then moving on, perhaps it's unusually good weather making for a boom harvest and low prices etc etc etc. If you want to preserve your 'money' it's time to invent banker's drafts ie enter the Renaissance.


I see, it's kind of a simulation.

Quote:
PS It's a game.


Huh???

There is no such thing as a simulation. Games are just games. Rules don't have to make sense, although we prefer them to do so. I merely offer a plausible explanation to 'explain' a rule of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The one time I played Small World, didn't like it. Pretty boring IMHO.
The field this year was weak looking over the games, the only ones that I bought are Castle for All Seasons and 2 de Mayo, both are good games. The rest that are listed - eh, nothing much of interest to me anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Choice is Small World. It has really hit a sweet spot with me working in both my adult gaming group and with my kids, who would have had no interest in Vinci.

So many new games I have not tried, just sad. I really want to try Confucius now. I had already heard good things about it and your praise just reinforced it.

I very much disagree on Space Alert and Galaxy trucker. I can see how you could conclude GT would be better as a computer game but it was a big hit with my kids. Playing multi-player video games with them is very unsatisfying to me as there is no real interaction. In that way a board game that can capture some of the feel of a computer game but still involve us real talking and interacting with each other is great.

Space alert I felt it added the pressure needed to prevent a game like Pandemic from devolving into one person directing all the actions and the others just watching. There is now skill in listening and carrying out your instructions correctly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic choice Bruno!

Last year my No.1 ever - Age of Empires III, now my absolutely hottest game of running year.

AWESOME.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Personally, I think that the jury for the SdJ is a little too full of themselves.


What makes you say that? Does the jury tell other people what they should like?

I don't mind Bruno telling us what he likes, even though all of his favorite games are the ones I like the least. I don't mind the SdJ either.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful and entertaining article!

I do question this snippet from the "Predictions" section though:
Quote:
It's hard to tell what will be the impact of the actual economic downturn on the boardgame industry, except for the fact that the CCG and other collectible games trend is definitely over.

I can definitely see a slimming of this format due to the state of world economies, but to suggest that the entire market of CCGs will disappear seems a stretch. Predicting the end of an entire category of games is a bold move.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That would explain it (Verizon is my provider).

Thanks for the reply.

faidutti wrote:
Hallow wrote:
I can't seem to access the link. I noticed a month ago I couldn't get to Bruno's site as well.

Anyone else have this problem?


There's a dicussion somehwere about it. Seems to be a problem in the US with all the people using Verizon network. I've informed my provider about it, but had no feedback so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dominion, think of the 7 copper coins you start with as your income, not your cash balance. Buying silver, gold etc., represents you increasing your income.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.