Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Second play : Couple rules questions and some general game play talking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that I don't want to open my box for the correct names because it's late but you will know who or what I'm talking about.

Aschan Pete's ability is that when he draw a certain card, he can look at the top and bottom one. When we discard items, spells or any card after use, do we put them under the pile so we can use it agian, or we make a seperate discard pile and shuffle them if we ever run out of items or spells card (which never happened yet)? When we go at the curious shop, you pick up 3 cards, buy one and discard the 2 others. As I see it, you would put the 2 unbought cards under the pile since they were not used at all. Also here, does Aschan look at the 3 top and 3 bottom, or 3 top and 1 bottom? When we use a spell or an item and it says discard after use, would we put them under the pile or in a seperate pile. I guess the strategy would be if someone used a elder sign, put it below the pile, Aschan could go there and buy the sign which was under the pile? Which would make the game so much easier?

The item healing stone which says that in the upkeep, we exhaust it to gain 1 stamina or sanity. Me and my friend had a discussion. When I use it in the upkeep in turn 3, in the upkeep at turn 4 you unexhaust it but you can only use it in the upkeep in turn 5 right? thats how I see it. My friend was telling me that you could unexhaust it and exhaust it again in the same turn. But this logic is flawed, since if the upkeep last long enough to untap and to tap it, well it could last infinitaly long and I could gain 3 stamina and 3 life in 1 upkeep which would be stupid.

I fought a mob which said that if I won a combat check, i didnt get the card, but it was put in the box and I gained 1 unique. Put in the box meant out of play or in the monster bucket?

General game play discussion.
2 player with 2 char each :
Me : Photographer and the woman which allows you to reroll missed rolled in checks - can be used once per game turn.

Friend : Aschan Pete and the Nun (girl which start with holy water and a crucifix).

The GOO was Azgaloth (the one that if he awakens, the world is doomed)

I choose this mob for our second game since it would allow us to play the 5 phase longer since the mob had a long doom track. This would help us play phases faster which would lead to less downtime.

Well we finished the game is 2:45 min with 6 sealed gate, 3 of those was with elder sign. Azgaloth never had more than 6 counters on his doom track. Terror levels was at 2.

The nun did nothing. We thought that maybe she could help us go close gates since she couldnt get LiTaS which meant being devoured but that was not the case. She starts with so few things that she never had time to pick up. We needed our items and couldnt trade with her. She killed 3 mobs in the whole game which was in late game when it didn't count.

The photographer : well i got lucky and at the start, got the tommy gun (in 2 games, I started with that), a +3 magic weapon and the spell that changes a physical damage weapon to magic or vice versa. I closed 3 gates, killed about 13 worth of toughness monsters. I had 1 close call with 1 sanity in the OW.

The girl with the missed rolled in a check power : She closed 2. She was quite good but her skill is so helpful. She helped us every turns. I think she made the game too easy. 3 time in the OW, she did encounters that would have sent her LiTaS, but won them all.

Aschan did moderately good. closed one gate but never got some cash to get items after his initial ones.

This game left me and my friend a bit of sour taste in our mouths. We got a couple of close calls, but in the whole, the game was too easy. We are doing our phases really fast now since we understand how it works. We forgot a couple basic things like our 3 first closed portals we forgot to remove monsters of the same dimension, but we missed only 2 monsters so it only gave us a bit more challenge. We finished the game and was like, Uh. This game was ok in fun factor, but not challenging enough. Is Azgaloth always this easy, or having that reroll check chick made things way to easy? Also about the gates, I notice that when we close 2,3 gates, like 75% of the time, it's a monster surge or a sealed location. I don't know if it's our luck, but it happened also in our first game. this makes the game way easier.

I guess it's a bit of a rant since I love this game but this session left a sour taste which I never tought of having in just my second game. Next time, getting a real GOO that has a negative slumber effect would be better. Hastur and Chtulu seems hard enough

Can the nun actually become good in a game alone? Seems she has to be given everything by other characters to at least become competetive or maybe she needs to get a bank loan to get her started?

Well that's it for now. Gnight!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
I guess the strategy would be if someone used a elder sign, put it below the pile, Aschan could go there and buy the sign which was under the pile? Which would make the game so much easier?


Except ES states on the card that it is returned to the box after use . King in Yellow and Old Journal do come to mind with Pete (Tomes that gives 4 and 3 Clues respectively upon use and are discarded to the bottom; and they're cheap).

Quote:
But this logic is flawed, since if the upkeep last long enough to untap and to tap it, well it could last infinitaly long and I could gain 3 stamina and 3 life in 1 upkeep which would be stupid.


FTFPs (follow the ****ing phases ).

Upkeep:

#1: Refresh (so unexhaust HS)
#2: Perform Upkeep Actions (so exhaust HS if you use it)
#3: Adjust Skills

Once you go #2, you can't go back to #1. It's all in page 6.

Quote:
I fought a mob which said that if I won a combat check, i didnt get the card, but it was put in the box and I gained 1 unique. Put in the box meant out of play or in the monster bucket?


OOP.

Quote:
The photographer : well i got lucky and at the start, got the tommy gun (in 2 games, I started with that), a +3 magic weapon and the spell that changes a physical damage weapon to magic or vice versa. I closed 3 gates, killed about 13 worth of toughness monsters. I had 1 close call with 1 sanity in the OW.


Lol @ Darrell with Spells. What's his max Lore, 3? (too lazy to check)

Quote:
Aschan did moderately good. closed one gate but never got some cash to get items after his initial ones.


Trading, Darrell starts with a Retainer, should have money for Pete to exploit.

Quote:
Is Azgaloth always this easy, or having that reroll check chick made things way to easy?


Combination of the 2. Azzy is that easy, and Mandy to highlights it.

Quote:
Can the nun actually become good in a game alone? Seems she has to be given everything by other characters to at least become competetive or maybe she needs to get a bank loan to get her started?


Bank Loan in a solo game is a recipe for disaster ! Once you're out of money, one bad roll during Upkeep and you lose all your items.

As for Mary (my #1 char, though Trish is giving her a very, very solid race), I rarely get her items, unless there are left-overs so to speak. If you start with a lot of weapons, there are probably some you can pass to Mary. Otherwise, I collect Clues, hit spots where I know I might find equipment. Her Blessing helps her pass skills checks.


Base game Unique Item deck makes it too easy to shop for Elder Signs. Even with the "must buy" rule, 4 in what, 40 (?), holy cow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, used/lost items go on the bottom of the deck generally, so Pete can go get them if he wants to/has the money. And yes, Elder Signs get removed from the game, so that trick doesn't work there.

The epically long doom track on Azathoth makes things easier, and Mandy's re-roll is an insanely good ability. That might have contributed to making things easy. Getting lucky and starting with good items also makes things much easier.

Removing Elder Signs from the Unique item deck is the easiest way to step up the difficulty. I think a lot of people remove them all, but taking out 1 or 2 is probably good to start. The expansions also make things harder, but removing a couple of Signs is much cheaper.

Also, one little thing - I think the Healing Stone is supposed to cost $8, not $5 as is printed in some editions. (I can't keep track of what's been corrected in what edition blah blah.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Lol @ Darrell with Spells. What's his max Lore, 3? (too lazy to check)


Yeah but the spell which turn magic weapon to physical and vice versa has a 0 modifier. So I had 2 dices and with the lady reroll ability, I never missed one.

Quote:
Trading, Darrell starts with a Retainer, should have money for Pete to exploit.


Lost the retainer on the second upkeep blush. Looked in the rules and yes we could trade cash. Oh well.

Quote:
Is Azgaloth always this easy, or having that reroll check chick made things way to easy?


Combination of the 2. Azzy is that easy, and Mandy to highlights it.

Quote:
Can the nun actually become good in a game alone? Seems she has to be given everything by other characters to at least become competetive or maybe she needs to get a bank loan to get her started?


As for Mary (my #1 char, though Trish is giving her a very, very solid race), I rarely get her items, unless there are left-overs so to speak. If you start with a lot of weapons, there are probably some you can pass to Mary. Otherwise, I collect Clues, hit spots where I know I might find equipment. Her Blessing helps her pass skills checks.


We actually forgot her blessing card for the start so she played without it. I guess with her, you evade monsters and get clues? She doesn't seem to be good at the beginning to start killing mobs.


Quote:
Base game Unique Item deck makes it too easy to shop for Elder Signs. Even with the "must buy" rule, 4 in what, 40 (?), holy cow.


What is this must buy rules? Also we got lucky in our unique cards. 2 of the elder signs was not bought but 1 was aquired as a possession and another with an arkham encounter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:

What is this must buy rules? Also we got lucky in our unique cards. 2 of the elder signs was not bought but 1 was aquired as a possession and another with an arkham encounter.


Basically, if you go shopping in one of the stores, you have to buy one of the items that you draw (assuming you can afford one of them). You can't just discard all the items you drew and save your money to look again next turn.

But, to answer your original question, yes Azathoth is really that easy (at least until you start adding in gate bursts). He's the one I always use when I'm teaching new people the game, and the last teaching game I played, we won with only about 7 doom tokens on his track. So it sounds like you're ready to step it up a notch or two.

Yog-Sothoth or Shub-Niggurath might be a good next step. Cthulhu's probably the hardest in the base set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scratched wrote:
Yog-Sothoth or Shub-Niggurath might be a good next step. Cthulhu's probably the hardest in the base set.


Actually, Yog Sothoth is IMO the hardest (from base). He's still fairly high in the difficulty chart when every GOO is added. That 2 successes to close a gate is nasty. Devoured in LiTaS also tends to kick in at the worst times. Cthulhu for me is the 2nd easiest from base game (only Azzy is easier) and overall 3rd easiest (tied with Tsathoggua). Still early days with the IH GOOs though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
Note that I don't want to open my box for the correct names because it's late but you will know who or what I'm talking about.

Aschan Pete's ability is that when he draw a certain card, he can look at the top and bottom one.

I don't know if anyone else in this thread caught this, but no—his ability is that he can draw off the bottom instead of the top. You don't get to see what the top card is until you've already committed to draw it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Bobthesnake wrote:
Note that I don't want to open my box for the correct names because it's late but you will know who or what I'm talking about.

Aschan Pete's ability is that when he draw a certain card, he can look at the top and bottom one.

I don't know if anyone else in this thread caught this, but no—his ability is that he can draw off the bottom instead of the top. You don't get to see what the top card is until you've already committed to draw it.


Your right. I think we missused his ability. Thanks for spotting t his.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
When we go at the curious shop, you pick up 3 cards, buy one and discard the 2 others. As I see it, you would put the 2 unbought cards under the pile since they were not used at all. Also here, does Aschan look at the 3 top and 3 bottom, or 3 top and 1 bottom?
I haven't seen these particular questions answered yet, so here goes. Yes, the two cards you don't buy at the curiosity or general store go to the bottom of the pile. If Ashcan Pete is shopping at the curiosity or general store, he either draws three from the top or three from the bottom, and buys one of those, putting the other two on the bottom of the stack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
puck71 wrote:
Bobthesnake wrote:
When we go at the curious shop, you pick up 3 cards, buy one and discard the 2 others. As I see it, you would put the 2 unbought cards under the pile since they were not used at all. Also here, does Aschan look at the 3 top and 3 bottom, or 3 top and 1 bottom?
I haven't seen these particular questions answered yet, so here goes. Yes, the two cards you don't buy at the curiosity or general store go to the bottom of the pile. If Ashcan Pete is shopping at the curiosity or general store, he either draws three from the top or three from the bottom, and buys one of those, putting the other two on the bottom of the stack.

Yes, you put the 2 other cards at the bottom of the pile in any order that you want.

When Ashcan shops, he can draw any combination of 3 from the top or bottom but may only look at the bottom card before drawing. I didn't want it to be misunderstood from this answer that it was either 3 from the bottom OR 3 from the top. It could be 1 from the bottom and 2 from the top or vice versa as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was only the top 3 or bottom 3 - I swear I saw that posted somewhere. The rationale being that for each instance of a "draw" happening, Ashcan picks whether he draws from the top or bottom. And the shops are one "draw" instance where he draws 3 cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
I thought it was only the top 3 or bottom 3 - I swear I saw that posted somewhere. The rationale being that for each instance of a "draw" happening, Ashcan picks whether he draws from the top or bottom. And the shops are one "draw" instance where he draws 3 cards.


I guess that would be the way to use Ashcan'a ability.

At the Curiosity Shoppe :

1st draw : Look at the bottom, if good take it, if not take the top and I guess since we know the bottom is not good, pick up the 2 others on the top.

1st draw : Take bottom card, then take second bottom card or top top....etc.

I guess we will do it like this, every draw is it's own instance. Though it kinds of make aschan pete ability a bit 'less awesome'
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
1st card: You can look at the bottom and then decide to take it or draw from the top.

2nd card: again, look at the bottom, decide to take it or draw from the top

3rd card: again, look at the bottom, decide to take it or draw from the top

Even if the bottom card is "bad" you may want to take it so that you can have acces to more cards on the bottom.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that ruled officially anywhere? I swear I saw the opposite at some point, that basically the drawing of 3 is a single event. I don't think it makes much of a gameplay difference, just curious. His card says "When Pete draws from the..." which is slightly different than something like "Each time Pete draws a card from the..."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
puck71 wrote:
Is that ruled officially anywhere? I swear I saw the opposite at some point, that basically the drawing of 3 is a single event. I don't think it makes much of a gameplay difference, just curious. His card says "When Pete draws from the..." which is slightly different than something like "Each time Pete draws a card from the..."

There is nothing official about "a general draw" vs. "individually drawing cards." Some were trying to make the case to make something work better in IH, I thought.

Ashcan says "When Pete draws ... he may draw from either the top or the bottom of that deck, his choice." The General Store says "...draw 3 Common Items..." I read that as 3 draws. And because of that, Scrounge can be used 3 different times.

I can't find any official ruling directly from Kevin but the confirmation of a lot of players has put this idea out there for many years with no contradiction. Doesn't mean it is necesarily right but it does mean a lot of serious players should have read those statements and otherwise corrected it. All I have seen is the "draw 3 anyway you want" theory and none supporting 3 top or 3 bottom.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess maybe it's the same question, but do you play it that you get to look at each card in the curiosity/general shop as its drawn, or do you draw all three (or four depending on the character) and then look?

We always draw all three, then flip them over. So we don't even have a chance to see what's been drawn and what's on the bottom. It's a very minor point, and moot for anyone but Ashcan, but I just want to make sure I play him right (or at least the same as everyone else).

I'm not even sure a scenario would really ever happen where it's relevant. Usually if the item on the bottom is good enough to buy, you'll just buy it, and if not you'll take three off the top. But I guess if the bottom item is just OK, you'd draw that one plus the top two? I've obviously never done that since I didn't think you could, but I guess that could make sense to do if you could.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Draw and look as I listed above. Otherwise, what's the point of Ashcan? To know only what is on the bottom of that one deck? Anyone can keep track of that as cards are discarded.

The point of Ashcan is he's a bum/hobo/whatever (oh, "drifter") and can scrounge around a bit to get some better stuff. Just because he finds it doesn't mean he can afford it, but still that is his function.

The ability is written that he can look at the bottom "at any time." Which means as soon as he draws off the bottom, he can look to see what new card has been exposed. If he doesn't like it, then he can take his chances with the random draw from the top just like everyone else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you're saying, again I just thought I read the opposite at some point, and always played it that way.

As to the point of Ashcan, his main power is being able to draw the bottom card, and I definitely let him do that. Anyone can track what's on the bottom, but it's pointless without being able to draw it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.