Subject: Is it okay to use other's images in geeklists? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it generally accepted as being okay to use other people's images in geeklists?

For example I saw a geeklist today about nice artwork in games. I want to add a game or two to the list. Can I just look through the gallery and find a good example and use the pic? Or will I be frwoned upon? angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really common for people to use any images on BGG in geeklists. I can't think of any time somebody got upset over it.

Using an image from somebody's personal gallery might possibly upset somebody, but even then as long as it isn't a photo of someone they're not likely to care.

If people only used images they uploaded we'd have a lot less geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's ok to use them, as long as you use them inside BGG. One or two pics I used outside BGG, but there I asked the uploaders for permission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If you run across something from someone's PERSONAL "Gallery", then by all means DO inquire 1st on any. While if that were included within yet an 'article' and the like, then no doubt it was intended for "public viewings"/usage.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume people have uploaded pictures to BGG with the purpose of having them seen by other people visiting BGG.

As long as the pictures are only linked to, everybody can still see who has made the picture and receive all relevant information about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is absolutely necessary to do so. Otherwise all image galleries would need pictures by any user who wants to put this game into a geeklist!

It is always nice though, in case you use pics in lists, reviews or threads, to put a small caption below, like:

Hotel Life custom managers

Photo by Daniel Danzer (duchamp)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you upload an image, there is a statement saying that you give permission to use the image in all sorts of BGG related stuff (reviews, geeklists, etc.). So, not only is it acceptable, but expected.

However, the copyright remains with the uploader. So, no off BGG use is authorized unless the uploader has so indicated. Somewhere around here is a list of photographers who have consented to off BGG use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
So, no off BGG use is authorized unless the uploader has so indicated. Somewhere around here is a list of photographers who have consented to off BGG use.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31874
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.