Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen many games over the years proclaim that they support solo play. To date none of them convinced me to actually play them solo. Until tonight.

For those who have avoided learning about this latest Knizia SDJ nominee, I think you should avoid it no longer. FITS is a game from Ravensburger for 1-4 players. Pentomino (although some are only 3 and 4 block pieces) style pieces are slid vertically down the provided ramps in an attempt to achieve the most points. Unlike Tetris, the pieces cannot be moved horizontally to fill in gaps.

There are 4 different boards that come with the game and you score points differently on each board. There is one universal scoring rule: If a gray dot on the board is exposed at the end of the round, it's worth -1 point. On the first board the goal is the simplest: Complete the most rows, each one being worth a point. The second board provides some bonus positive point spaces that are worth points if you don't cover them up. Board 3 has positive and negative bonus points, and then the 4th board forces you to try to leave sets of circles uncovered.

Whoever has the most points at the end wins.

This is not a deep strategy game, it's all about doing the best you can with the next card that flips up. This is a critical point as to why I enjoy this game. Every game ends with the feeling that you could do better and hence desire to play again, and again, and again.

While opening the game today, I just started flipping cards and playing the first board. I think I played through the 1st board 5 or 6 times before I stopped. My scores ranged from -5 to 6. The key here is that I was enjoying this by myself. I find this a really fun game and I'm encouraged by the solo playability. I think it lends itself to solo play more than other games I've played.

I think anyone that enjoys puzzle games will really like this game and it appears to be widely available now, so enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I've said this before, but here goes: I wish the boards could be sold separately
Why, oh why, four boards ? FITS would sell lots more if the buyer had a choice of different sets ( ie: for one player, for two etc). It is expensive to buy the game and not use the other three boards if you a solo player.

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I've said this before, but here goes: I wish the boards could be sold separately
Why, oh why, four boards ? FITS would sell lots more if the buyer had a choice of different sets ( ie: for one player, for two etc). It is expensive to buy the game and not use the other three boards if you a solo player.

Regards

I'll send $15 and shipping (from the US) to someone who wants to send me 2 boards! I'd love to play this with 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:
elfrododumbo wrote:

Regards

I'll send $15 and shipping (from the US) to someone who wants to send me 2 boards! I'd love to play this with 6.

I bought two copies in an order from Germany ($23 per copy including shipping as part of a larger order). The game works fine with up to 8 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.