3 Posts

Empires of the Middle Ages» Forums » General

Subject: compare contrast with 7 Ages ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both of these and am daunted by the length & reputed deficiencies poor presentation of their rules.

Both have multi-use cards and deal with creating empires; but how similar are they in game play? Does one have a clever rule or mechanism that the might work in the other?

To what degree does knowing the rules for one help or hinder you in playing the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are so completely different, that knowing one will be of no help in learning the other.

Trying to make some sort of hybrid between the two would probably end up unplayable. It is difficult to find any points of similarity between them, except theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EotMA = fun
7Ages = time between your game turns

The systems have virtually nothing in common. EotMA is about managing and expanding a European Kingdom during the Middle Ages. The player decides what they want to do, and flips a card to see if it is successful. To an extent, other players can intervene.

7 Ages is about a range of empires from Biblical to Modern, but focusses on churn of Empires, and the range of options available to players is entirely defined by their hand of cards. Game skill is about playing the cards well, and trumping other player cards. Waiting for other players to decide is tedious.

I've played 7 Ages with 7 players, and it took literally an hour between my turns. I had 2 cards to play, played them, both trumped by other players cardplay, turn over in under 30 seconds. Kicker is I still won the game.. but after 4-5 hours duration, and less than 60 minutes game involvement, I really didn't care.

On the other hand, I've played EotMA full campaign, took 4-5 hours every week for several months, and it was gripping all the time. However, I rate rate the scenarios as more fun, since the end game gets pretty wild, with treasuries being expended and some desperate gambits to pull ahead or pull back the leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.