Hide
6 Posts

Key to the Kingdom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stealing treasure cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stone Terror
msg tools
What are the circumstances by which someone can steal a treasure card from another player? The rules say you can if you land on the same space, but does it apply for special spaces too? For example, if the spot is a white arrow spot, the player has to stop after going through a challenge, so they're more likely to stop on that spot. A similar situation is the black arrow spots, which someone can land on both by fighting a monster or by landing on an exact role. Do both of those situations lead to someone stealing the treasure? (same with the bone pit skull spaces or the splash spaces from the boat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Unfortunately there are many holes in the rules of this game. It is inevitable to make some judgement calls on them or even turn these into houserules.
About your question: In my Dutch rules I find nothing about any exceptions on stealing. So, I'd say all spaces are alike in this respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
Actually there are NO holes in the rules. I have played this game hundreds of times in the last 15 years since I've had it, and there has NEVER ONCE been a situation where anybody said, "Hmmm, according to the rules, what would I do here?", after having already consulted the rules. The rule is, "If you land on the same space as another player, you may steal a treasure from him." You may not look at the treasure, and the design of the space is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Rayvn7 wrote:
Actually there are NO holes in the rules.
I presume you are assuming English rules? Since you are new here, I urge you to keep in mind that this site has a broad international user base.

Oh and please, use a more positive tone in your replies. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ouwerkerk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Actually the game IS full of holes. let me name a few.

For instance the rules state that every whirlpool has two entrance spaces, however only the domain of the Banshee Towers has clear ones. Then there are the questions of other access points such as the two parallel paths to the right of the bridge to the Evil Tower. if the right section of the board is still closed, is there an access point from one road to the other? because if there isn't it would take half an hour to get from one path to the other.

And then my personal favourite hole, over which me and my dad spend over an hour discussing and finally throwing the towel in the ring: the Swamp with the red and white tiles. The task says that you have to reach the other side by throwing uneven numbers so as not to land on the red tiles. BUT what if you throw a 1 twice? you threw an uneven number but you also landed on the red tile. OR what if you threw a 3, and then an 8? you made it across BUT you did not land on the red tiles while you did throw an even number. It's one or the other but both with a hole

It's a shame this game has so many holes because I really loved it when I was little (and no, I have no idea how I used to play it with these holes, it was 15 years ago)

My suggestion: rewrite the rules you find a hole in yourself (rather than inventing a sollution during the play) and make agreements on how to make the game more playable where is becomes confusing. That way you can really enjoy this game. for aside from it's flaws, it still IS a great game.

I have not yet read the english rules so I may have missed some things that were wrongly stated in the dutch rules. If I find the english rules I'll edit my post if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Moody
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
In the English handbook, I would say everything is pretty clear with the exception the whirlpool section in the hazard handbook. But I finally figured that out last night after playing it wrong for years when I was younger.

The section for the swamp doesn't say anything about even or odds in my handbook, it just says to roll the dice to go across. IF you land on a red stone then follow the remaining instructions for Grappling Hook or Net.

I would say that all whirlpool entrances are clear with the exception of the Ice Caves world. I've always played with that one being the spot directly below (The spot above the swamp's white dagger space) since it is the closest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.