Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Neuroshima Hex! Babel13» Forums » General

Subject: Cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just become available in the UK - wow, £25 for two sheets of counters/terrain overlays.

No board, no cards, no plastic pieces. That is very expensive cardboard! I know price is not exclusively the result of component cost etc, etc, for games but this is a little excessive.

The last Dungeon Twister expansion (Fire and Water) was the same, and the latest Race for the Galaxy expansion was close - I did give the latter the benefit of the doubt due to having to cover the costs of artwork for all the cards. However, the DT expansion and Babel13 will stay on the shelf for someone else to buy - despite me liking both games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ł25? Oh dear. That's twice the Polish price. o_o
Is this Z-Man's, or Iello's edition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Z Man edition. RRP is £29.99. Will be out on Tuesday 7th July

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Polish version. Seriously. It costs 60 PLN here, whch is... well... about Ł12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I will consider it - however I suspect there may be a few issues:-

- My Polish is not as good as your English, so the campaign rules may be difficult to follow. I did have a Polish guy working for me in IT for several years but he only taught me Polish swear words, and I've even forgotten those.
- How much is shipping from Poland? and is there an online seller you can point me at?
- Is the Polish version compatible with the Zman base game - which is what I have.

Thanks.

MichallusTG wrote:
Buy Polish version. Seriously. It costs 60 PLN here, whch is... well... about Ł12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- http://portalpublishing.eu/media/pliki/babel13_english.pdf Here you are.
- No idea here, really. Perhaps rebel.pl and UPS may help you here, but I'm not really sure.
- It is, though they may have different reverse sides of the tiles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:

- My Polish is not as good as your English, so the campaign rules may be difficult to follow. I did have a Polish guy working for me in IT for several years but he only taught me Polish swear words, and I've even forgotten those.


I think what Michal means (and Michal, please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you should buy the version from the original Polish manufacturer. Portal Publishing. That version contains the rules in English. The components are language independent anyway.
So there's no need to be able to work with a Polish rulebook.

EDIT: I just saw Michal's latest answer. Ignore this post. If the English rules are online, there's ne need to buy a specific language version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman: Yeah, right, I meant that Gordon should buy the version sold in Poland.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to have purchased the Z-Man editions of NH ($55) and NH:B13 (26$). It's a great game, great system, and great company. However I must say that the pricing does seem unusually steep. The base game and the expansion both fit nicely in the smaller box for NH:B13. When I look at that nice small box sitting on my shelf, a few thoughts occur to me. I imagine that to make that price look reasonable on a store shelf, some adjustments are required: the game needs to be split in two (base + expansion), and the the base game needs to be put into an extremely oversized box that excites the customer's imagination. Without that parcelling out of the game components, I find it hard to believe that such a small game would ever have been marketable at 80$. I wish the game was more affordable.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, in Poland, Iello ones cost 85 and 60 PLN, which gives us a total of 145 PLN. Which is about 46$.

Z-Man knows how to set the price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I ordered Babel13 during the Essen pre-order I think it cost me $70!! The shipping was terrible. Now I see the Z-Man edition runs under $25 online. Plus has my ref cards in it! So obviously a much better value, but then its a US edition which makes sense. Do I regret spending that much? Well I got it 8+ months early but with less bits. But if I hadn't you guys wouldn't have the ref cards by now.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
When I ordered Babel13 during the Essen pre-order I think it cost me $70!! The shipping was terrible. Now I see the Z-Man edition runs under $25 online. Plus has my ref cards in it! So obviously a much better value, but then its a US edition which makes sense. Do I regret spending that much? Well I got it 8+ months early but with less bits. But if I hadn't you guys wouldn't have the ref cards by now. ;)


But the 70$ contained whatever the the vendor of your trust thought was fair for shipping. Portal Publishing sold them for 20 Euros in Essen, that's less than 30$. So you paid more than 40$ for shipping (and the priviledge to get it earlier than most people).
Comparing these prices is not really fair, one was an import of a brand new game only available in Europe at the time, the other is a regular buy of a readily available US edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
ScottE wrote:
When I ordered Babel13 during the Essen pre-order I think it cost me $70!! The shipping was terrible. Now I see the Z-Man edition runs under $25 online. Plus has my ref cards in it! So obviously a much better value, but then its a US edition which makes sense. Do I regret spending that much? Well I got it 8+ months early but with less bits. But if I hadn't you guys wouldn't have the ref cards by now.


But the 70$ contained whatever the the vendor of your trust thought was fair for shipping. Portal Publishing sold them for 20 Euros in Essen, that's less than 30$. So you paid more than 40$ for shipping (and the priviledge to get it earlier than most people).
Comparing these prices is not really fair, one was an import of a brand new game only available in Europe at the time, the other is a regular buy of a readily available US edition.

Thomas, you are absolutely right. It wasn't fair for me to compare them. I got the expansion 8+ months early and most of the cost was for shipping. I also got the Essen bonus tile which didn't get included in the normal release.

Besides, I'm not mad about it, I knew I was paying a premium and if I waited I'd get it cheaper. But then I wanted to do the ref cards for the fans so got it early. Though, to be honest I'm not sure if I'll be ordering the Essen edition of Duel. Though I love the game, my gaming group doesn't enjoy it as much as I do so doesn't get played much. If Z-Man picks up the US edition I'll see if they still want ref cards and will hopefully work out something then.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i was at my FLGS yesterday and much to my suprise there was babel 13 with the zman logo on it. I knew it was coming soon, but was not actually sure of when.

I picked it up for $35 and skipped out of there like a happy school girl...err boy. Oh and nice job on the player aids Scott.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
boris317 wrote:
i was at my FLGS yesterday and much to my suprise there was babel 13 with the zman logo on it. I knew it was coming soon, but was not actually sure of when.

I picked it up for $35 and skipped out of there like a happy school girl...err boy. Oh and nice job on the player aids Scott.

Great to hear its in the stores. I'm still waiting for my comp copy!

I really want to see how the player aids turned out, especially the terrain one. I'm surprised no one has posted pics yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i tried taking pics with a shitty digital camera we have. The text came out blurry, so i didn't post it. Maybe i will scan it in.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anderson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
yea the player aids look amazing. Nice job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.