Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Combat Commander: Pacific at the beginning of March of this year and shortly after I managed to get a hold of Combat Commander: Europe, Combat Commander: Mediterranean and Combat Commander: Battle Pack #1 – Paratroopers.

Of all the things I really love about the CC system the random scenario generator really holds up over time. I've heard it described elsewhere as a mini-game in itself. It really is a version of CC foreplay and it is very exciting to see the battle-to-come developing before we play.

With the large amounts of maps and OoB's to pick from when we set up to play for the night we go through the following steps.

One player rolls the dice

- (a roll of 2) means it will be a historical scenario from either CC:P or CC:E we each pick one and flip a coin to determine which one of our choices will be played.

- (a roll of 3 to 9) means we will be playing using the RSG from CC:E

- (a roll of 10 to 12) means we will be playing using the CC: P RSG

I was wondering if any other big fans of this system have devised a way to decide what version and type of scenario will be played.

I'd also like to know if Chad or his minions have thought about developing a campaign system that would be usable across all the versions of this game....and if they are thinking about it would they consider making it available for free online.

I'm in the process of getting Combat Commander: Battle Pack #2 – Stalingrad and we are really pumped up about it.....I love reading about this battle in particular and I can't wait to try out the BP specific campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Glad to see you post this. I love CC and I have to admit that I've never given the RSG a try, primarily because it doesn't get to the table often enough to play the premade scenarios. There's already so much pregenerated goodness in this game system, and it helps to have a reminder (for me and maybe for some others) that there's a LOT of other worthwhile gameplay in this game as well. Man, I need to get this to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the RSG. You can really get some interesting scenarios out of it.

I wrote a RSG application for Windows Mobile PDAs that makes creating RSGs very fast (it's in the File section). If you don't have a PDA, you can download an emulator. The reason I mention this is that if you are unsure about the RSG try the app and you can see some of the interesting scenarios the system generates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indeed. I summed up my thoughts in my review:

Random Scenario Generator

Initial: Good
Current: Very Good

I didn't appreciate the RSG as much when i first opened the game. Not knowing too much about how it played out, i couldn't understand what all the choices in the RSG meant.

Now I know.

This is simply one of the strongest parts of this game. Playing scenario X over and over again, you'll likely find a winning strategy after a while. Set up on this side of the map and use thse forces in this cover to provide base of fire, rinse, repeat. That could get old.

The fact that you can potentially play as attacker or defender from each of the 4 map edges on 12 different maps (24 with med, more with the BPs) leads to 96 possible map setups (192 with med, more with the BPs)! And that's before you've even figured out which of the 2 axis or 4 allied nationalities you're playing!! Throw that in and we're at 576 possible combination (1152 incl. med) of map choice, map orientation, posture, and nationality.

Now throw in objectives that change, the 3 sizes of forces (company, detachment, platoon), the 3 types of forces (elite, line, green), and all the fortification (mines, wire, bunkers, trenches, foxholes) combinations.

We haven't even factored in which nationality, size, and type of forces you're opponent is using.

WOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.