Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello, Geeks!
I've just finished uploading some images of my game, Arxhenge. Take a look and let me know what you think about it or if you have any questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail.
Happy gaming!
O. Venn

For three days, the motley band of five unlikely allies hacked their way through the choking briars and suffocating thicket until one was heard to shout, "Over here!". The others quickly followed his voice to find him standing in an unexpected clearing where the determined sun shone down through a hole in the eclipsing canopy above. Before them was a massive, high stone wall covered in climbing vines and the thick, dark patina of age. "What is this place?", whispered, almost reverently, the Amazon princess. "Your fortune or your fate.", answered the old wizard, Vizant, "Here is the treasure I promised you. Here, you will find your destiny... or your death. Behold, my friends, the castle Arxhenge."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Appel
United States
Fairchild AFB
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems there are some images on the page but no further information about the game. The images look good. Still, I would be more interested in reading a manual or a step by step explanation of gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT HE SAID

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The unique design of the Arxhenge game board gives 4-choice movement from any room except the gate rooms along the perimeter and the center tower, but that is inconsequential. This means that, no matter what symbol you roll on the dice, you will have a move available to you. As you read on the page, there are currently three different games. The most complicated is 'Arxhenge' itself, which, while easy to learn, requires high-level strategic thinking, as in Chess.

The game most folks, even non-gamers, like is called 'Fortunato'. Players simply roll the dice, move the symbols rolled (or not) and try to steal the treasure from the center tower and escape with it before getting it stolen from them. The strategy of this game is knowing when to move or not and what move(s) to take. Simple, but really fun for kids and adults alike. We often play this game for small stakes.

The game 'Merlin's Madness', I've noticed, appeals to many women. It is not only a challenge of psychic ability, but a great way to develop it. The 4-choice movement works great for this as well and allows your opponents a chance to stop your progress by predicting which move you will make.

Many games are 'acquisition' games. You win by acquiring more than the other players (the 'M' word, anyone?) I hate these games because the winner is often decided long before the game is over. I wanted to design a game that NOBODY is winning until somebody wins it. The Arxhenge games acheive this goal.

I hope to have a PnP version available here soon. I've put in my request to admin, but haven't heard back from them yet. If you guys want to give them a little push in that direction by requesting it yourselves, we can maybe get it on site quickly.

Thank you for your interest and taking the time to look at my game. Hope to be playing it with you in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
P.S. If you guys don't mind doing this the hard way, drop me an e-mail at arxhenge@hotmail.com and I'll send you an image file of the game board and a Word file with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
It seems there are some images on the page but no further information about the game.

Did you scroll down the page to the info section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Appel
United States
Fairchild AFB
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did. Unfortunately it still was not enough to tell me what the game is about, only what it will try to be. I'm not trying to be overly critical, but the best opinion I can offer on your game is that many people will need more information to decide whether or not it is a game they can be excited about. Again, if you feel releasing a full game manual will give away too many secrets too soon, try writing up a three turn scenario to give interested readers an idea how the base game or one of the variants will work.

-v

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
vappel wrote:
Again, if you feel releasing a full game manual will give away too many secrets too soon, try writing up a three turn scenario to give interested readers an idea how the base game or one of the variants will work.

-v

I have no secrets. The game board is uploaded to this site. I'm new here, so I don't know if others can access the files I upload. If not, I can mail it to you. As far as the rules go, again, I am happy to send you a full copy. There is no manual, per se. I tried to keep the game simple and easy to learn and fun to play. I hope I have acheived that. If you are only interested in elite, complicated games, maybe this one is not for you, unless you like Chess. I do have a version of the game that is similar as far as it is easy to learn, but has a high-level strategic learning curve.

Just tell me what you want and where to send it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orrin Venn
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You asked for it, you got it!

There are two new videos on YouTube now. My ID there is the same as here. Just go and do a search for me and you'll find my videos, or you can click this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZaONfLy20

These two videos show how the Arxhenge games 'Fortunato' and 'Merlin's Madness' are played. And now, for the wierd part...

On the video titled 'Fortunato', at about 5:43 into the film, you will hear what is known as EVP or Electro-voice Phenomenon. I didn't notice it myself until I had uploaded the videos to the site and was checking them out afterwards. It sent chills up my spine. From 5:43 to 5:47 or so, you will hear the sound of a girl or young child laughing. It comes from across the room and approaches the camera so closely that you can actually hear the ghost inhale before its last laugh. Scout's Honor, when I say there was no one in that room except me and those three teenagers. None of them, nor do I, laugh like this. It's truly creepy. I went back and checked my videotape and the EVP can be heard on it, too. Why I didn't notice it while I was editing the tape, I don't know, but it is there. I have contacted some paranormal invesitgators to check it out. I'll keep everyone who is interested updated on this thread.

Peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.