Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Well, I need not remind anyone that it will be 70 years (3rd Sepember, 1939) since the beginning of WW2 and now wargamers are in for a treat due to a plethora of games relating to that war.
My main concern is that we might end up over-indulged and some of these games will be of inferior quality (play-wise). There are quite a number already being discussed on BGG (not a bad thing). However, I hope that we are not going to be taken advantage of by companies trying to get their games out in the market too quickly. Some of these games might not have been play-tested properly, some may look great and some may be utterly dreadful.
Buyers beware is very apt and particularly for those new to war games.
I am not buying until I read all the reviews and geekers' comments of a WW2 game that may look attractive at first glance but turn out to be just another WW2 game" !
There is still time, well at least a few weeks, before the seventy years "celebrations", so in the meantime: I will be playing the games I like and will not be influenced by all the hype

Regards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

My main concern is that we might end up over-indulged and some of these games will be of inferior quality (play-wise). There are quite a number already being discussed on BGG (not a bad thing). However, I hope that we are not going to be taken advantage of by companies trying to get their games out in the market too quickly. Some of these games might not have been play-tested properly, some may look great and some may be utterly dreadful.


I'm rather confident that you won't see these sorts of problems either in Chad Jensen's work in particular or GMT's lineup in general.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, GMT, and Jensen in particular, have some very interesting games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Well, I need not remind anyone that it will be 70 years (3rd Sepember, 1939) since the beginning of WW2 and now wargamers are in for a treat due to a plethora of games relating to that war.
My main concern is that we might end up over-indulged and some of these games will be of inferior quality (play-wise). There are quite a number already being discussed on BGG (not a bad thing). However, I hope that we are not going to be taken advantage of by companies trying to get their games out in the market too quickly. Some of these games might not have been play-tested properly, some may look great and some may be utterly dreadful.
Buyers beware is very apt and particularly for those new to war games.
I am not buying until I read all the reviews and geekers' comments of a WW2 game that may look attractive at first glance but turn out to be just another WW2 game" !
There is still time, well at least a few weeks, before the seventy years "celebrations", so in the meantime: I will be playing the games I like and will not be influenced by all the hype

Regards.


Of course if everyone follows your approach then there will be no reviews for you to consider.

blush


Given the niche nature of wargaming I doubt there will be a significant upkick in titles just because of the 70th anniversary of the beginning of the war in Europe. I suspect that you would get some argument that the war was entering at least its second year in China.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have questions (and I'm not trying to be a smartass here)...

The OP says he wants to wait to read the reviews and fellow geeks' comments regarding a game before deciding whether or not to get the game. Fair enough - I'm with you so far.

But then he says he won't buy into the hype. Now you've lost me. Isn't the "hype" being referenced here the positive feedback in the form of reviews and geek comments from folks who were not involved in the design/development or production of the game? Isn't this exactly the feedback (both the positive and negative reviews and comments) that he said he was looking for?

Can someone unconfuse me?

And out of personal curiosity - why post this comment in the CC folder?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:
Okay, I have questions (and I'm not trying to be a smartass here)...

The OP says he wants to wait to read the reviews and fellow geeks' comments regarding a game before deciding whether or not to get the game. Fair enough - I'm with you so far.

But then he says he won't buy into the hype. Now you've lost me. Isn't the "hype" being referenced here the positive feedback in the form of reviews and geek comments from folks who were not involved in the design/development or production of the game? Isn't this exactly the feedback (both the positive and negative reviews and comments) that he said he was looking for?

Can someone unconfuse me?

And out of personal curiosity - why post this comment in the CC folder?


My take was that he was differentiating pre-release hype from actual "I've played it and here's what I thought" reviews and comments

As for the CC folders? Well, when you think of war games you think of GMT...and when you think of GMT...

Right?

edit: because I can't speel today shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooohhhhh... now I get it. blush Thank you for setting me straight! (I was confused I guess because the pre-release "hype" was a few years ago...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to nitpick here, but wasn't the invasion of Poland started on September 1st, 1939? Any ideas?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame sluts don't get confused, do they? wow
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
JackFlash wrote:
Not trying to nitpick here, but wasn't the invasion of Poland started on September 1st, 1939? Any ideas?
HE is probably referencing WHEN the "Western Allies" had declared "WAR! for his 'date' denoted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
Wargame sluts don't get confused, do they? wow


Daily. My 15-year-old is convinced "MOM" stands for "Maker of Mistakes" after watching me fumble my way through a game today. blush

Confused... dazed... blinded by the muzzle flashes... lost in the smoke and noise of combat... surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I really cannot understand why I caused confusion, but if I did: I apologize.

This is what I was trying to get across:-
1 There will be lots more WW2 games coming out;
2 Possibility: not all of them will be reviewed here , so some buyers will rely on the description on the boxed game (particularly new wargamers);
3 For the games that will be reviewed on BGG there will be ratings and discussions and that will help most of us to make our choices;
4 I hope that some companies do not jump on the WW2 bandwagon and expect new wargamers to go by what is is printed on the game box eg: "This is the ultimate WW2 game you will ever need to own" ! That type of hype.
Number 4 is the main bone of contention.

Again, I apologize.
Regards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
"This is the ultimate WW2 game you will ever need to own" ! That type of hype.


Except that phrase COULD legitimately go on any of the Combat Commander boxes!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon, no need to apologize. I was just lost at what seemed (at my first glance) to be a statement directed at CC as being not what it is advertised as. The box text doesn't lay claim to being the "be all - end all of WWII games".

I don't know about other game companies, but I do know that GMT takes what designers bring to them. They don't request certain topics/units/time periods (etc.) from their designers. They understand that designers will do better work if they are personally interested in the topic.

Does that help?

(It's so hard to tell where you are coming from when I can't "hear" inflections in your tone. And, as I didn't know what prompted the post in the first place, it just struck me as... well... confusing.) blush I'm better now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...what is is printed on the game box eg: "This is the ultimate WW2 game you will ever need to own"

I would shy away from purchasing any game that made such a claim. That's something for the buyers to decide, not the (obviously biased) publisher. For me, I'd like my games to stand -- or fall -- on their own merits rather than some inflated hype meant to sell a few extra copies to the unwary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:
[q="JackFlash"]Wargame sluts don't get confused, do they? wow


Daily. My 15-year-old is convinced "MOM" stands for "Maker of Mistakes" after watching me fumble my way through a game today. blush

Quote:
Confused... dazed... blinded by the muzzle flashes... lost in the smoke and noise of combat... surprise



"I'm like that even when I'm not playing wargames"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Chad Jensen"]


Quote:
For me, I'd like my games to stand -- or fall -- on their own merits rather than some inflated hype meant to sell a few extra copies to the unwary.


If the success of Combat Commander is any indication, we can be assured that Fighting Formations can be a great game too! I can't wait for it to be published!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.