David Willems
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two somewhat unrelated questions:

1) If I seal a gate and a monster is still in the same area (and didn't have the same symbol as the gate - so didn't get taken off the board), I imagine that the monster still stays there? I know the rules say that a sealed gate "prevents a gate or monster appearing in this location", but ones that already exist there just stay, correct? Also, monsters can move into that location, it's just that gates/monsters can't be spawned there anymore?

2) When it comes to the cards in the game, do I just shuffle each deck once and pull the top card from the deck? When discarding do all cards just got to the bottom of the same deck or do they all have "discard piles" that would be shuffled once the deck is depleted?

Thanks!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct.

2. It depends on which cards we're talking about. For the unique and common items, spells and skills, discards do go to the bottom of the pile. (This is especially important when Ashcan Pete is around.) I believe these are only reshuffled if you're told to search through a deck for a specific item. I forget if the Mythos and OW decks technically have a discard pile or if they work the same way, but it doesn't matter since they have cards that force a reshuffle. The encounter decks, though, are reshuffled every time you have to draw from them, so you could potentially have the same encounter in a location several times in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let my noob self help other noobs!

Quote:
Two somewhat unrelated questions:

1) If I seal a gate and a monster is still in the same area (and didn't have the same symbol as the gate - so didn't get taken off the board), I imagine that the monster still stays there?

Yes the monster stays there

Quote:
I know the rules say that a sealed gate "prevents a gate or monster appearing in this location", but ones that already exist there just stay, correct? Also, monsters can move into that location, it's just that gates/monsters can't be spawned there anymore?

The ones that already exist stays there. A monster cannot move to a location (except maybe one mob that his movement is special forgot the name) since all the white and black arrows point out from the locations into the streets, never the opposite.

Quote:
2) When it comes to the cards in the game, do I just shuffle each deck once and pull the top card from the deck? When discarding do all cards just got to the bottom of the same deck or do they all have "discard piles" that would be shuffled once the deck is depleted?

You shuffle each deck once then pull the top card. When the card is used or you must choose/buy one in X amount, put the other cards always under the pile. You never make a discard pile. The only exception to this is some cards, like an elder sign, states on the card that it must be removed from the game.

Hope I told you all good info here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The encounter decks, though, are reshuffled every time you have to draw from them, so you could potentially have the same encounter in a location several times in a row.

Oh really. We never did this. So every arkham encounter deck must be reshuffled before taking a card? Dang. Still something I missed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Willems
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The encounter decks, though, are reshuffled every time you have to draw from them, so you could potentially have the same encounter in a location several times in a row.

I never bother doing this. I shuffle the cards pre-game, and as they are dealt with, they go into an overall discard pile. I don't even put items / spells to the bottom of their piles either - I stick them in the same discard pile... only time I don't do it this way is if I'm playing Ashcan Pete. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question number 1

You are playing it correctly.

But the designer of the game has suggested a few house rules - variants. One of them is that if there is any numner of monster in the same location with a gate and you manage to close the gate(sealed or no sealed) they are sucked out with the gate no matter what they're symbol is.

You don't have to do that. It's only a suggestion of the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Unsworth
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We don't reshuffle the encounter decks every time we draw a card. Personally I think it helps the story style of play if you don't risk getting the same encounter twice. I can't see that there is any significant downside to not shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ssendam wrote:
We don't reshuffle the encounter decks every time we draw a card. Personally I think it helps the story style of play if you don't risk getting the same encounter twice. I can't see that there is any significant downside to not shuffling.

The downside is that you may quickly get to a point that you know the cards - especially if you have a favorite location you continually visit. If that happens, you will know with a fair amount of certainty what is left in the draw for each location and possibly manipulate the order (by going to one of the other location in that neighborhood). It grants you the ability to game the system a bit.

But if each encounter is random, you don't know what to expect.

Play how you like, though, especially if you haven't memorized the encounter cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.