Subject: Good with Family? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard someone say here once that Space Alert would probably just stress families out, and that it was better to play with mates instead.
Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, unless your family is of the gamer nature, then yes it would stress them out. Space Alert, while it is a ton of fun, will be stressful to some people who don't like thinking fast and on their feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's true, although I can't really tell you why. It's probably due to the time pressure. The ten minutes of the planning phase are extremely intense, no possibility for chatting or drinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could work with family.

I think it is a better assumption to say it isnt generally a good family game.

People playing will make mistakes. Someone will put a left down instead of a right, or look out of a window three times instead of firing three missiles, which will invariably lead to the hilarious end of your crews' lives as an interstellar octopus crushes you to bits(But boy, it all looked REALLY cool from that window - i know from experience. ;) )

The real question is how people will take criticism. Its not fun to mess up, and as long as the players arent prone to be overly critical of those that DO mess up(because someone will), it can work.

But this could be why family would generally be a bad idea. You've already got deep-set relationships and social heirarchy going on, and it seems much easier to tick people off in that case.

That said, if your family has relatively tough skin, and can see the humor in losing, give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends mostly on the definitions for "family".
If "Family" = children 4 - 8 years old and the other part of the relationship wants to talk about other things during the game, plus some stubborn (grand-)parents are around the table expecting a "nice evening" playing Scrabble, then SPACE ALERT IS NO GOOD.
If "Family" means two or three smart kids age 10 or up, significant other with "Diplomacy" and "Galaxy Trucker" as favourite games, (grand-)parents still open for new experiences, and all family members have no problem, if the space ship blosw up beacause of one single crew members` fault ... SPACE ALERT IS GREAT!

I love to play it with my wife and son, and they like it, too.

But they also love all kinds of other "strange things" ... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, guys. I assumed this would be the case. I think this could work in the future, but I need to wean them onto it. I'll probably get another game instead. Again, thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kiehnhoff
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I taught this to my parents on Friday night and we ran through 20 missions in under 24 hours. We all had a great time with it and didn't mind the times we failed the missions due to a misstep or someone making silly mistakes because they were still learning. When we played some more on Sunday, there was a bit more tension, shouting, and underlying family issues as mentioned above since we had all become 'experienced' crew members. Overall it depends on the shape and dynamics of your family, and in the end, all you can do is give it a try and see how it works in your own family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.