Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has already been answered, but I didn't see it so anywhere...

I have the original Rio Grande edition & was just reading the rules for next week - I'm a bit confused by the text on the Further Action special card; it says:- "it allows a player to take an additional action in a turn in addition to the one action normally allowed."

Now I took this to mean that if a player makes a deal with the Tower player to go to a specific building & thus, the same player carries out an action as usual & can use a further action for another action in the building.

But then I noticed:- "A player may not, however, use this card to take the action of the same building twice on a turn."

So I am guessing this means, by default, that each player can only get one action per Tower Player turn? It doesn't seem to say this specifically anywhere in the rulebook so I'd appreciate it if someone can please confirm this.

If that is correct, assuming I have no Further Action card & I make a deal to get the Tower moved into a building, thus carrying out an action. Could I then continue to make an offer to get the Tower to be moved elsewhere (if I wish) even if I cannot carry out any more actions?

Thanks,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The bit that confuses you just means you can't use the same building, exactly what it says. So you can't bribe the tower player to give you an action in the post office, then take two actions there. Instead, you can bribe the tower player to give you a post office action, then later in the same turn bribe the tower player for an action in another building. (Or if you are the tower player you can just give yourself two actions in two different buildings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each player can normally only take one action in a turn, and may not bargain for additional actions after they have used their action. There are two exceptions: 1) the further action token and 2) bargaining for a move to the street or market (which have no actions associated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the two repliers for their answers; it sounds as though I was right in assuming each player normally only gets one action per turn.

But...

TheCat wrote:
Yes, each player can normally only take one action in a turn, and may not bargain for additional actions after they have used their action.

... while it is logical that I cannot bargain to get another action, I did ask if I could try to make a deal to the Tower player to move towards another building, even though I cannot do another action? This might arise if (a) I want to get the Tower pieces away from where an opponent wishes it to go, or (b) via a street to claim with one of my player markers to possibly use with a Building Action card.

Thanks,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
... while it is logical that I cannot bargain to get another action, I did ask if I could try to make a deal to the Tower player to move towards another building, even though I cannot do another action? This might arise if (a) I want to get the Tower pieces away from where an opponent wishes it to go, or (b) via a street to claim with one of my player markers to possibly use with a Building Action card.

You can't make an offer for a person to move to a building without taking the action in any case, but I believe it would be allowable to pay for the tower player to move to a street space after having already taken an action.

From the rules (original Rio Grande alea rules):
Quote:
Per turn, each(!) player (not just the tower player!) may take just one action

Quote:
§ 2.10: The tower player may accept an offer to move the tower to a street field. This is, of course, is never associated with an action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that sure, you can always bargain just to move the tower in a certain direction. I don't see why you can't, it would be strange if you *had* to request an action (wanted or no) when you bargain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
We always play that sure, you can always bargain just to move the tower in a certain direction. I don't see why you can't, it would be strange if you *had* to request an action (wanted or no) when you bargain.

I'm not sure what you mean... the rules do allow you to bargain to move in a particular direction, sort of, though the agreements must involve an action.

From the rules...
Quote:
The opponents may offer the tower player money and/or other goods for
moving the tower so that it eventually reaches a building that is not now
a neighboring building. Such offers are not accepted or rejected, but may
be considered by the tower player as he moves the tower.

I would guess that the reason bargaining for non-action moves is forbidden is to prevent a player with a great deal of capital from controlling the movement of the tower beyond his alotted action, thus preventing others from getting actions at all. It seems like an important rule to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teabo wrote:
wmshub wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean... the rules do allow you to bargain to move in a particular direction, sort of, though the agreements must involve an action.

From the rules...
Quote:
The opponents may offer the tower player money and/or other goods for
moving the tower so that it eventually reaches a building that is not now
a neighboring building. Such offers are not accepted or rejected, but may
be considered by the tower player as he moves the tower.

I would guess that the reason bargaining for non-action moves is forbidden is to prevent a player with a great deal of capital from controlling the movement of the tower beyond his alotted action, thus preventing others from getting actions at all. It seems like an important rule to me.

Tom, you didn't include the further text of rule 1.3, which specifies that such offers are non-binding and may be accepted or rejected by either party when the tower eventually is adjacent to the requested building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

When you bargain for a building, you must take the action in the building. Rule 1.2 states:

Quote:
the tower player moves the tower to the agreed field, and the opponent immediately takes the action allowed by the building.

You cannot pay the tower player to move to a building and then fail to take the action. A corollary is that once you have used up your action for the turn, you cannot bargain with the tower player unless you have a further action token or are bargaining for a move to a street square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
[Tom, you didn't include the further text of rule 1.3, which specifies that such offers are non-binding and may be accepted or rejected by either party when the tower eventually is adjacent to the requested building.

True, but I just figured that was inferred by this passage:

Quote:
Such offers are not accepted or rejected, but may be considered by the tower player as he moves the tower.

Didn't mean to cause any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.