Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Offers of Avalanche Press. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Enrique Escribano
msg tools
I was thinking if it was interesting to join to the one of the following offers of Avalanche Press, ¿Would you mind giving me a recomendation?, ¿which is your feeling?.

Here are the different offers:

Land War Special (June 2009)

Alamein
Island of Death
Tiger of Malaya
Red God of War

Retail Price: $289.97
YOUR Price: $200
Gold Club Price: $180

Buy it now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacific Warrior Special (June 2009)

Midway
Eastern Fleet
Leyte Gulf
Strike South
East of Suez

Retail Price: $389.95
YOUR Price: $250
Gold Club Price: $225

Buy it now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battleship Special (June 2009)

Jutland
Mediterranean
Cruiser Warfare
Dreadnoughts

Retail Price: $199.96
YOUR Price: $130
Gold Club Price: $117

Buy it now!

Rome on a Cliff Special (June 2009)

Queen of the Celts
Hannibal at Bay

Retail Price: $59.98
YOUR Price: $40
Gold Club Price: $36

Buy it now!

Western Special (May 2009)

Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge
Panzer Grenadier: Beyond Normandy
Panzer Grenadier: North Wind
Panzer Grenadier: North of Elsenborn
Panzer Grenadier: Winter Wonderland map set

Retail Price: $144.95
YOUR Price: $90
Gold Club Price: $81

Buy it now!

Southern Special (May 2009)

Panzer Grenadier: Cassino '44
Panzer Grenadier: Afrika Korps
Panzer Grenadier: Desert Rats
Panzer Grenadier: South Africa's War

Retail Price: $247.96
YOUR Price: $150
Gold Club Price: $135

Buy it now!

Eastern Special (May 2009)

Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front
Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin
Panzer Grenadier: Sinister Forces
Panzer Grenadier: Front Russo
Panzer Grenadier: White Eagles
Panzer Grenadier: Arctic Front Deluxe Edition
Panzer Grenadier: First Axis
Panzer Grenadier: Blue Division
Panzer Grenadier: Red Warriors
Panzer Grenadier: March on Leningrad
Panzer Grenadier: Siege of Leningrad
Panzer Grenadier: Romanian Soil
Panzer Grenadier: Army Group South Ukraine
Panzer Grenadier: Panzer Lion

Retail Price: $362.86

Buy it now!

Early Eastern Special (May 2009)

Retail Price: $169.94
YOUR Price: $100
Gold Club Price: $90

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your interests, I would imagine. And budget.

The Panzer Grenadier Series is certainly their most popular line, but if you aren't into WW2 land warfare, will strike quite a hollow note, won't it?

Most of the PzG sets listed only have 2 or 3 'boxed' games, and buckets, and buckets, of scenario books. Not saying they aren't good deals - indeed, they are GREAT deals - but if you aren't into the game itself, then another 100+ scenarios for it won't help you.

I'll comment on a couple, specifically:

Quote:
Western Special (May 2009)

Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge
Panzer Grenadier: Beyond Normandy
Panzer Grenadier: North Wind
Panzer Grenadier: North of Elsenborn
Panzer Grenadier: Winter Wonderland map set

Retail Price: $144.95
YOUR Price: $90
Gold Club Price: $81

...here, the boxed games are Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge (easily one of APL's best games to date, and covers sections of the always-interesting-to-Americans 'Battle of the Bulge'). Especially worthwhile with the 'Winter Wonderland' maps for it...which are included, here.

As a comparison...stock maps:

...is this the 'Bulge'? Really?

...ah, this looks more like it.

BUT...the 'stock' maps make great sense for fall scenarios in the various scenario books.

The only real problem with THIS set is that the other boxed game included - Panzer Grenadier: Beyond Normandy - is rather a slog. As the operations covered were, of course, but...it's not much fun. LOTS of grinding assaults, over historical terrain (which is nice), but the maps in it were too big for my table, and the hedgerow-to-hedgerow combat (at the platoon level, meaning all forces from both sides are typically in the same hex in 'assault' combat when fighting) is just too slow paced. And the scenario books included? Well, you can't play most the scenarios in them without other products. The scenario books draw counters and maps from other games, and not enough are included here to make the scenarios workable. This is a fine package if you already have a bunch of their games, but it's not a good 'starter'.

Quote:
Southern Special (May 2009)

Panzer Grenadier: Cassino '44
Panzer Grenadier: Afrika Korps
Panzer Grenadier: Desert Rats
Panzer Grenadier: South Africa's War

Retail Price: $247.96
YOUR Price: $150
Gold Club Price: $135

...this one is a better 'set' choice, but it's heavily desert themed. And all Italy. Panzer Grenadier: Cassino '44, Gateway to Rome, Panzer Grenadier: Afrika Korps, and Panzer Grenadier: Desert Rats are all 'boxed' games and probably 3/4 of the scenarios in the scenario book Panzer Grenadier: South Africa's War are fully playable with just the two Africa-theater games in this set. 'Cassino' is a monster. No other way to put that. It's HUGE. The maps are ENORMOUS. 'Actual terrain' maps from the battle (they look very 'Google Earth'-like, as you can see with the pics here on BGG). And, IIRC, over a thousand counters. I want it, myself, but I'll never be able to clip all those counters. wow

Quote:
Eastern Special (May 2009)

Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin
Panzer Grenadier: Sinister Forces
Panzer Grenadier: Front Russo
Panzer Grenadier: Blue Division
Panzer Grenadier: Red Warriors
Panzer Grenadier: Romanian Soil
Panzer Grenadier: Army Group South Ukraine
Panzer Grenadier: Panzer Lion

Retail Price: $362.86

This is probably the best deal. Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front and Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin are the 'boxed' games in this one, and really the 'core' of the series. All the rest are scenario books (many with their own counters) or PDF downloads - and I believe (offhand, without checking), that most the scenarios in these will be playable with what you are buying. Each book tends to run with ~20 or so scenarios (average), so you are probably looking at (with the boxed games), something like 300 or so playable scenarios on the Eastern Front covering most of the war. (The larger armor battles at Kursk being left for a later game - Panzer Grenadier: Kursk – South Flank - but almost everything else, from the beginning to the end, is covered here. Including the Finnish wars.)

----------------

ANYWAY, I'd say if you just wanted to 'dip your toes' into the PzG series, the best thing to get is just 'Elsenborn Ridge' (maybe with the 'Winter Wonderland' maps), and be done with that. See what you think, and make decisions from there.

If you've already done the demo thing, and decide you really love the series (not hard to get there!), and are a HUGE fan of the Eastern Front, then maybe the 'Eastern Special' is your game. The 'Early Eastern' isn't bad, but, honestly, if just starting out and interested in that front and period, I'd simply buy Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front. The other scenario books in this set are nice touches, but don't add a LOT (specifically, the early SS blunderings, the Polish campaign, and the Slovakian involvement in the war). Most of the gee-whiz-cool tanks, infantry weapons, aircraft, and artillery don't show up until later in the war (the product Panzer Grenadier: Road to Berlin brings the greatest majority of these - Panthers, Tiger IIs, Hetzers, Soviet T-34/85s, etc)

The other sets are very much theme specific.

Quote:
Pacific Warrior Special (June 2009)

Midway
Eastern Fleet
Leyte Gulf
Strike South
East of Suez

Retail Price: $389.95
YOUR Price: $250
Gold Club Price: $225

...this is WW2-Pacific in a box.

Quote:
Battleship Special (June 2009)

Jutland
Mediterranean
Cruiser Warfare
Dreadnoughts

Retail Price: $199.96
YOUR Price: $130
Gold Club Price: $117

...this is WW1 in a box.

etc.

For 'dipping your toes' into those series, though, I'd instead recommend:
WW2 naval battles: Arctic Convoy: Naval Warfare in the Far North, 1941-1943
WW1(-ish) naval battles: Great War at Sea: U.S. Navy Plan Gold (it's hypothetical, but a much more manageable, smaller, scale)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seriously been looking at the Eastern Special, since I am interested in the Romanian Soil set of senarios, however; I have not yet bitten. The reason, if you look at Avalanche Press' requirements to play Romanian Soil it includes Battle of the Bluge and Elsen Born Ridge to play, both of which are not included in the Eastern Special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
I have seriously been looking at the Eastern Special, since I am interested in the Romanian Soil set of senarios, however; I have not yet bitten. The reason, if you look at Avalanche Press' requirements to play Romanian Soil it includes Battle of the Bluge and Elsen Born Ridge to play, both of which are not included in the Eastern Special.

That's true. 'Romanian Soil' also requires 'Red Warriors' for most scenarios (which is, at least, included in this set). However, 'Bulge' is required for 3 of them (not the FULL 'Bulge', actually - just the maps from it, which are available separately as the 'Woods and Hills' map pack), however 'Elsenborn' is required for 8 of the scenarios in it.

You'd still have 2 scenarios you could play with just the set purchased, though. And, if buying JUST 'Elsenborn' in addition to this set (IE., not bothering with 'Bulge' or the 'Woods and Hills' maps pack), you'd then be able to play 7 of the 10 with the games in this pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Enrique Escribano
msg tools
However there is a lot of Negative comments against Avalanche&Press, Games without testinhing, without on-line support. No good communication, poor value added... what do you thinhk?, do you suggest any specific game of this publisher?.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, for me it comes down to the fact that they are one of the two companies that puts out an Eastern front game that includes Romanian troops. I know that there are those who are vocal about their dislike of Avalanche Press, but at the end of the day it is about if you like their games or not. Unfortunately, that is the sticking point at the moment, there is no one that I know in my area that has Panzer Grenadier so I have not been able to try it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:

The Definitive Panzer Grenadier List - all those expansions explained!

Homero930 wrote:
However there is a lot of Negative comments against Avalanche&Press, Games without testinhing, without on-line support. No good communication, poor value added... what do you thinhk?, do you suggest any specific game of this publisher?.

Thanks,

I believe your concerns have been addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.