Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!
I was wondering about your advice when it comes to convincing a resistant gamer to try CC:E again. We have in the past played around 3 or 4 games, but as of lately its stuck on my gaming shelf! I myself really enjoy the game, I like the whole dynamic of having everything you need on the cards, events, dice rolls etc. but this a feature that my gaming partner (my younger brother) really doesn't like. He complains that he never gets the cards he wants, and that when he wants to discard his whole hand, he's penalised for it. He also claims that CC:E is all about "sitting in buildings" and "not moving"- I know this is not true! You can be very mobile in the game, setting up smoke screens and so on. I guess personal taste has a lot to do with it- I really don't like Tide Of Iron, which I find to have unbalanced scenarios. Are there any tips I can learn from more veteran gamers as to how I can convince him to get playing again- any ideas on how to keep the game mobile and fresh.
Thanks all!
Ewan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Hi all!
I was wondering about your advice when it comes to convincing a resistant gamer to try CC:E again. We have in the past played around 3 or 4 games, but as of lately its stuck on my gaming shelf! I myself really enjoy the game, I like the whole dynamic of having everything you need on the cards, events, dice rolls etc. but this a feature that my gaming partner (my younger brother) really doesn't like. He complains that he never gets the cards he wants, and that when he wants to discard his whole hand, he's penalised for it. He also claims that CC:E is all about "sitting in buildings" and "not moving"- I know this is not true! You can be very mobile in the game, setting up smoke screens and so on. I guess personal taste has a lot to do with it- I really don't like Tide Of Iron, which I find to have unbalanced scenarios. Are there any tips I can learn from more veteran gamers as to how I can convince him to get playing again- any ideas on how to keep the game mobile and fresh.
Thanks all!
Ewan

Tell him if he doesn't start enjoying the game you are going to run upstairs and fart on his pillow. Trust me, it got my younger brother to do all kinds of things. (but I still farted on his pillow)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I ask how old you are and how old your brother is? It may just be an age thing. CC:E is a tough pill to swallow with its random elements. Lots of younger players want to be able to move all their "guys" and shoot with all their "guys". In that case, ToI probably appeals to younger players more than CC:E.

So, how old are you fellas?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 24, and my brother is 22, but he doesn't like the random elements! I think in one battle I got reinforcements, and an engineer popped up behind him with a demo pack, he really felt aggrieved at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Reinforcements (E68) would pop up on your map edge. So I am guessing it was either Infiltration or Hidden Unit that popped the Engineer unit.

Infiltration (E59) pops up units in or adjacent to a random hex - but only serve to point out that the front is rarely a defined line in the sand. (And reminds us of the quote under A33: No plan of battle ever survives contact with the enemy.)

Hidden Unit (A35.4) is an action play by a scenario defender - so is something both sides can be prepared for. The opponent (for example) by not discarding (the prerequisite to play Hidden Unit).

Edit
And just maybe this isn't the game for you and your brother to play. Some folks see the random events and card management as part of the overall ebb and flow of the battle while you try to fight your small piece of the battlefield. Others wish to have more complete control. As much as I enjoy CC, I would rather play a willing opponent than to try to convert someone who might be interested in something else. There are plenty of CC opponents available via Vassal (online) that you might be able to tap into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your responses! I think that it was infiltration that popped up the engineer right next to his units. Would you guys recommend Conflict Of Heroes as an alternative for him to play? I haven't tried that as of yet- also maybe I can find other opponents who would be willing to play CC:E, that online option sounds good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might set up a rotation, playing the game he likes one time and CC the next. Once he gets a few helpful CC events, he may come around.

But if he is as much a weenie as he sounds, he will just winge and complain all through CC and ruin your enjoyment of it.

Might be worth a try.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the old-fashioned method, bribe him! Works everytime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forget the bribes, forget the rotation thing. You're the older brother, sneak up on him, put in a headlock or a Full Nelson devil and then repeat "Ya gonna play CC Now? HUH! I can't hear you!" over and over while applying the pressure. Sooner or later he'll give in gulp and say "Yes". Of course make sure your parents aren't around or he might run to mommy cry and tell on you and then you get the whoopping. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Thanks for your responses! I think that it was infiltration that popped up the engineer right next to his units. Would you guys recommend Conflict Of Heroes as an alternative for him to play? I haven't tried that as of yet- also maybe I can find other opponents who would be willing to play CC:E, that online option sounds good to me.

Buy Conflict of Heroes : you won't regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there three of Mallet's posts here? Itchy finger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Must have had 3 Fire cards in hand and got excited that he could finally shoot at the advancing hordes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Greasy
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try something else and see it his way for a while... ASL is likley more to your brother's taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously - if he doesn't like it, play something else with him. The point of playing games is enjoyment and entertainment. If he's not getting that, try another game.

Or maybe he really just wants his own copy to play with. Buy it for him for Christmas! whistle

Edited for stinkin' typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.