Subject: The Pyramids: Are they that Great? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Let's look at the Pyramids. They cost 3-2-1 to build, and give an extra CA for the rest of the game. No other benefits. That means two turns after you build the Pyramids, you have broken even in civil actions, but still have spent 6 resources. Every wonder you build from now on will cost an extra CA.

Are the Pyramids worth it? DEFINITELY YES.
The Pyramids are THE BEST Age A wonder. Yes, the Hanging Gardens are good, but they don't give an immediate benefit all the time like the Pyramids.

So you have the Pyramids, how early do you finish them? In a three or four player game, I like to build a mine turn one and lab turn two. That leaves you needing three additional resource to get it done on the third nondrafting turn, and this probably will not happen without an engineering genius or some lucky events. Fine, start the first stage and wait and see what happens. I find this is superior to building a second mine as it leads to population and corruption problems.

Now how do you use the extra CA? Grab good cards from the 2CA and sometimes even the 3CA row! Get that early iron, alchemy, and irrigation (that order is my priority, but it may change due to your own game). If you got hosed on leaders to grab the Pyramids and settled for Hammurabi, pay 2CA for Columbus.

Do you need to get another CA through blue technology? I would rather pay 2 less science for a MA and a strength point.

But the Pyramids only give you a CA and no other benefit you say. Well, one CA for the rest of the game is like saying one of the later wonders only gives you five discount off a population without spending a CA for the rest of the game. Plus the Pyramids are in play so early.

Hint: Always take the Pyramids over ANY Age A leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
meyerg wrote:

Hint: Always take the Pyramids over ANY Age A leader.

Except Moses. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Willis
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
How early do you finish the Pyramids? My question exactly.

I have played Through the Ages four times and have read several strategy articles. You suggest we complete the Pyramids in the 3rd postdraft turn after building two bronze mines during postdraft turns 1 and 2. In a similar vein, in Planning the Opening: Turns 0-2, Alexfrog finds that "You should work to complete the Pyramids on [postdraft] turn 3 (or potentially turn 2 if you get a bonus rock event [as well as] Engineering Genius)." Eyhung suggests something else in The Econo-Military Strategy, under Wonders of the World, PYRAMIDS: "You can almost always get [the Pyramids] down by turn 5 if you build a mine on turn 2 (I prefer to build a 2nd lab on turn 3)."

How badly does early building of the Pyramids affect the fluidity of later Age I play? In particular, it commits to generating just a single science point for an extra couple turns, does it not? Is completing the Pyramids as early as possible worth that sacrifice? Is it really better to complete the Pyramids on postdraft turn 2/3, or should we first build the 2nd lab?

If you feel up to it, I would benefit from an Alexfrog-style enumeration of actions during turns 0-3 assuming you've taken the Pyramids during the draft turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that finishing the Pyramids early is good. I don't think they need to be completed by turn 3, but mine are usually done by turn 4.

One thing I like about the Hanging Gardens is that they are so great, yet not time sensitive. Lately, I have been putting them off as long as possible. Unless you really need the happiness immediately, I find that I can often wait until near the end of Age I.

I don't agree with building a 4th Bronze mine on turn 2 as the OP mentions. That is just setting yourself up for corruption and wasting resources that could be better spend on a wonder or a lab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on the fourth mine. Don't go there - three is enough - get iron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have changed the original post. I think the 4th mine works for the hanging gardens, but not the Pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Hung
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, my terminology is that the draft is turn 1, and the first "real turn" is turn 2. So the Pyramids by my turn 5 is Alexfrog's turn 4. And I was specifying that this was a worst-case scenario. With all the A events and 3 mines from the first real turn, it's rare that I can't get the Pyramids finished by Alexfrog turn 4, but I try and shoot for Alexfrog turn 3 as well. If for some fortunate reason I can build the pyramids before my second lab on Alexfrog turn 2, I will do so -- 1 CA > 1 science.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.