J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
We need to figure this one out, and get a couple images, so we can add it to the BGG database.

I am not sure of the magazine (and that would be cool to know too), it was a small-format (maybe 4"x9"?) black and white 'zine with maybe a red cover. Was not a big-name magazine, but I remember it was in the hobby/game shop alongside S&T and The General and maybe Wargames Illustrated. Remember stuff (correctly or not) like adds for Torgau and a vague memory of a GHQ micro-armor add with a cartoon picture of Hitler saying something akin to "All I Want for Christmas is a Panzer Division" while wringing his hands.

The game itself... a map with three large hexes, and little path through mountains connecting the two end hexes. There were a handful of real strong looking Greek counters with superb combat factors and a literal horde of Persian counters. I forget how gosh-awful many you could "stack" (with room to lay them out) inside a single large hex. But the shtick was while the Persians pounded away at the phalanx, at some point they began making die rolls to see if they are shown the little pass. Once they are shown the pass they come behind and the game if not literally over is pretty much a mop up.

Now, it does not sound terribly exciting I know, and I am not suggesting this is one of the better games on the subject to be designed or anything (although really, is there much else at the tactical level to say?) but it is one of those childhood memories and one which we do not have in the database. Plus I remember the magazine being kind of a cool little low-budget game magazine. For instance they also had (I think it was them) an inane game about a POW escape called something like "Fur you, ze war is over!".

So if you are an old grog whose memory is in better shape than mine or if you have come across this drop a note.

Bonus points for magazine name, issue number/date, pictures, good wargame stories from the early-mid 70's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember it, I should bug my dad to dig out his issues (I hope he still has them). It was strictly a wargaming fan 'zine, and had a joke 'game' in each issue. The two I remember are that one, and one on the German reoccupation of the Rhineland in the '30s. Four hexes, one counter; the object is to send the German division into the Rhineland. When you do, you roll a die and consult the results table—on a 1-5, nothing happens and you win, on a 6 a French unit accidentally fires a field piece and you have to retreat....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It was in the fourth and last issue of La Vivandière. Issue #2 had the Rhineland "game," and issue #3 had one on the Battle of the Crater. Issue #1 did not have a joke game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
tool wrote:
It was in the fourth and last issue of La Vivandière. Issue #2 had the Rhineland "game," and issue #3 had one on the Battle of the Crater. Issue #1 did not have a joke game.

Okay, now that I have that info, a google finds slews of hits with a listing under Gary Gygax articles...
La Vivandiere (Palikar Publications) – defunct wargaming magazine, contributing author (1974), significant contributions include "Fantasy Wargaming and the Influence of J.R.R. Tolkien", in which he defends D&D's inclusion of non-Tolkien fantasy into the game.

Just to add to the picture.

and... I have to admit... I did not realize in 35 years that the game was a joke! gulp blush shake (although in my defense this was the only issue I ever saw)

and btw, Dan, you are friggin' amazin'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
That games sounds like the attrocious dice-fest of Masada. My copy is in one of the Panzershreck magazines... hang on... #12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Owens
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's my sole issue of "La Vivandiere" magazine (Vol1, #4).
I was much amused by the Thermopylae game. I loaned the issue to various friends for purposes of reading the 'ground pressure' article with regard to tracked armored vehicles (German narrow tracks, bad in soft ground, are better on sand) and the article on the influence of J.R.R. Tolkien.

It was only many, many, many years later, in the age of photocopy at home, that I realized one of my so-called friends was a scumbag.

One of them had taken a razor and cut the Thermopylae game out of the center of the magazine. There was now nothing to photocopy.

Soo...If anyone has those center pages of the out-of-print, sold-out magazine who could produce the scans for these few pages, I'd be much obliged. I was going to share it with my son and discovered the absence with a certain amount of anger, bitterness, and a string of four letter Anglo-Saxon pejoratives which would have given saintly old ladies like my Mother a cardiac arrest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.