BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: How To Print & Play (PnP) Stratego With Inkscape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Well I created a script to make custom Stratego game pieces, only to stumble onto another existing and developed script (with a wider range of features than my own, I might add), that could be used for this purpose.

So I created a tutorial on how to use the existing script (I Boardgames Extensions) and my template csv/svg combo to make your own Stratego boards and pieces

tutorial http://1792coins.com/?p=712

Enjoy

matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great tutorial Matt! Unfortunately when I tried to generate the countersheet my script crashed, but that is probably just some bug I have introduced since the last released version (in that case: thanks for finding that for me ).

It seems like you could make the CSV file a bit easier by doing single-sided counters rather than putting the red ones on the back of the blue ones. Just removing the BACK column and moving everything to the right of it down to below the blue counters (with a blank row to separate them) should do the trick.

The template could have been somewhat simplified by splitting it up into three different parts, for the blue and red backgrounds and then the other stuff, or you could even define the background color in the CSV file. What you did might be the simplest thing to put in a newbie tutorial though, to not make things too confusing.

The images don't really have to be 56x56. They need to be square to keep the correct aspect ratio. If you use images of higher resolution (say 300x300) they will look better if you scale up the SVG or print at a higher resolution. The size of the image as shown in Inkscape (the physical area it occupies) is set for the image object and does not depend on the size of the actual image file used (see the Image Properties dialog for instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for writing the scripts...they're coming in really handy in making print and play games

I originally tried to have the red cards and blue cards in the same columns in the csv, however Inkscape 0.46 won't allow you to tag 2 items with the same object id...so for example if you did that, they would all print out blue or all print out red...

...unless...I took your next suggestion to set the fill colors within the csv...but honestly it's late and I haven't thought through how to do that yet...so if you want to continue to save me some work (lol) send me a suggestion on how to accomplish that with your script...thanks

As far as the images not needing to be 56x56 specifically, you're right, but in order to keep the files small and still have good resolution on a standard us letter sized page it was about as small as I could get it

Thanks again for all your hard work to create these script for all of those lazy bums, like myself, out here who use them.

matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Perry
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
updated link

matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.