Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really getting into Memoir '44 and I'm really enjoying it! So far though I've only played with 2 players since I only had 1 base game. But I recently had a chance to pick up another copy of the base game and decided to dive in...

Well, life goes on and I have not had a chance to play it again YET. I want to introduce 4 player Memoir to my gaming buddies and I'm wondering just how well Memoir plays with 2 on each side... Every once in a while we may have more than 4 people to play it, but more often than not, there will just be the 4 of us.

So, can I get some input as to how Memoir '44 plays with 4 people playing?

On a related note, I've seen the posts about the Operation Overlord expansion, but I'm really hesitant to get it since I now already own 2 full copies of the base game. But I keep reading about how much better the cards are that come with the expansion, that those particular cards make playing Overlord a lot easier. So, is the expansion worth buying just for those re-vamped cards? I'd like to hear from some folks who've played the Overlord games using 2 full base games and NOT using the newer cards from the expansion...and some input from "the other side" as well.

Thanks for any and all input,
jrbentley

P.S. What seems to be the prevailing opinion on the Campaign Bag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has played M'44 with four (and even five) a number of times and found it great fun. One player plays the flanks, the other plays the center sector and is overall commander. The team considers its cards and picks the one they want, and if there is a disagreement, the center commander makes the final choice. Since we usually play multiple scenarios of M'44 due to its short play time, teams generally switch roles (flank/center and overall commander) between scenarios. It works fine for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played it with four exactly the way Leo describes and it's always worked well for us. We can often play all four positions (Allied flank, Allied centre, Axis flank and Axis centre) in one go because of how fast the game plays and rarely get into that "always losing" funk when one side has an advantage. Very fun back and forths (OK, tauntings) when playing with this many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input...I'm really anxious to get a 4-player game going with my buddies soon...

Concerning the Overlord expansion, does no one have any input on the worth of the re-vamped expansion cards vs. the original cards that I already have in the 2 base games I now own...? Is it worth getting just for the cards? Do they make play that much easier or that much more fun?

Thanks!
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.