United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure where to post this question so I tried posting the same question in carcassonne city forums. Hoping to get more feedback here since I still have time before i make my purchase..

I'd like to add some depth and more fun to Carcassonne base game and I've read on here that inns/cathedrals and traders/builders are a must..

I've also read that carcassonne city is one of the best of the carc series to date...

So I am considering three options..

1. Get Carcassonne City

2. Get Carcassonne expansions listed above

3. Get a different game

Also.. as a side question... if i were to get traders/builders somehow (As an example: a friend decides to give it to me in the future).. should I also pick up inns/cathedrals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
This is only one person's opinion but the best expansion is: Inn's & cathederals... my family was never all that fond of traders & builders but that's a matter of preference. Our main carcassonne set came with the river expansion which is fine but we ALWAYS use the Inns/cathedrl expansion when playing carc now.

Our second favorite is "Hunters & Gatherers" which really has some great improvements to the game but is not an expansion but sort of a new version of Carcassonne.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say combine option #2 and #3. Get Inns 'n Cathedrals -- it's pretty much essential.

Then, since Carc expansions are cheapish, get a whole 'nother game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played T&B, but always felt Inns and Cathedrals was nearly essential to balance out the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get both expansion. In addition to what was already mentioned, T&B is nice because it gives you a benefit to closing someone else's city, plus the Builder allows you to take an extra turn. Those combined with I&C is a nice combination, plus a good variety of tiles to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend getting Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders. I think those are definitely the two best expansions for Carcassonne, and better than getting any of the standalone versions (having played the City, Hunters & Gatherers, and the Castle). My reasons are explained in this article I wrote a while back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the two expansions. I think that those expansions make the original Carcassonne better than the City, which I also own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nod for both expansions. They are very necessary in my opinion. The other expansions don't add the level of goodness that I/C and T/B brings to base Carc.

The other expansions just give more tiles.... which can be good initially, but then all of a sudden you want to trim the tile count down because the game gets to long with several players and all the tiles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If You like Carcassonne and have people that like it - and its a great game, one of the all time classics - why not go for variety with the big box:

a) cheaper than buying everything piecemeal
b) You can give the base set to somebody who will appreciate it like parents or nephews
c) You can play with everything at once or mix in different expansions:
ca) IC is almost essential as it really gives the game that extra touch and the extra tiles that You might have missed in the base game
cb) the dragon is so cute and liked by children
cd) the count looks nice as a starting point
d) and best of all everything is marked and can be sorted in and out quickly.

Very impressive size too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having got almost all the expansions I'd say T&B + I&C are the best of the "big" expansions. The dragon, Tower and Catapult can safely be left out, unless you really want things to get nasty( and much longer )

River 2 and King & Scout are also nice small add ons if you want them. The Count makes scoring more complex ( and longer )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Inns & Cathedrals is a good expansion. You could also go for The Discovery, which is a rather nice variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BAYLEYAW wrote:
Having got almost all the expansions I'd say T&B + I&C are the best of the "big" expansions. The dragon, Tower and Catapult can safely be left out, unless you really want things to get nasty( and much longer )

River 2 and King & Scout are also nice small add ons if you want them. The Count makes scoring more complex ( and longer )

But this means big box as it has all of these except the Catapult...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have I/C and T/B which we always include with the base because it's too much of a hassle to sort them out. It makes the game go just a tad longer than I'd like, but it's Carc, so it's okay anyway.

I used to like Carc City more than Carc base alone. Now it's a toss up.

BTW, we never use the River with the base. It just never seemed necessary to us and too arbitrary a start to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have just about all of the expansions. I/C and T/B are our favorite. Abbey and Manor would be our 3rd. We play with all 3 expansions every time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: King & Scout. Then you have all the tiles you need. The other expansions are fine as well, with the glaring exception of Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult, which should be avoided.

If you want a spin-off, I would recommend Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers if you want more of the same but better, Carcassonne: The Discovery if you want hard decisions and Carcassonne: The City if you want elegance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The catapult brings a nice new flavour to the game and a mechanic never seen before in Carcassonne. If You have children You should definitely look into it, if You know other people it may be worth a look too just for the variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think both I&C and T&B are very good expansions for Carc and honestly the only two expansions you should get... any more and I think it becomes subtraction by addition. Additional expansions simply make the game last longer and gets away from the simple quick playing game which Carc wants to be.

At this stage though I'd probably just as soon get another game if I were you. Carc is better I feel with those 2 expansions... but trying out some great new games is more better.

Lots of great games to look at:

Puerto Rico
Power Grid
Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
Tigris & Euphrates
Pandemic
El Grande
Ra
Ticket to Ride
The Princes of Florence
Stone Age
San Juan
Samurai
Citadels
Ingenious
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Galaxy Trucker
Modern Art
Small World
Saint Petersburg
Tikal
Shadows over Camelot
The Pillars of the Earth
Bohnanza

Those are just a few great ones to try out if you have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest that, at the very least, you get Inns & Cathedrals. I have Carc, I&C and several of the mini expansions. After buying those, I bought a slew of other games. I still love Carc, but knowing I have other options and won't risk burning out on Carc makes me happy. And I know it's sitting right up in the closet waiting patiently for the next round, which is always right around the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get I&C. It's almost essential to have for Carcassonne. I wouldn't buy T&B straight off though, some of the rules make it a lot more complex. I do like Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon though - it is simple but adds a new level of challenge to the game. Very fun too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll throw in a vote for Carcassone: The City. I actually disliked the original Carcassone and gave it away, but ended up buying Carc: The City and thoroughly enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for The Princess & the Dragon -- gives some "bite" and opportunity for sound effects to the game . >;-) Assuming, of course, you have more than 3 players (otherwise it's just madness).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes to either just getting I&C, or to getting some other games, like Medici, Modern Art, Alhambra etc.

It all depends who you're going to be playing with. In my case I have a large number of non-gamer friends who occasionally will like to play a light game which doesn't take too long. There are very few games as good as Carcassonne for this type of group. I&C adds some extra tiles for when you have more players, and helps prevent an uber-farm (all cities fed by one enormous farm) which can arise with the basic tiles.

The other expansions for the base game are good enough in their way, but move Carcassonne out of it's niche and into gamer territory. This is fine if that's what you want, but personally I prefer to keep Carcassone for my non gamer friends and buy other games for those players who are comfortable with more rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of expansions, but the base set of Carc just feels like it needs a little something extra to make the game meaty. I&C seems to be by far the most popular, but warned that getting too deep into the expansion addiction can lead to very long complicated games. I would suggest that and perhaps Carcassonne: Cult, Siege and Creativity as a small add-on as it really helps the "person with the most cloisters or big cities wins" problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for base Carcassonne and expansions. While the city has that interesting wall mechanism, I like the look of the original tiles better. Just personal taste, I know, but to me it just has more visual appeal.

My group ALWAYS plays with both Inns & Cathedrals AND Traders & Builders.

If you're going to go that route (or are considering City) then also have a look at Big Box 2, which, for the same price as either aforementioned option, gives you...

Contents:
Carcassonne
Inns & Cathedrals
Traders & Builders
Princess & Dragon
Abbey & Mayor
River II
Count, King and, Cult

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view...

Again, I wouldn't recommend playing with ALL the expansions at once. Mixing up the combination of what you DO play with occasionally can add some spice and variety.

My favorite combo thus far: Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, Abbey & Mayor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.