Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Old issues of Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
I see both of these mags now offer CD's of all the real old back issues.

And my memory fails me yet again...

One of these (maybe both actually) I used to see at a few hobby shops all the time, and bought a few issues 30-35 years ago or so. But the one I am thinking of used to have a column where it presented you with a tactical situation expressed as a miniature wargame vignette, and the reader was to devise a plan to solve the tactical scenario. You could then read, I think the next issue, what a fool you were and what the suggested way of dealing with the situation was.

It also had at least one, sometimes more, historical battle articles every issue which presented the history of the battle and a wargame in miniature of the battle with photos.

But I am sure these mags have both changed extensively over the years and I can not recall which of them it was that used to tease me from the shelves of the hobby/game store.

Any idea?

Also I see the back-issue CD's listed for sale on the respective websites but there is no index for either magazine of feature articles by issue number or anything. Anyone know where such can be found?

Sorry, for me this is remarkably similar to delving through 35-year-old issues of Strategy & Tactics, which I am sure most of you can understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishBouzouki wrote:
But the one I am thinking of used to have a column where it presented you with a tactical situation expressed as a miniature wargame vignette, and the reader was to devise a plan to solve the tactical scenario. You could then read, I think the next issue, what a fool you were and what the suggested way of dealing with the situation was.

This sounds like what they do in Armchair General magazine.

IrishBouzouki wrote:
Also I see the back-issue CD's listed for sale on the respective websites but there is no index for either magazine of feature articles by issue number or anything. Anyone know where such can be found?

The website for Wargames Illustrated has a listing of what's in each issue listed on their website, as you can order individual back issues over there. You have to wade through them issue by issue, which I grant you isn't fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What, no interest in the old International Wargamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>But the one I am thinking of used to have a column where it presented you with a tactical situation expressed as a miniature wargame vignette,
>

By Charles Grant?

"Tabletop Teaser?"

There were a number of British wargaming magazines in the '70s; I can't put my hand on the one with his column...

I'm thinking it might even have been in The Courier at one point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Westmore
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tabletop teasers (from military modelling) are here
http://steve-the-wargamer-teasers.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
Condompete wrote:
tabletop teasers (from military modelling) are here
http://steve-the-wargamer-teasers.blogspot.com/

Same general idea but I do not think that is the same article series of which I am thinking.

For one thing this would have pre-dated '78-'80 and been more like '73-'76 or so. For another these articles included pictures of the terrain setup and often of the initial forces (at least those which are spotted) then the solution article would have a picture of the situation at some point during the played-out solution.

And I really do think for some reason it was either Miniature Wargames or Wargames Illustrated. Nothing against any other 'zines just those are the two that have stuck in my memory from my childhood.

However... always interesting to see Charles Grant articles anyhow. Actually it looks like his scenarios are little higher quality than what I am thinking of anyhow, which is not really surprising given his considerable talents.

EDIT - I can not seem to bring up the page at WargamesIllustrated.net with the article index for back-issues. But I am also thinking I may have my decades confused re magazines as I am not sure WI was published back in the era I am thinking of, 1973-1976 or so? Funny because I was thinking it was more likely to be WI than MW. I remember MW more for nice pictures and descriptions of miniatures battle refights. I have this vague memory of WI at the time having a more cursive-ish title on the cover, which was generally 1 color background with white text maybe and then a B&W photo. Most maybe all of the photos in the mag were B&W. Does that sound like a possible WI mag from the 70's if such a beast even existed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.