Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So, it is our regular 4-player face to face game. I get the first player, so I take the Pyramids. Next is Moses and a frugal, then Aristotle and a lab discount, followed by the leaderless empire. They just insisted on being efficient.

In the first nondraft turn I grab Alexander for 2 CA. Moses gets out to an early population lead and builds 2 knights and 2 warriors with the tactics card that rewards these two sets for two bonuses of 2. Aristotle gets out three swordsmen and a legion. I go for the cheesy fighting bands of legions. The bottom line is we all pound the leaderless empire mercilessly. We burn buildings, steal people, and the events are even more nasty. Moses gets an extra yellow token from the leaderless empire. You would think we would feel guilty, but when you need those three extra resources, who are you going after? The soft, leaderless empire of course!

The poor leaderless empire has no wonder, and have rebuilt their alchemy labs so many times they truly think they are going to stay. The second age starts and they have managed to crown a king, develop alchemy and iron, and stockpile some science. Aristotle now Columbus completes the transcontinental railroad and decides to play a war over resources to clean out the now Napoleonic empire before they can get going.

Well, Napoleon burns his three alchemy labs (I guess he wanted to beat Colombus to it) develops riflemen, the tactics card that gives a 9 bonus for two foot soldiers and two horseman, and build up to 2 riflemen and two knights. The one side victory for Colombus turns into a one=side defeat and all that coal developed by the transcontinental railroad goes to Nappy. Napoleon actually generates no science for three successive turns. He robs Colombus of all his resources and builds the ocean liners. Then Napoleon uses a nice yellow colony to start pumping out more people and has four knights, four riflemen and declares a war on territory with my civilization. The previous beatings we administer are not as bad as the one sound defeat when he cleans me out of my yellow tokens and proceeds to declare a war on culture and take all of Mr. Cook's (he followed after Colombus) culture. Mr. Robispiere had taken over for Moses, and was the last one hammered into the ground by the Napoleonic juggernaut. He almost had Churchill in place to do some good before he was assassinated and then hammered by Napoleon.

So, we have a rare come from way behind win in TTA! Rick craftily kept plugging and stockpiled his aggressions and grabbed Napoleon from the 3 CA spot when he popped up. Alchemy, warfare, knights, riflemen and iron were the few techs he needed to fuel his war machine. Drawing a few more good wars didn't hurt either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not commenting directly on this session, but I have repeatedly witnessed big comebacks in this game. It's at the point where I just assume that whoever is winning halfway through the game will undoubtedly lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
It is possible to come from way back

Anything's possible if you're playing against people who will declare a war against a player holding Napoleon, 4 military actions, and multiple military techs. Heck, they're doing half the work for you by declaring the war themselves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game I have won was from being in last place before the final end game tally points were added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. The scenario you describe is not even close to a guaranteed win. I have seen people win from a 50 point deficit in the last half of the third age and still come back to win, even without any aggressions/wars. I personally had one game where I thought there was no possible way I could win and I almost resigned, only to come back and win.

One thing I have learned is that it is anyone's game up until you reveal the final third age scoring events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad situations can be a little more harsh in two-player since the game is zero-sum. Probably half of my plays have been two-player and I have retired from it, as I now exclusively play three or four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.