Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased this game and also, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords. We are either going to play this or A Storm of Swords tomorrow. There are 4 of us.

I've read the rules and don't think picking up and playing the base game is going to be any problem but I was wondering how the base game is with only 4 players. I note that A Sword of Storms is specifically for 4 players.

I can take the time tomorrow before our gaming session to read/review A Storm of Swords but only want to do that if A Storm of Swords is significantly better.

In short, should we play this or A Storm of Swords since we only have 4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can, read up and play SoS. The four-player base game is questionably balanced, esp without tweaking it a bit to sort that out.

The Storm of Swords rules are slightly more complicated, so if getting them sorted out in time isn't going to happen then play the base game, but be aware that Lannister will need some taking down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend playing the base game. Add ports but don't use the four player rules in the base rulebook, just eliminate Pyke (and make Ironman's Bay impassible).

The balance is surprisingly good with that small modification. Lannister will be the strong house instead of Baratheon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Storm of Swords is amazing. It's gotten to the point where I don't like having more than 4 people because I don't want to play WITHOUT Storm of Swords.

However, for your first game, it may not be a good idea. There's just a lot going on and it's hard enough to get everything right much less know enough about what's going on to enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansen
msg tools
We just had a 4 player version yesterday evening. I have never tried that before, and it is really Lannister who is favoured by this.
I can imagine that if Ironman Bay is impassable, it is much more even.
SoS is in my opinion a very good expansion in terms of additional cards / rules, however the board sucks terribly, since it was (the 6 or 7 times we played it) always a battle btw 2 parties on one side of the board and 2 on the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
I'd recommend playing the base game. Add ports but don't use the four player rules in the base rulebook, just eliminate Pyke (and make Ironman's Bay impassible).

The balance is surprisingly good with that small modification. Lannister will be the strong house instead of Baratheon.

Yeah this.

Just rule that Pyke doesn't exist (nobody can move into it or occupy it, etc) and make sure that everybody is aware that Lannister gets a slightly better drop than everybody else. That's how I played my first AGOT game, and it was an absolute blast.

Seriously, work your way up to SOS, 'NoPyke', a bit of anti-Lannister bias, and possibly the ports, is all you really need to balance the 4-payer base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Boaventura
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4p game with the original map is horrible. The Houses stays in eternal 1x1 e 1x1. For 4p, try the 4p map that I make for play with my friends (download and print). A 4p game in a good map is wonderfull, because it is very fast and balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.