Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was Memoir designed and finalized knowing it was going to be published by Days of Wonder?
(I can ask the same question for Command & Colors: Ancients, was it designed and finalized as a game before knowing it would be published by GMT?)

If for some reason, C&CA was published by DoW, and Memoir by GMT, would we be playing the same games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, not sure I really understand the reasoning behind this question.

Memoir '44 is a great game (I haven't played C&C:A so I can't comment on it) and I personally don't care who publishes it. However, I have a lot of respect for Days of Wonder. In my opinion, they've more than proven themselves as a competent game publisher. Even though some disagree, I feel that DoW sets the bar very high for games. As I said, I know some disagree, and that's perfectly fine.

So, I'd play Memoir '44 anyway, being the great game it is, but to me it's a huge plus when the publisher is one of the best in the business.

Just my humble 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Richard Borg has been playing these games for a long time. So the game we have is fairly close to the game he plays although we have a lot less expansions.

However, each company puts their own stamp on it as far as production values and final development. So would a GMT Memoir look different? Yes. But not fundamentaly so. Same with a DOW C&C:A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own and love both games. I think Days of Wonder is an amazing company too.

My question could be asked for any game I guess, but we have the privilege in this case to witness the publication of two different games with the same core system and same designer, and I was wondering, components aside, if M44 would of end up the same if published by another company such as for example GMT.

I am not implying anything, just asking if the publisher would have asked to modify the game in any minor or major way that we would be playing a different (perhaps not as great?) game.

Another way of asking the question: If Days of Wonder asks Mr. Borg to put in production his Napoleonics game (assuming there is one...), versus GMT, would each finalized game (not components) be very different than Mr. Borg original design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A_Denis wrote:
I own and love both games. I think Days of Wonder is an amazing company too.

My question could be asked for any game I guess, but we have the privilege in this case to witness the publication of two different games with the same core system and same designer, and I was wondering, components aside, if M44 would of end up the same if published by another company such as for example GMT.

I am not implying anything, just asking if the publisher would have asked to modify the game in any minor or major way that we would be playing a different (perhaps not as great?) game.

Another way of asking the question: If Days of Wonder asks Mr. Borg to put in production his Napoleonics game (assuming there is one...), versus GMT, would each finalized game (not components) be very different than Mr. Borg original design?

Ah, now I see what you meant....thanks for the clarification. Sorry to have missed it earlier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think each game's physical characteristics were an important aspect of the design process.

In particular, I think Borg took advantage of the flexibility provided by blocks to include many more unit types in C&C: Ancients than might otherwise have been in it.

I think there have been some remarks here and there that some people find it hard to tell the differences between some kinds of units in BattleLore. Think how much more of a problem that would be in C&C: A.

In Battle Cry and Memoir '44 there are just a handful of different types of figures and the differences between them are pretty obvious. Special units are indicated with markers (elite, engineer, etc.) rather than having different models.

This is one reason why I think a Napoleonic version might work better with blocks rather than figures because it will be easier to show the different kinds of units. Can you imagine trying to spot the differences between Old Guard, regulars and light infantry? Easy enough for Napoleonic buffs, but a nightmare for the uninitiated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.