Popular Tags: [View All]
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting my 5th solo game of Silverton. Just last game I brought in the Train rules and slogged my way through them. This time I'm using the Snow Plow and Train rules for my first $10,000 Solitaire session.

I've got everything set up, I've got the Excel file up and running, and I'm listening to episode 150 of the Dice Tower while playing. Let's get to it.

I've just refreshed myself on the using 2 surveyors rule to build a second track after the first. I wanted to make sure I needed to roll to successfully build the second. It appears that I do. I'm choosing to use 2 surveyors instead of 2 prospectors because I've seen my games go too slow because I've had to spend 4 or 5 turns to build to my claims. I'm hoping this speeds things up.

My first turn I'm going to try to build straight to Pueblo while claiming the coal mine in Trinidad. I roll a 6 for the second track, so my first attempt at a double-track succeeded! While taking the Trinidad card my constant rule of having to drop at least 1 game component on the floor kicks in. Excuse me while I grab my Prospector. The mine produces 4 coal, and I've made a compromise between using cubes for the chips... I simply turn the chips upside down and count all upside-down chips as one, and if I can quickly find the number on the chip I need then I keep it face up.

Turn two I'm going to try to build straight to Trinidad and also purchase the Denver to Pueblo passenger route. I succeed, but after operating the mine and barely rolling above Depleted, I do a quick cash count - I'm $5 above half of my starting cash. But the $80 from the passenger route plus Coal being $80 right now, I make back $480... or DO I? What have I forgotten? The Train Rule! I have the Power 9 train I started with and I haven't bought another. That means that the stretch of track outside of Denver that's 6 in length means I can only ship 1 load of coal! So my $480 is cut to $160! Looks like I need to stock up on locos!

So looking at my options for mines I see Fairplay has Gold and Leadville has Silver, both for $100 and very similar payout tables. The operating costs for Leadville are $10 cheaper, though, so that's what I'm going for. So far my double-builds have succeeded and I build to Salida from Pueblo. Trinidad now has 7 coal on it and Leadville produced 2 silver - I just hope it doesn't run out too soon. My second Power 9 train means I can now ship 3 coal out of Trinidad, but the price has dropped to $60 (which is much better than Pueblo's $20), so my take for this round will be $240 (which is much less than I spent this round). I end Turn 3 with even more component dropping - this time it's my stack of $100s.

Winter's here, but all my tracks are brown, so I'm not concerning myself with Plows. This time I decide to build to Boulder and Colorado Springs, thinking to buy up the two passenger routes now while I'll still have at least 7, probably much more than that, turns to make money off them. Well, my operations costs were wasted - the second Leadville mine produced 2, but the other two got depleted. My prospects look grim. Luckily my third train card allows me to take all of Trinidad's ore for $100 each, bringing my total back up to $955.

They're just getting to Sam's goodbyes now. Bye, Sam... I'm still trying to 'get over myself', but if you've seen a picture of me you'd know that six jockeys with a step ladder couldn't get accomplish that.

Turn 5 - I decide to build to Leadville and buy the Denver to Colorado Springs route. The build again succeeds, but even my roll of 8 for the Leadville Silver mine can't save it from depletion. So, I have 4 silver waiting for me, but it's only at $200... it's starting value! Do I make a quick $800, or hold out to see what the market does? Trains? I haven't forgotten - the 24s are now available, so I'll trade in one of my 9s for $40 and invest $200 in the future!

Turn 6 and NOOOO, Silver dropped to the lower $200 spot! I'll more than likely sell at the end of this turn, especially since I'm looking at only $720 and no claims! But what to buy? Aspen is one link away, but it's an expensive link. Nothing else is close, so I'm not sure where to build. Looking over the passenger routes I rethink my idea of buying Aspen - I'll go ahead and claim the Leadville route now and build no track this turn. The $390 plus the $800 from the Silver puts me above $1400 (I think... I can't count with this Hey Jude rewrite playing in the background. Heeey, Sam...)

Turn 7 reveals Lumber in Boulder. Yay, Sam. I mean, Yay! (Song's still playing.) But after hitting the Price Change button Silver drops to the bottom of the chart at $100. I don't have a Silver left to sell, but if I can grab Gold or Copper now's the time, since they're both maxxed. The Lumber mill produces 2 loads, and I'm hearing the neighborhood fireworks exploding now. The Dice Tower is winding down, it's at Sam's Top Ten Games. Apparently Twilight Imperium 3 has slipped to Sam's 10 spot. I'd recommend Galactic Emperor as a much faster game.

Turn 8 sees me become a Lumber baron. I've bought Porter and chopped down 4 loads, and Boulder produced another load. Denver's down to $80, but Pueblo has it at $100, so guess where I'm selling this time? Why Porter? I'm building my way south to Santa Fe to build more passenger routes. This is my first unsuccessful double-route build, so I only got to Las Vegas. That town looks so tiny... no mines, no passengers want to go there... I don't see a future for that den of thieves.

Turn 9 and I don't see anything I HAVE to buy right now. I decide to risk Silver again and go ahead and buy Aspen. What's the worst that can happen? Number 5 is Small World? Why? I really don't see what's so wonderful about that game? I don't hate it, don't get me wrong, but it's just a numbers game with pretty artwork! Right? Or I'm just not that good at it, so I'm bitter? I dunno. And Number 3 is BSG? Oh, Jesus Christ, Sam! Your preference for that evil game is probably why Porter just crapped out. But Memoir '44 is number 2? Okay, my respect for you is a little higher now.

Turn 10 ends with no operating mines (I still need to ship the lumber from Porter and the silver from Aspen, and since it's going to cost $360 to get to Aspen I'll wait til the price jumps higher). I have $2265 at this point, which puts me far from the $10000 I need. Hearing Sam praise BSG, plus the fireworks, has distracted me quite a bit so I might have done some Enron-level accounting errors... I don't know.

Okay, what's Tom talking about? What could've been left at Origins that's sooo awful? I must speculate, but later... a second Aspen mine is available, and Silver's jumped to $400!!! But NO, the mine was depleted at the start! Are there rules about your Prospector suffering an 'accident'? Maybe that fall to the floor gave him a concussion?

Turn 12 sees the card come up that lets me swap out all the unclaimed mines! Thank the gods! Let's see what opens up. Some good stuff, but now with The Dice Tower over I want to play one of my Finetune.com lists but I can't, some stupid pop-up is wanting me to try some new fangled feature and I can't just log in and play some tuneage! Dammit! I need some sweet 80s beats! Oh well, back to mining. I'll try Coal in Aspen.

Sorry. Took a five-minute break to watch some fireworks. The neighbors are destroying $60-$125 every 10 seconds! Anyway, back to the game. Turn 13 starts off with cash reserves over $3500. I'm going to risk Gold in Elizabethtown. Well, nice... I get 2 Gold, but alas, Aspen Coal is shut down.

Turn 14 - Bought Westcliffe Silver, which produced 3, but Elizabethtown ran dry. I'm having very, very poor luck keeping mines open. Turn 15, same thing happens. I buy another Lumber mill in Taos which produces 3, but Westcliffe Silver ran out. But selling that silver and the gold I've now got over $6000.

Skipping stuff now... the banging... the constant banging. Anyway, I've built to El Paso and I've got the passenger route, so I'm hoping to be done soon. I've built to my lumber mill... let's see how much I produce there... a total of 6 lumber is waiting on the docks and it's selling for top dollar (well, $200... too bad I don't have a route to SLC.) Four 24 trains should make it an easy trip. $1200 worth of lumber (which I almost drop to the floor, damn that dropping components rule) makes its way north.

On turn 19 I'm sitting on $8700+. Can I squeeze $1300 out of my holdings during this next turn? I'm earning $610 from passenger routes, there's one load of lumber in Taos... let's see what happens. I spend $200 to get to Cloudcraft, I buy the Lumber mill there for $120, and I spend $150 in operating costs. Cloudcraft yields 4 lumber ($200 each), Leadville yields 2 gold ($325 each), Walsenberg gives me 3 coal ($140 each) and Taos craps out. That results in a one-round income of $2500 (if my math is right... oh, the banging) plus $8305 gives me a total of $10805 on turn 19!!! YAY! That's a... a Substantial Loss?

Crap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calderwood Speer
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hahahaha.

Sorry for your loss, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Excellent write-up, Eric...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.