Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Translation help request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

i'm trying to translate the Maori rules to portuguese but i can understand the meaning of the word "lei" and "leis" could you help me explaining me the meaning of such word!

Context:

"Each complete lei counts 10 points."

Thank you

Carlos Abrunhosa
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, it's a wreath made of flowers. The word itself is Hawaiian, but the craft of making them is present throughout Polynesia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_(Hawaii)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
You could also think of this as a 'necklace', or "garland" comprised for bestowed adornment. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abruk wrote:
Hi

i'm trying to translate the Maori rules to portuguese but i can understand the meaning of the word "lei" and "leis" could you help me explaining me the meaning of such word!

Context:

"Each complete lei counts 10 points."

Thank you

Carlos Abrunhosa

Which game? The term used in English depends on the context.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is Maori! I refered it in my inicial post!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
You could also think of this as a 'necklace', or "garland" comprised for bestowed adornment. cool


So is the tradicional flower necklace from Haiwai!?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abruk wrote:
The game is Maori! I refered it in my inicial post!

I thought you were referring to the language Maori. OK
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abruk wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
You could also think of this as a 'necklace', or "garland" comprised for bestowed adornment. cool


So is the tradicional flower necklace from Haiwai!?

Yes. Garland is the best translation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.