Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Third play : GOO was Chtulu, Rules and House rules questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night was our third play, 2 players with 4 characters in total. Aschan Pete, The researcher, the old lady with a green shirt (6 sanity and 4 stam) and the studier (5 stam and 5 sanity).

After 3h 45 min, we sealed 6 gates, 2 of them elder signs, with the doom track on 9 and the terror level at 4 (1 of the level was because a 1 roll on a mythos enviornment card). At a poing, 5 gate were open. Someone in my previous thread said that Chtulu was the second easiest GOO. I really thought he would give us more of the challenge we were looking for, but I guess not.

Third play in a row, I really got lucky again with my random possessions and got lots of good magic/physical + weapons like the lamp, the tommy gun and 2 others with good bonuses. My friend also got lucky again. After 3 plays, no one of us ever went to the general store to by common items just so to try to get a good weapon since we always were set from the beginning. At least in this game, 2 players were LiTaS and 2 was sent to the hospital. I don't know what we are looking for, but it felt again too easy. I guess we are looking to get crushed so we can say this game is hard and have some challenge to try to beat it.

House rules to make the game harder : Do you guys use any house rules to make it harder? Note that I only have the base game, no expensions

One that was posted is to remove 2-3 or all the elder signs in the unique deck.

Do you guys use a house rule so someone with lots of cash cannot stay at curious shoppe and just cycle thru the cards? We used the 'Must buy' house rules. I did the cycle strategy in the end since it was near 2 am and the game was about to be over (unless the mythos card that didn't allow us to sealed gate had appeared). I said to my friend that the cycling strategy was cheezy. Any house rules out there to nullify cycling? I guesss if I play with only 2 elder sign, it will reduce significantly the cycling effect.

From what I understand of the game is that 4 players is the optimal number of players to beat the game? My friend said next time he wants to try 1 player each which means 2 player total. With 2 players, can the game be beatten? I know we wanted more challenge but I actually want a challenge that allow for a slim chance to win the game at least.

Any of you use other house rules to make the game harder?

Game rules questions :

Last night, my friend wanted to trade the deputy wagon to me. I told him that the wagon and gun counted as items for when you ran out of stamina/sanity in arkham/OW but theses were not tradable items. I figured that the cost to get them was high and special so it shouldn't be tradable. Was I right?

Player 2 was on a OW dimension and was on the side (couldn't move next turn) in the square 1. Player 3 was doing is OW encounter on square 1 in a dimension when he got a card that the investigators in the OW may go back to Arkham. So the player 2 was sent back to his gate, on his side, with a explored marquer and player 3 was sent back also earning and explored marker. Next phase, for player's 2 movement, we just put him on his feet. There was also a monster there, my friend fought it and killed him. Technically, was the player 2 required to fight the monster since for his movement, it was just to put him on his feet? I told my friend he didn't have to fight him, but we were looking for some challenge so he kicked his butt!

Bullwhip : Can the player use the Bullwhip ability for another player? I don't think so but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't use houserules so I can't comment on them. However, the "must buy" rule is NOT a house rule but a basic game rule. If you go shopping, you MUST buy one item. And if you have no money, you can't go shopping and cycle through the deck.

Both the Deputy's Gun and Wagon can be traded. You cannot trade the actualy "job" of deputy though.

Being on your side is called being "delayed." Being delayed has no effect on the game except not being able to move or spend movement points. The rest of the game still happens to you. So yes, your friend should have been attacked by the monster as you played because he ended his movement phase in the same location as a monster. NOTE: The "turn" you return from Arkham, you MAY ignore the monster in teh same location. But since you returned after Phase 2 oof that turn, then you would have had to deal with the monster as you did.

Bullwhip, and all other items for that matter, only affect you unless specifically stated otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing the game with one character each.

Then it will be a bit harder and you don't have to tweak the rules any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
After 3 plays, no one of us ever went to the general store to by common items just so to try to get a good weapon since we always were set from the beginning.

General Store remains unutilised for me still, after 82 games. There is just no real reason to shop there, Elder Signs are located at the Curiositie Shoppe (of course, getting hold of them nowadays is nicely harder than in the olden days). Ye Olde Magick Shoppe is even more rarely used. Might have to swing by there when I draw Marie Lambeau due to her PS, but otherwise, meh.

Are you guys picking investigators or using random selection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Bobthesnake wrote:
After 3 plays, no one of us ever went to the general store to by common items just so to try to get a good weapon since we always were set from the beginning.

The scenarios from the second season of the Arkham League mix this up a lot because the Curiosity and Magic shops are closed from the start of the game. Shopping for common items becomes quite desirable then.
Yeah, in the scenarios with no curiosity shop, we spent a LOT of time in the general store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the scenarios you are talking about? Can someone having just the basic game play them? They seem like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if they're all listed out in one place, but look through the Arkham Horror news section on FFG's website:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?etyn=1&ecan=...

The first two were base-game only, but after that they started adding in Dunwich and Black Goat of the Woods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.