Popular Tags: hwjr_rsp [+] [View All]
David Pretty
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't Norway have a capitol hex?

My Avalon Hill version has no capitol hex in Norway. Shouldn't Oslo be in hex T10? Is this a misprint?

Just curious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think it's a misprint. The original Metagaming map does not have a capital in Norway either:

Historically, Oslo fell quickly but the Norwegian forces, supported by the British, continued to oppose the Germans... so it wouldn't make much sense to have Norway surrender automatically with the loss of Oslo.

But, on the other hand, without a capital, it can take the Germans forever to conquer all of Norway unless they send the equivalent of Army Group Center up north to deal with the Norwegians... which is not at all historical, either.

Not that any of this actually matters. In the game as published, the Germans are incapable of invading Norway, and if they bankrupt themselves building enough Amphib and Para points to get the job done they'll likely lose the game as a result.

In a variant scenario that I've been working on, I compromise between the two extremes of capital or no capital: if the Germans capture both T10 and U10, Norway will surrender. This feels about right. It will usually take the Germans two turns to capture Norway, but they don't need to commit a huge Panzer army to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pretty
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Jay.

I'm going to try your variant rule since the temptation to "go historical" here often leads me to invade Norway.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.