Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eduardo espada
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it the cards you yourself put down, or all the cards put down by each player during that trick? For instance: 7788,8899,991010, and I win with QQKK, do I receive all the cards mentioned? Or do other players take their losing tricks back in their hands to be played again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All the cards played are included in the trick. (Note that in most trick-taking games, a trick is made up of exactly one card from each player - this is not true in Tichu, but all the cards played are still included in the trick.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This response is technically correct but it is more fun if everyone takes back their own cards and then replays the same sequence of cards until the first person becomes bored and is declared the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eduardo espada
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, thanks for clearing that up.

Mark, thanks for the sarcasm. No, really. Thanks for taking the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought trick-taking refers to Heart, Spades, Bridge etc, where everybody plays 1 card, and the trick goes to the person with the strongest card.

I don't think of Tichu as trick-taking (it's a climbing game instead), since you can pass but jump in again, and not everybody plays the same amount of cards. Hence, I wouldn't really call anything in Tichu a trick.

It's just semantics, but I think referring to both styles of games as trick-taking glosses over the fact that these are very different genres (e.g. I know a lot of people who love Tichu but hate, Hearts/Spades/Bridge and vice versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sniezek
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not just semantics. A trick is defined as one card played by each player in turn, starting with a leader, after which the cards are evaluated to see which of the players wins. Trick-taking games revolve primarily around the number of tricks taken or the cards captured in the process.

Tichu is foremost a shedding game, where the primary objective is to play out your hand as quickly as possible. It's in the secondary objectives (where neither team manages to shed both their hands before either opponent can) that it shares elements of a trick-taking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
It's just semantics, but I think referring to both styles of games as trick-taking glosses over the fact that these are very different genres (e.g. I know a lot of people who love Tichu but hate, Hearts/Spades/Bridge and vice versa).

On the contrary, I'd say that games where the players successively form and collect pools of cards are a common enough pattern to need a name, and using "trick-taking" to refer only to the Whist family needlessly obfuscates matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sjoholm
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, please move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
selwyth wrote:

On the contrary, I'd say that games where the players successively form and collect pools of cards are a common enough pattern to need a name, and using "trick-taking" to refer only to the Whist family needlessly obfuscates matters.

I think the term you're looking for is "climbing trick" games, where the "trick" continues as long as players keep playing a higher value set to it.

-- Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fuegi
United States
Framingham
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
csniezek wrote:

It's not just semantics. A trick is defined as one card played by each player in turn, starting with a leader, after which the cards are evaluated to see which of the players wins. Trick-taking games revolve primarily around the number of tricks taken or the cards captured in the process.

I actually don't disagree with you. Pretty agnostic on this issue. However, it is truthfully pretty hard to make rules. Don't know if you have played Foppen but it breaks several of the rules above (not every player plays a card in every trick and it is about not losing tricks, winning tricks is secondary) and is pretty obviously, to me at least, a trick taking game. Can think of another game where the 'one card' rule is violated that is also obviously a trick-taking game. Hard to make simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
aarondf@bu.edu wrote:
Don't know if you have played Foppen but it breaks several of the rules above

Yes, if you told someone that Foppen is a trick-taking game in which the goal is to get rid of all your cards before other people do, they'd think you were crazy. But that's what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sniezek
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aarondf@bu.edu wrote:
csniezek wrote:

I actually don't disagree with you. Pretty agnostic on this issue. However, it is truthfully pretty hard to make rules. Don't know if you have played Foppen but it breaks several of the rules above (not every player plays a card in every trick and it is about not losing tricks, winning tricks is secondary) and is pretty obviously, to me at least, a trick taking game. Can think of another game where the 'one card' rule is violated that is also obviously a trick-taking game. Hard to make simple rules.

It's easy to make simple rules; it's hard to make them universally applicable.

Tichu, like many card games is a multiple-mechanic or multi-genre game. While its primary mechanic and goal is shedding/climbing, it has elements of a trick-taking game in that cards captured during shedding have value. (I'm not familiar with Foppen, but I'm a longtime player of trick/meld multigenre games such as Pinochle and Jass.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.