Hide
5 Posts

The Legend of Robin Hood» Forums » Rules

Subject: Random Events - Outlaw Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will McGregor
msg tools
When the random event dice throw determines an outlaw leader shows up, are these placed immediately at the start of the sheriffs turn, or at the beginning of the next outlaws turn?

If the outlaw leaders arrive via the game turn they are placed at the start of the turn, and can then be moved immediately by the outlaw player.

However, if a dice throw brings them immediately into the game, they are at a disadvantage as they cannot move, as they show up after the outlaws turn.

I just got this game, and King Richard showed up on space #3...Prince John was delighted to immediately capture his brother.

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they show up immediately. The Robin Hood player has to plan for their arrival. That means that Maid Marrion can be captured if you're not careful. Richard tends to arrive pretty late in the game, which often results in some fireworks. Also, I think the game ends immediately if Robin and Richard are in the same space, so you have to time things right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will McGregor
msg tools
Yes, as far as Maid Marion and the others are concerned, I believe you are right.

However, upon reading the rules again, I am not so sure about King Richard. When a 1-5 is thrown, the noble or bishop is placed in the numbered road box (13.1). This is clearly mentioned.

However, when King Richard enters, this phrase is not in the rules(13.8). I am wondering if this means that King Richard simply has to move on to the board from this numbered road space during the next outlaw movement phase. On the other hand, its absence may simply be an oversight...

Rule 13.2 also says that only travellers may end their movement in a numbered road box. If Richard shows up immediately, I assume that none of the Sheriffs forces could go to that space and arrest him (capture would take place after movement) that turn. At least he would be able to go into disguise, or the outlaws could get a man or two near him...

In any case, a 2 or a 3 is not a good number to throw! This roll should almost be done hidden from the sheriff...

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W. Johnson
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Outlaw leaders who are scheduled to arrive on a particular turn do so at the beginning of the Outlaw game turn, not during the Random Event Phase.

For leaders that arrive through rolling a 6 random event, I play it that Will Scarlet, Allan-a-Dale, and Main Marion are placed in the appropriate letter box during the random event phase. I have King Richard enter the map at the appropriate road during the next Outlaw Movement Phase.

You are correct, the rules are not exactly clear on this.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to section 13.0 of the original rules, all travellers(Bishops, Nobles) and personalities appear during the Random Events Phase, which occurs at the beginning of the Sheriff Player's turn. If a personality arrives automatically, that is, he/she is due to appear that turn, there is no Random Events die roll that turn. Instead the new character is placed according to their individual rules for placement before the Sheriff Player's Movement Phase. Unfortunately for Robin Hood, this means Sir Guy gets first dibs on Maid Marion, so she will likely need to be rescued from his evil clutches soon after arriving.

As was previously mentioned, King Richard is placed on a numbered road box of entry determined by a die roll(logic dictates a result of 6 would need to be re-rolled, as the boxes are numbered 1-5), much like the travellers, where he is quite safe from his brother's wrath. To support this conclusion, the rules state, "Only travellers may end their Movement Phase in a numbered road box" - since Richard is placed in such a box during the Random Events Phase and not the Robin Hood Movement Phase, there is no conflict with the rules regarding the numbered road boxes, provided the King leaves his box of entry during the Robin Hood Player's subsequent Movement Phase.

That's the way we play it, anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.