Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion Packs - New Units/Capabilities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Valdes-Lora
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
I am a total newbie to this game but I am enjoying it immensely. Played my first two games against myself today (Akragas) and had a lot of fun. (One Carthaginian victory; one Syracusan blowout). Haven't bought the expansion packs yet (although I'm sure I will) and I have a question. Do these have new units with new capabilities, abilities, limitations, rules, etc? Or do they consist essentially of different armies (i.e. colored blocks) of units with essentially the same designations (LI, War, HI, MI, etc.) and capabilities as those in the base game?

Many thanks.

Mario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mvaldeslora wrote:
I am a total newbie to this game but I am enjoying it immensely. Played my first two games against myself today
Did you win?
Quote:
Haven't bought the expansion packs yet (although I'm sure I will) and I have a question. Do these have new units with new capabilities, abilities, limitations, rules, etc?
Some, but not many. Mostly the new armies use the same units with different coloured blocks and different stickers. There are some new rules for later period Romans, chariots, etc.

But the most important thing is the different mix of units - armies with more or less stress on certain types of forces. This game takes the attitude that you should have unique blocks for each army, even though most of them have the same abilities as those of other armies. Other similar games such as Ancients I have two generic armies, and the scenarios tell you what units make up that nationality's forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Even though it's got basically the same units, the barbarian armies from Expansion #2 are quite unique and play a lot differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Eastern"armies play a lot differently too. One has to realign the mind a little bit to play them successfully.

After the base game, the new units added have been horse archers, barbarian chariots... upgrades to Roman legions...camel "cavalry"... and some new special rules that are interesting (like medium infantry units with bow capability)... The upcoming expansions have cataphracts-- both horse and camel.

Wulf nailed it- the different MIX is what is really different, and it's significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side note, Love the new Avatar KD Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Valdes-Lora
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
I assume that some kind of phalanx unit is introduced in Expansion Pack 1. How are the strengths and weaknesses of this unique unit modeled using the CC:A system?

Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "special" phalanx unit or formation-- the Greeks/Macedonians have "heavy infantry" or "medium infantry" which is basically like any other.

There are some scenario special rules for Romans v phalanx that highlight some disadvantages of the system.

You will find several approaches for making something "special" out of this on CCA ancients net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword of Gideon
msg tools
mbmbmb
The lack of a distinction between heavy formations was my only nag, given that there were so many different categories of light troops. I guess Mr Borg thought the distinctions between light troops were far more significant than those between Phalanx and Legion, say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.