Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the files section I have uploaded a 4x6 note card that is a player reference sheet. Here is the link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44269

A friend and I have modified a couple of the rules and added another that is not in the rule book these are noted in purple. Here is the explanation for the rules change.

The rule we added was that only the QB may be positioned directly behind the OLOS in the initial formation of the offensive player. The reason we made this change was that if the offense placed both of his knight pieces directly to the right and left of the quarterback the defensive player would not be able to stop a five yard gain on every play.

The sequence of the play would be as follows:

1) Hike Ball directly to Knight piece (either one)
2) Defensive player moves he can't take the piece because of its position still behind the OLOS.
3) Offensive player jumps his knight piece across the OLOS and onto the DLOS for a five yard gain.

For this reason we also discarded the rule allowing a direct snap to a player directly beside the QB. Meaning that the QB will always be the piece receiving the ball from the center.

The last rule change we made was that once the offensive piece with the football has passed the LOS onto the defensive side any hand offs of the football must be either lateral or backward. This is more for a realism standpoint not allowing illegal forward shuffle type pass. With that in mind if a defensive player was to get the football from the offense after a fumble that player would also only be able to hand off backwards or lateral as well.

Luke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there ever any follow up on this? I just acquired the Canadian version of the game, and the same problem is apparent: if you direct snap to a Knight, he can jump over the O-line for a 5 yards gain on every play, and there is nothing the defense can do about it.

I can't believe this went through initial playtesting without being caught...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I have not heard a response from the designer to this rule question. However, the game plays fine if you don't allow a direct snap to a piece that moves like a knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is old but I will reply anyway. The knight is a TE not a RB, so he can line up in position to take a direct snap, unless he motions first. If he motions, then the defense gets to counter motion before the snap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The TE indeed needs to motion prior to taking the snap, but there are no defensive motion that would prevent him from direct take the snap, then dive in the defensive line for a 5 yards gain.

He can do that again and again until he scores a touchdown.

Yes, it is easily house-ruled away, but it should have been caught in testing in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm confused then. The OP gave a scenario with double TE in the backfield from the onset. That obviously is breaking the spirit of the game or else one just lineup any player in any position.

Your point is a little different, in that you state that TE can lineup in a traditional TE position then motion pre-snap and still get an automatic 5 yards. I just the game and have not played it yet. Can you tell me how the automatic 5 yards works? Just looking at the game I can't see it. The defense gets to move after the TE motions then again after the snap and before the TE moves. Two space up and one right or left puts the TE on top of a defensive tackle at the end of the turn, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. It doesn't really matter how the TE get to its position before the snap. It gets a direct snap, defense moves but can't reach him, TE moves two spaces up and one space left or right, landing on a defensive tackle and ending the turn.

Then you calculate progress. Since the ball went forward one row, that's a 5 yards gain. Two such plays give you a first down.

Rinse, latter, repeat until a touchdown. There is nothing that can stop you except a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read the rules I did not see the rule allowing for a ball carrier to finish his move on top of a defender. This self sacrifice rule seems odd and unnecessary. The whole point of defense is to block paths, the self sacrifice negates defensive formations and adjustments. I guess the first house rule is get rid on the self sacrifice (defenders' positions are protected).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.